Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been suspensionless for the last month or so as the suspension systems of various bikes undergo tweaking/repair. I have thus had to "make do" with the stand-by rigid Zion. I have enjoyed riding the thing so much, I thought a retrospective was in order. Rigid riding is not my usual cup of tea, but I am amazed at the competence of this relatively simple single speed bicycle

My records show I paid $249 for the frame on 1/4/07, so we are at the three year point for this bike. Initially I built it up rigid with Zion fork and Mary bars.

It has gone through lots of different configurations of bars, stems and forks. I found it to be a bit on the er, flexy side when paired with a suspension fork. It really found its niche when ridden rigid.

When I obtained the Milk Money about a year and a half ago, I realized I no longer had any need for a hardtail, so I had a run off between the Zion, and Ventana El-Comandante, and a Rig frame as to which would be the rigid trail bike, which would be the commuter, and which would get the boot. The Zion came out on top of the rigid trail bike category due to its near perfect geometry, forgiving ride quality, and overall fun-ness. Had I been choosing a hardtail, however, I think the Rig would have edged it out. The Ventana has been relegated to SS commuter duty where it serves admirably, while the Rig frame sits on a shelf waiting for someone to love it.

I have ridden it in a bunch of conditions:

It has been the star of one video:

It continues to perform and please. Initial build was pretty budget, but over the years, the nice stuff has migrated to the frame as I decided it was my main ride. I recently treated it to a Flow front wheel and wish I had done that a while back.

I have settled on some big, wide cheap Al bars

And a cheap carbon fork.

To me, the frame feels most like a 1st generation Inbred I got to ride for a while. Just a really nice springy steel feel.

The set screw EBB has never moved or squeaked in three years of use which I could not say for the Bushnell unit in the Ventana, or the Rig EBB (which was the worst).

There is little I would change about it. Perhaps slightly shorter than the current 17.3" chainstays, perhaps a bit slacker on the front end. Neither are big issues. I get slight and occasional toe buzz on the front which would be corrected if I rode a properly sized frame.

The only frame currently tempting me out there is the Canfield Nimble 9 which corrects both of the above issues, and hopefully rides as sweet. I have also considered going with an On-One Carbon fork for a little extra A-C, more offset, and increased burliness compared to the Exotic.

Otherwise, I will continue to ride it and enjoy it. It is easy to be tempted away by the more capable suspension frames, but I need to resist temptation and try to ride this bike a lot more when the bouncy bikes return to duty. It simply can not be beat in the grin/dollar ratio. It is a pity Jenson quit making these frames. I hope they return.

Pics from today:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I have a Zion 737 white/geared frame I bought back during Jenson's final liquidation of that frame. It is still sitting in it's original container waiting to be built up. (delayed due to illness).I hope I will enjoy mine as much as you have. :thumbsup:

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
I must say that i am hoping to learn the $$ to grin ratio thing with my newest purchase. I have a GT Peace waiting for me at the LBS. I have a Surly 1x1 that has been my go to ride for the last season in spite of some pretty nice squishy bikes in the quiver.

This almost belongs in Passion........

·