Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In no particular order:

Thule Sidearm
  • This was a magical find. I had to divest of my "preferred" car for a company car - hey, free f'ing coche biotches, get some.
  • Problem was I had to wait for Thule to produce the fit kit as nobody was making them yet for '06 models. Works like a charm.
  • As stout as my Yak Vipers and that's a lot to say for a lifelong Yakima devotee. Clears my 21" 29er just barely. Bigger frames with longer wheelbasii will probably have issues. Nicely done Thule, nicely done (i.e. good acquisition of Sportworks).
Kris Holm's Rims
  • Astounding. Yeah, they're porcine, but so am I. Took the bike to a different level. So laterally stiff. So wide.
  • They made my already grippy Ignitors different tires. I was way too chicken turd to push the new limits of adhesion. Besides, I had beer and frozen bar pizza to get to.
  • I found myself innately overcorrecting for wheelsets that had previously flexed. None here. 100% point and shoot. No poop. Screw the extra weight, these things are amazing. I was literally giggling.
  • Much PSI testing to ensue.
Middleburn RS7s
  • The teets. Big, sloppy, juicy teets. Stiffer than my old Turbines. As stiff, if not stiffer, than my Atlas X-Types. The Duo single ring was glorious. Even without a basher I dropped ZERO chains...and I tried.
  • The only thing I did wrong was get too greedy by removing an extra two links of chain which eff'd up the shifting to the biggest rear cog. Gotta love da Powerlink you filthy mofos.
  • My next bike will have Middleburns, as will the one after that and so on and so forth.
  • British chix have Play-Doh teef.

Attachments

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
Soupboy said:
In no particular order:

Thule Sidearm
  • This was a magical find. I had to divest of my "preferred" car for a company car - hey, free f'ing coche biotches, get some.
  • Problem was I had to wait for Thule to produce the fit kit as nobody was making them yet for '06 models. Works like a charm.
  • As stout as my Yak Vipers and that's a lot to say for a lifelong Yakima devotee. Clears my 21" 29er just barely. Bigger frames with longer wheelbasii will probably have issues. Nicely done Thule, nicely done (i.e. good acquisition of Sportworks).
Kris Holm's Rims
  • Astounding. Yeah, they're porcine, but so am I. Took the bike to a different level. So laterally stiff. So wide.
  • They made my already grippy Ignitors different tires. I was way too chicken turd to push the new limits of adhesion. Besides, I had beer and frozen bar pizza to get to.
  • I found myself innately overcorrecting for wheelsets that had previously flexed. None here. 100% point and shoot. No poop. Screw the extra weight, these things are amazing. I was literally giggling.
Middleburn RS7s
  • The teets. Big, sloppy, juicy teets. Stiffer than my old Turbines. As stiff, if not stiffer, than my Atlas X-Types. The Duo single ring was glorious. Even without a basher I dropped ZERO chains...and I tried.
  • The only thing I did wrong was get too greedy by removing an extra two links of chain which eff'd up the shifting to the biggest rear cog. Gotta love da Powerlink you filthy mofos.
  • My next bike will have Middleburns, as will the one after that and so on and so forth.
This is not an attack, just a question. Where do you ride that you can get away with just a single front 34/36? chainring? I honestly can't imagine any ride I've ever done where that would be high or low enough gearing. You don't seem to be averse to gears, why just the one front ring?

·
what a joke
2,279 Posts
Your car is a joke.

Send me your I9 wheels.

Is that the same front wheel MC lent me when we hit Porc rim? If so it is focking sweet!

When your fully efaced and dilated get ready to push.

Edit: When did you get times?

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
b12yan88 said:
you just killed the single speed board.
Nah, I ride a singlespeed (along with geared bikes). This is not a singlespeed. My experince on heavier FS bikes is that no matter how strong you are more gears is always better, at least where I live.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Soupboy said:
In no particular order:

Thule Sidearm
Kris Holm's Rims
Middleburn RS7s
sweet review!

2 things:

1) for some reason I am bothered that I share the same cranks and bike rack with Soupbiatch

2) your words, as usual, flow like poetry. you should really consider doing Hallmark cards you big ahole.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Rivet said:
This is not an attack, just a question. Where do you ride that you can get away with just a single front 34/36? chainring? I honestly can't imagine any ride I've ever done where that would be high or low enough gearing. You don't seem to be averse to gears, why just the one front ring?
Actually....that ring is most likely a 29t.

B

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
donkey said:
Actually....that ring is most likely a 29t. B
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! Folks, we have a winner!

I should have pointed that out in the initial post. 29t front and 1x/32 rear. It had been a 1x/34 rear but the cassette got stuck on the other carrier so I dusted this one off.

Gearing? I live in MN but have found that pushing anything beyond 1:1 to largely be an annoying chore. Spinning 22tx34t, to me, is about as much fun as shatting in your chamois and then riding for another two hours. I can carry my bike and hop uphill on one leg faster. All that being said, I've got the spider option too that will let me run standard 3 rings or 2 rings (29t/20t) + basher if that makes anyone more comfortable about how I set up my bike.:thumbsup:

Fo and Oz - I'm gunna put it on your old ladies.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Rivet said:
well, I hardly know anyone who uses a big ring--we all use bashguards. Gearing is plenty high enough for most off road use with a 32/34t. And it is usually low enough. Yeah, the granny is nice for long uphills, but you can always pedal standing in the middle ring. So why not drop the granny and big rings? save some weight, since they aren't used so often, anyway.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ozlongboarder said:
Your car is a joke.

Send me your I9 wheels.

Is that the same front wheel MC lent me when we hit Porc rim? If so it is focking sweet!

When your fully efaced and dilated get ready to push.

Edit: When did you get times?
Your dinghy is a joke.

No.

Yes. Yes.

Several years ago. I jumped on the CB bandwagon and these collected dust. Then I realized I disliked the CBs, sold them all, and went back to the Times. Just right.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exactly, between premature cleat wear and disposable bearings I came to loathe CB. I don't care how many "free" rebuild kits I get. If they fall apart once a month they are worthless to me.

They do clear mud well...which is practically important to relatively few MTBers since we're not supposed to ride in mud anyway...

Padre said:
CB...cycling's first disposable pedal.:D

·
Registered
618 Posts
CB pedals are the only pedals I have ever had that I couldn't get out of reliably - embarrassing slow speed tip-over in Boulder Canyon razor gravel taught me a good lesson.

After really really trying to like the CBs, I went back to my cheap SPDs and have never been happier. I do want to try the Time's though. But do the cleats wear out fast like CBs?

Oh yeah, love the Sidearm.

Thanks for the review.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.