Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. So, I need to get moving on a fork to go with my Soma B-Side frame purchase. I'm looking to get the Velvet RL2. The fork I'm looking at would be a closeout deal. Here are my questions:

1. Is there any extra care or prep needed up front when buying a previous model year fork that has possibly been sitting around for a while?

2. Are there any huge differences between the 2012 Velvet and the 2013?

3. Any reason whay I should not buy this product? I see generally good reviews. This would be my first air spring fork. I'm 6'2" and about 210ish lbs fully geared. I don't race (except my own PR times) and in general my tires pretty much keep to the ground.

Thanks in advance-

J.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can't comment specifically on the Velvet, however, I just installed the 2014 Sweep RL2 that has a very similar damping cartridge and air spring as the Velvet. This fork feels great, and is very simple to service and maintain.

In terms of what to look for, take a look at the condition of the stanchions and seals. If it needs work, they are really quite easy to tear down and rebuild.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I love my Velvet fork. I think mine is a 2013 model. I'm a bit heavier than you so I don't think you'll have any issues.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I would contact X-Fusion directly for clarification of differences between 2012 and 2013. As I understand it, they made a switch to the improved damper with mid-valve on the 2012 forks, but I'm not sure if that was a clean break from 2011 to 2012, or if it was a running 2012 change. Personally, I would want to make sure I was getting the current style mid-valve damper, which is excellent..... seems like it should have more knobs to twiddle, until you ride it enough to dial in your air pressure and break the fork in....then every other fork on the market seems like it has way too many knobs to twiddle. These forks just work, period.
Nothing to worry about as far as the fork sitting in inventory somewhere for a year or two unless there's obvious problems with the seals or something, but you should do a lower leg service fairly early anyway, on any fork, IMO, to make sure the foam rings are nice and juicy, and the oil volume is to spec. Mine were a little bit lower on oil than the manual calls for. After that service they worked even better.
Enjoy! Great fork!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would contact X-Fusion directly for clarification of differences between 2012 and 2013. As I understand it, they made a switch to the improved damper with mid-valve on the 2012 forks, but I'm not sure if that was a clean break from 2011 to 2012, or if it was a running 2012 change. Personally, I would want to make sure I was getting the current style mid-valve damper, which is excellent..... seems like it should have more knobs to twiddle, until you ride it enough to dial in your air pressure and break the fork in....then every other fork on the market seems like it has way too many knobs to twiddle. These forks just work, period.
Nothing to worry about as far as the fork sitting in inventory somewhere for a year or two unless there's obvious problems with the seals or something, but you should do a lower leg service fairly early anyway, on any fork, IMO, to make sure the foam rings are nice and juicy, and the oil volume is to spec. Mine were a little bit lower on oil than the manual calls for. After that service they worked even better.
Enjoy! Great fork!
Thumbs up for a killer post. All sorts of goods in here...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the feedback everyone. After looking at pictures I realize it's a 2013 clearance model. I assumed that it was a 2012. Should be placing my order for it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done and done! Tapered Tube with X15 and remote. Though, I'm not sure if I will set it up with remote. Now that I definitely know what type of hub I'll need I can get started on the wheelset search... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts