Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about an hour ago I was riding my bike on a 2 lane road less than 1/4 mile from my parents house and some highschooler looking kid threw something at me and hit me!!! I followed the car as fast as I could and found it dropping off some kid in the next subdivision... so I know where this kid lives, or atleast a kid that was in the car when the crap got thrown at me!

I went back to where the kid threw the object to find a "dutchmaster" blunt case that someone turned into a gheto pipe!!!

Now I am wondering what to do... I think I am going to put a message into the blunt case and leave it in their mail box... but I dont know what to say...

This is the first time anyhting like this has ever happened to me and boy was I heated when it happened...

anyone have any advise on what to say or have a similar experience?

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
Its all your usernames fault. :p

I agree that you should call the local authorities. Hold the kid accountable.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silentfoe said:
Its all your usernames fault. :p
thats karma for ya, but when I was making the username I was thinking I would be the one doing the shooting, not the other way around...

to add to before, I dont really want to press charges and my dad being a retired po9 he says that unless I want to press charges the po9 arent gonna/can't do anything...

I think im better off leaving it in the mailbox with a nice note....

(and besides, the cops make me sooooo nervous for some reason....)

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I'd report it, especially if I knew where an involved person lived. A few months ago I was out mtb, and my friends and I were standing on the side of the road in a small parking area at a trailhead. All of a sudden, something crosses my line of vision so fast, I didn't even register that I'd seen something until it hit the car to my left. These jerks had thrown a full water bottle at us. It was at the level of my head/neck and could have seriously done damage. Time for some kids to learn a lesson.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
It missed you this time, but what about all the other cyclist out there that these kids harassed that day? I have had driver laugh as they run you off the road, only to **it their pants when you reach through the window grabbing them by the collar. Any projectile thrown from a moving vehicle can be fatal if it has any mass. An empty glass bottle, full water bottle, rock... you get the point.

Understand you don't want to cause trouble for the kid. If it were me I would press charges or at the very minimum have the police in hand when discussing the matter with the kids parents. (I don't know how easy it would be to press charges and have them dropped after the fact, but it might be worth looking into depending upon how compliant the kid acts when faced with what him and his friends did.

·
Registered
278 Posts
civil said:
Call the police.

I know a local cyclist that was killed in a similar incident.
I'd call the police as well, or at least go around there and have a chat with his parents.

·
Mouth-Breather / Huffer
650 Posts
Report.

Even if you came through the unfortunate incident unscathed, the next cyclist (or pedestrian, child, etc.) might not be so lucky. While it is unlikely that the five-0 will pursue the matter beyond simply taking a report, should another incident take place and a cyclist is hurt, the first report will enhance the likelihood of the justice being served.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
I had a guy throw a cigarette at me once. I flicked him off and kept riding. Didn't really bother me too much at the time but in hindsight I should have got his tag and called the police.

I agree with others - someone who is that stupid needs a reality check.

·
Registered
296 Posts
dog.gone said:
Report.

Even if you came through the unfortunate incident unscathed, the next cyclist (or pedestrian, child, etc.) might not be so lucky. While it is unlikely that the five-0 will pursue the matter beyond simply taking a report, should another incident take place and a cyclist is hurt, the first report will enhance the likelihood of the justice being served.
This is exactly right. Right now it's your word against his, but the next time if someone else files a report it has become a pattern. Hopefully he will understand this and stop acting like an ahole.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I understand how you feel. I had a cup of ice thrown at me once and it stunned the heck out of me. Lucky little prick got away too. I tend to get so mad about stuff like that that I know I couldn't control myself and would probably want to kill. But I do believe in Karma and I think that whatever they did they will get paid back somewhere down the road of life. I truely believe it works. But even if it doesn't, a person with that kid's disposition in life will not have good fortune.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
Find out what time the mail truck goes thru that area, put the 'evidence' in a baggie w/ a note, and place it in the box immediately after the mail truck moves on.

The note can simply say: "I know where you live."

Then, roll away, come back around the block, and feign a flat repair while you wait for the mail to be retrieved. Be entertained.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
Too much effort, you say? That's what I wanted you to realize.

What's the likelihood that the driver saw you chasing on day 1? If he/she did, then you've made your point.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bigpedaler said:
Too much effort, you say? That's what I wanted you to realize.

What's the likelihood that the driver saw you chasing on day 1? If he/she did, then you've made your point.
yea, after much pondering of my options and such, I think I will let karma take care of this, I know they saw me as I passed the kid's house, and I was informed by talking on the phone with the po9 that if I put the blunt case and a note in their mailbox I will get into trouble as it is a federal offense to put anything other than mail into a mailbox... (not that I really care)

anyhow I know they saw me chasing them so I agree, my point is served...

but if I ever see this kid throwing anything else out of his car I will live up to my name and to a drive-by-bike-shooting............................... (proabbly not though)

on a lighter note... anyone follow the weight weenie section? is there a post on the lightest handgun? or one that is specifically made to be fired from a bike? haha joking... seriously...

thanks for the input from yall... dont get hit... its a war out there...

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
Lets see. I've had a softball, tinfoil ball, a sandwich and a beer can thrown at me. All missed, all kids and they all got away with it. Last year I was purposely cut off and pushed into a traffic island...... He didn't get away. It was ugly but worth it. :)
J

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
+1 for the Tar & Feathering. I usually just follow people til they stop and beat them, but since that moment has passed, you might as well have some non-violent fun. Grab a couple buddies, wear grotesque masks to conceal your identities and really scare the crap out of him, say not a word to him, but kidnap the little bastard, bind him, blindfold, transport him to a nondescript storage unit, strip, tar and feather him thoroughly, and leave him off on the steps of your capital building, chained to a sandwich board stating "I throw things from my car at passing cyclists."

Drop his clothes off back at his house.
Otherwise, that'd be stealing. ...and that just wouldn't be right.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,492 Posts
I say report it. Show the cops the paraphernalia used as ammo against you. They may not arrest, but when the parents find out about both cases, you'll bet that kid gets his just desserts.

With teens, you gotta show them no mercy. They'll think it funny and do it again. Letting 'karma' take care of it is a copout. You know where the bastidge lives. You have the drug paraphernalia used as a weapon, and you probably have a decent description of his buddy's car. Make the punks pay.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts