1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey Lee, a question on the GoPro mount(s) for you if you don't mind. I picked up one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LK8P14/?tag=slickdeals for very, very short money to experiment with. I got to thinking I might be able to mate this with the GoPro chest mount using their tripod adapter in conjunction with the harness and the grab bag of mounts. Think it'll work? Just curious about experimenting, at this point I'm just waiting for the GoPro HD to be released to pull the trigger on a helmet/mount specific cam.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skunkty - it looks interesting but (Im guessing here) i would bet that the device has the "female" end of the mount. when i look at the GoPro mount for tripods that's also got the female end of the mount. So unless there's a male to male adapted I wonder how you'll get attach that unit to the GoPro tripod mount adapter?

·
Registered
763 Posts
LeeL said:
skunkty - it looks interesting but (Im guessing here) i would bet that the device has the "female" end of the mount. when i look at the GoPro mount for tripods that's also got the female end of the mount. So unless there's a male to male adapted I wonder how you'll get attach that unit to the GoPro tripod mount adapter?
Ahh, forgot that from my earlier research (GoPro tripod mount being a female connection). I believe my thought at the time was to get a small piece of threaded rod and place a couple lock washers between the mount and camera I linked too. Probably would be a PIA, obviously I'm bordering on trying too hard to turn that camera into something it's not. Helmet mount wouldn't be too hard I'd imagine, but I'm really liking the look of the chest mount angle, seems the most stable and best "I'm ripping this trail" feel from the vids you've been posting.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the threaded rod would work. It'd be nice to do actually as then itd be secure. A lot more secure certainly then my zipties and duct-tape solution. Plus then you could tilt the camera. Let me look into that - thanks for the idea. I also like home-brew mounts

·
Registered
111 Posts
skunkty14 said:
Ahh, forgot that from my earlier research (GoPro tripod mount being a female connection). I believe my thought at the time was to get a small piece of threaded rod and place a couple lock washers between the mount and camera I linked too. Probably would be a PIA, obviously I'm bordering on trying too hard to turn that camera into something it's not. Helmet mount wouldn't be too hard I'd imagine, but I'm really liking the look of the chest mount angle, seems the most stable and best "I'm ripping this trail" feel from the vids you've been posting.
Hmm, I dont know if anyone has done this, skunkty14, I'm wondering if you can use that creative lab camera and place it inside a pouch (like an ipod or cellphone one) with a hole for the lens. THen clip/buckle the pouch to the strap on you camelbak's, somewhere near the chest or shoulder. I want to try this but having insufficient fund at the moment.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Committee-X said:
Hmm, I dont know if anyone has done this, skunkty14, I'm wondering if you can use that creative lab camera and place it inside a pouch (like an ipod or cellphone one) with a hole for the lens. THen clip/buckle the pouch to the strap on you camelbak's, somewhere near the chest or shoulder. I want to try this but having insufficient fund at the moment.
That might work Comm X, probably a pretty cheap route to go. My hesitation would be vibration, I think even if the pouch is secured to the pack strap well you'll still get a lot of the bouncing/vibration that makes "lousy" IMO POV video. One might end up fastening the camera more securely a la Lee's ziptip frankenmount pictured below. Might have issues with cutting off part of the field of view with your arm as well if you run narrower bars and mount the camera on the shoulder strap vs. the sternum strap of a pack.

·
Mtbr member
102 Posts
Just viewed these three videos. Awesome stuff - I'm liking the chest mount. I like to get the bars in my video occasionally for perspective, but with a helmet cam unless you have a very wide angle it usually means losing sight of the trail ahead!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went out and got the Vado, put it inside a $5 camera pouch with a hole for the lens. I attached it to the sternum strap, skunkty14 was right, it was too unstable. Too much vibration. Then I attached it to the stomach strap of the camelbak and pull tight on the strap. The result was a little better. If only I can find a way to stabilize it more.

skunkty14, any luck with mounting the vado to the gopro chest harness?

Also anyone know why is the video on vimeo choppier with the hd option on?

·
Woodlot local
497 Posts
Committee-X, your video is private on Vimeo. Unlock it and we can comment on how to help.

Speaking of chest cams, I mounted my chest cam mount on my pack and got some wicked footage. I however was not able to test it as a chest cam due to the wipe-out I had (shown in the video). The inspiration for making the chest/pack mount came after seeing Lee's ghetto mount and it inspired me to make one. I therefore blame Lee for my wipe-out and current knee injury.........bastard!!!! ;)

A-Line (Reverse Cam) with a BIG SPILL from Dean Wilkes on Vimeo.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really liked the chest POV so I modified a GoPro headband elastic mount (which I've never used) into a chest mount.

While I already have a chest mount from GoPro I had some webbing and some time so thought it would be cool to see if I could mock up a chest mount out of the GoPro headband mount.

Results here:

The bottom bit of this homebrew chest mount is the GoPro headband elastic mount. Note that I've mounted the GoPro upside down on the headband mount as I've found that the camera must point up to get the right angle.

I cut the elastic piece which formerly attached to the front and back of the headband mount (its supposed to go over your head and cradle the headband mount on your head) then attached two pieces of webbing to the front and rear. Pictures below will show how the two pieces of webbing are attached to the rear.

Here's a side shot of the homebrew mount. I cut the headband mount into two pieces then attached buckles to the two pieces. The horizontal strap will go around my chest. I put in the straps so it's easier to put wrap the horizontal strap around chest.

Here is the homebrew chestmount from the rear. Its being carried right side up and is viewed as if you're looking at it from the back. The tough part was trying to figure out how to get the neck and shoulder straps tight. I could maybe have used elasticized webbing on the neck and back strap (that's what the GoPro chest mount uses) but I'm cheap and the goal was to make this cheap. I put a buckle where the two webbing straps which come from the front of the mount meet. Another piece of webbing is attached to the remainder of the elasticized headband strap (now a chest strap) via a buckle

Here's a shot of the homebrew chest mount from rear and side. You can see why I used a buckle for the rear back strap. It gives you adjustment for loosening and tightening the chestmount. I've found that a loose video harness makes for lousy video. Now you can adjust the harness for different clothing or different body sizes yet keep it reasonably tight. As a sidenote, you can also now attach this harness to a backpack as a "reverse chesty) (see my Feedthehabit article) and get rearward POV shots.

Anyway, this might seem like a lot of trouble to save $ 40 but for me, it was kind of fun. Now I have two chest harnesses!

Here's some video I shot using the homebrew harness

Juniper Ridge - St Helens from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

Norway - Independence Pass from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
LeeL said:
I really liked the chest POV so I modified a GoPro headband elastic mount (which I've never used) into a chest mount.

While I already have a chest mount from GoPro I had some webbing and some time so thought it would be cool to see if I could mock up a chest mount out of the GoPro headband mount.
NICE WORK LEE!
I'm going to try this also. I have the same pieces left over. Thanks for sharing!

·
www.swampclub.org
439 Posts
LeeL said:

Here's my attempt at a DIY harness using your idea.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6484545#poststop

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.