Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty then, its about time i looked into getting some illumination so as to avoid killing myself. With some social night rides on the agenda i need a light.

Im looking for something at least 10w and im looking to spend up to around $125-130. Anyone have any good recommendations? The cygolite nightrover with a NiMH battery is looking promising but im keen to know my options...

Cheers
Ben

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Welcome to the dark side from me too Ben.

I can't offer advice in the the sub $200 range, but I will second Aaron's comments - more light is better. I must point out though that 10w in HID or LED would be plenty.

Personally, I spent a little more than I wanted to and got a TrailTech HID from BatterySpace.com. It's a 10w HID helmet mounted light with Li ion battery. It cost me $340 landed in Kalgoorlie.

Anyone got a stadium they want lit up? :)

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Registered
524 Posts
How handy are you?

whataboutben said:
Alrighty then, its about time i looked into getting some illumination so as to avoid killing myself. With some social night rides on the agenda i need a light.

Im looking for something at least 10w and im looking to spend up to around $125-130. Anyone have any good recommendations? The cygolite nightrover with a NiMH battery is looking promising but im keen to know my options...

Cheers
Ben
You can make your own lights If you can handle a soldering iron and basic wiring diagrams. I posted a link to this guys site a few weeks ago. I haven't had a close look at his home made lights as yet but he may be able to shed some light on the subject for you :D

Here's an exert to give you an idea what he's on about- 'Because it's such a bLast belting down a narrow tunnel of light on a bumpy firetrail, and I was aghast at the cost of reasonable commercial systems, I made my own el cheapo push bike lights. Suddenly I could see and be seen. This early article was originally published by Oz-on-Dirt, a one time MTB ezine.
Like all home tinkerers, I've moved on, and have now made several models you might be interested in - or inspired by. They all have several things in common - they are cheap, simple to build, bright and very effective.

The links point to a number of other home made lights sites - mostly much fancier than mine.'

sounds like the go eh? :)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fathers/lightstoc.htm

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think i'm good enough to make my own really and i cant really afford to outlay for HID (even though their so cool) for the time being i might just go a moderately priced one and when work allows i'll upgrade. I hate being a uni student sometimes, so broke.

·
Registered
524 Posts
whataboutben said:
I dont think i'm good enough to make my own really and i cant really afford to outlay for HID (even though their so cool) for the time being i might just go a moderately priced one and when work allows i'll upgrade. I hate being a uni student sometimes, so broke.
I went ahead and read the articles and I'm going to have a crack at making my own. The MK IV version looks like the go to me :)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Just what I was looking for. I looked at the website and found a 13w HID for us$220. Did you get the 6 degree spot or the 12 degree flood? Any advice? Do you have to pay GST when bringing in from US?

The helmet mount looks a bit dodgy, works ok?

Thanks

Kalgrm said:
Personally, I spent a little more than I wanted to and got a TrailTech HID from BatterySpace.com. It's a 10w HID helmet mounted light with Li ion battery. It cost me $340 landed in Kalgoorlie.

Graeme

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Hi All Mountain,

I'm happy with mine so far, but you may want to read this thread, especially the later posts. It seems that a few people are having problems with them. Mine is absolutely great.

I got the 6 degree spot and mounted it to a strip of sheet aluminium, which I then cable-tied to my helmet. It works very well. The spot is "hot" in the middle, but the side scatter is certainly strong enough to see the closer and peripheral details without needing to divert your head's direction fro mthe track in front.

I did not get stung for GST, but that's just hit and miss (the ol' Aussie Customs Roulette .....). I also bought film worth $560 from the UK last week and that got by without GST too.

Cheers,
Graeme

·
me likey bikey
46 Posts
torpedo7 do (or at least did) have a good deal going on some lights. $90 and I thought they were quite good, I reckon you could rig them up with some zip-ties to your helmet no worries as well.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Ben,

I really think as long as you go for a light with 10 watts or more in a Halogen, you cant go too wrong.

Yeah fair enough "xxx" watts are brighter, but really I'm sure most riders can have fun and light the track up quite fine with 10 watts.

If you're still addicted to nightriding in a year's time (and you will be :D), then maybe you can look at buying a $1000 set of lights.

NiMH is leaps and bounds ahead of NiCad cells IMO. Definitely worth the extra outlay.

I can't really recommend a specific product because it's been so long since I've looked at Halogen based lights. Personally I'd rather a light with a single 10 watt bulb, then one with two fives. Yeah I know it's still the same wattage, but I'd rather have a single bright light then twice as much dull light.

I don't think you can really go too far wrong with most halogen lights around the kind of wattage your looking at.

Don't forget to check out the reviews here at MTBR: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Low Rider

What set of lights have you got? HID? What do you think of the cheap HID's such as those used by Kalgrm? 13w HID for under $400 seems like an absolute bargain.

Why is the cost of HID so expensive compared to halogen?

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Hi All Mountain,

I'm running a Luxeon LED based system, which is a mix of a early Nightlightning Endurenz system (www.nightlightning.co.nz) and my own DIY experimentation.

I'm running three 3 watt Luxeons pushed a little harder then spec, with Carclo optics and driven by my own controller.

Plenty of lumens for some serious nightriding. :D

The system compares very favourably to a 20 watt halogen in brightness, but with a brilliant white colour temperature which IMO is better then a few HID systems I've seen of late which are a little more on the blue side.

I recently did a night ride continually swapping between my light and a 20 watt halogen, and while the halogen might be a tiny bit brighter, the beam pattern of the Endurenz and the nice colour temperature definitely illuminates the trail a lot, lot better.

Nightlightning also make some neat Halogen systems, which although a little on the expensive side, are really good lights.

Aussie pricelist here: www.nightlightning.co.nz/NightlightningAustralia.htm

But don't listen to me, I'm a little biased!! :D :p

The TrailTech HID is awesome value for money, and a great light. Cheap yes, but it doesn't lack quality.

I'm under the impression that Battery Space have fixed the issue with the battery protection on the Li Ion cells, I'm not sure if they've made the protection on their cells a little more resilient, or if they've made their light a little less harsh on packs when starting up.

No matter which way you go, if you run into problems with a Li Ion pack, it's and easy fix.

Sounds like a bargain and an awesome light to me.

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Low Rider

Thanks mate, never heard of this system before and is exactly what I was looking for.

I was thinking of USE Exposure LED until I discovered you can get cheap HID. Checked out the Endurenz and I like the system. I am after 4 hours run time to match my longest night ride, without huge batteries. LED's seem to be efficient with good light quality, and simple. I've still got another month or two to decide on cheap HID or LED. I would like to retire my current power hungry halogens.

Happy Trails.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Hey Kalgrm (or anyone else with experience of the Trailtech's).
I have just ordered a set of these including NiMh battery and charger but ave heard that there have been some issues with the charger which has lead to some people's battery packs getting fried.
Just wondered if you are still happy with yours and have had no problems in this regard.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok i just got myself a pair of cygolite 12w NiMH dual beam halogen lights and i'm suprised. I went for a night ride the other night (broke my nocturnal riding cherry) and found that at the moment the lights put out enough power to cover how fast i go. Certainly not the brightest by any standards but at the moment they'll do nicely.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Yeah, I still think as long as you have 10 watts or more you can ride trails quite all right. Maybe upgrade in the future when the addiction really sets in. :D

I'm sure one day you'll put most car headlights to shame like some of us!!

Dave.

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
TR said:
Hey Kalgrm (or anyone else with experience of the Trailtech's).
I have just ordered a set of these including NiMh battery and charger but ave heard that there have been some issues with the charger which has lead to some people's battery packs getting fried.
Just wondered if you are still happy with yours and have had no problems in this regard.
G'day TR,

I'm very happy with my light - none of the problems that others seem to be facing. I have the Li ion battery - it's the one others had problems with. If you are using the NiMH you should not have any worries.

I found another use for my light whilst in Tassie recently - as a spot light from the car window for showing the kids the wombats and devils by the road near Cradle Mt.

Cheers,
Graeme

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Kalgrm said:
G'day TR,

I'm very happy with my light - none of the problems that others seem to be facing. I have the Li ion battery - it's the one others had problems with. If you are using the NiMH you should not have any worries.

I found another use for my light whilst in Tassie recently - as a spot light from the car window for showing the kids the wombats and devils by the road near Cradle Mt.

Cheers,
Graeme
Nope.
5 of us with NiMH batteries and chargers from Batteryspace and 5 of us had to replace the charger straight away.
2 or 3 of us actually had our batteries wrecked by the batteryspace charger even when used with a US-Australia transformer. I also tried an Aussie charger with similar outpts with no success. All 5 of us ended up using Nightlightning chargers and batteries which are great.

·
ADIDAB
578 Posts
For those looking for spare batteries you should look at www.batterybook.com. They do all sorts of batteries (Li-ion, Ni-MH and Ni-cad) and chargers and can make one up custom to your specs. I had a 9aH NiMH battery made up in stick form and it has been great. A little heavy but when stuffed in my Camelback and lighting my 15w Vistalite, lasts a looooong time.

Aussie too (based in Perth) so it's all good...

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Sorry to hear you had problems TR. I read the other thread about sub $200 lights and noted the problems you are facing - it makes me very glad I went with the Li-ion battery and its fair-dinkum charger. I'm still worried I'll hit a snag down the line though .......

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
Eric from Nightlightning sources his chargers and possibly a few battery packs from Siomar Battery Industries (www.batterybook.com).

I've been abusing a Li Ion charger and a couple of packs for a while now with no issues. Very happy.

Those poor animals... They won't be able to see for weeks!! :D

Cheers, Dave.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.