Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been discussed. Has anyone here replaced their standard press-fit BB for a threaded version like the one wheels mfg makes? I’m trying to trace down a creak on my 2017 SB5 frame. Might replace the bb next. Wondering if anyone has used one of these hybrid threaded press-fit bb’s that all but promise to get rid of creaks. Anyone have one installed in a modern carbon Yeti frame?

·
Registered
615 Posts
In last three years I have installed a few Wheels threaded BBs, and a Praxis one. I preferred the Praxis one. The Wheels ones have a very small lip for the tools, and the non-press side is a little too small in my opinion. They still creak eventually too. The Praxis threaded ones use a expanding collar to take up any slack. As a negative, the Praxis one has wider tightening surfaces that may not work with all crank sets. Some of the Praxis ones also use special tools that are not the same as the "standard" BB tools that are in most bike techs tool kits.

I haven't tried a Bbinfintie one. I was put off by the price, the hyperbole in their marketing, and the fact that if the interface on bikes is as screwed up as they say, how pressing in and out a press fit only part is going to work long term. None of these "solutions" is perfect, and they may work great.

·
Registered
17,236 Posts
In last three years I have installed a few Wheels threaded BBs, and a Praxis one. I preferred the Praxis one. The Wheels ones have a very small lip for the tools, and the non-press side is a little too small in my opinion. They still creak eventually too. The Praxis threaded ones use a expanding collar to take up any slack. As a negative, the Praxis one has wider tightening surfaces that may not work with all crank sets. Some of the Praxis ones also use special tools that are not the same as the "standard" BB tools that are in most bike techs tool kits.
I guess eventually everything fails but I have a lot of miles and time on a wheels manufacturing bb and it's been fine. The Praxis one I had didn't work so well but that was due to the bb shell design.

I think a lot of issues are due to frame quality and design, and what works for one may not work for another.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've got a Wheels Mfg PF30 SRAM GXP thread together bb for my Yeti ASRc with over 2000 mi and it's been fine. I've owned various press fit frames and used Wheels Mfg thread or the cheapo nylon/non-thread together kind and most of the time its not the BB that creaks (in my experience). Then again I rarely ride through slop and it's not like I'm putting out mad watts.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have gone through 2 Praxis BB's on my 2019 Yeti sb100, I believe the key to a good Pres fit bb 92 is... must have the inner sleeve to protect bearings from water and dirt entering on inside. I then changed my crank from Race Face Next sl to the new Sram Eagle Dub xx1 crank and I really like the dub setup. 2 month's now and bb still nice and smooth and only 35 bucks for bb!!

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I have gone through 2 Praxis BB's on my 2019 Yeti sb100, I believe the key to a good Pres fit bb 92 is... must have the inner sleeve to protect bearings from water and dirt entering on inside. I then changed my crank from Race Face Next sl to the new Sram Eagle Dub xx1 crank and I really like the dub setup. 2 month's now and bb still nice and smooth and only 35 bucks for bb!!
Mine is 5 to 6 months old and not as smooth and I suspect is creaking.. tome for a new one or the new Wheels mfg. DUB bb

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For the OP ... not sure what type of grease you're using but I'd recommend the Finish Line Teflon.
I'm on back-to-back Yetis (SB5 and now SB100) without a creak. And that's riding year round through sloppy Canadian Autumns/Springs and frigid snowy winters.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the OP ... not sure what type of grease you're using but I'd recommend the Finish Line Teflon.
I'm on back-to-back Yetis (SB5 and now SB100) without a creak. And that's riding year round through sloppy Canadian Autumns/Springs and frigid snowy winters.
Are you using this grease on the bearings or did you remove the BB and re-apply grease to the outer shell and the re-press?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Are you using this grease on the bearings or did you remove the BB and re-apply grease to the outer shell and the re-press?
I use it whenever I press the BB into the frame.
Yeti actually recommends (or did I when I called them about 1 1/2 years ago when I got my SB5) to press the BB in dry. Guy I spoke with says that's how they assemble their builds.
I tried that and TBH it worked fine. No creaks. But it just didn't seem or feel right to me pressing it in without a lubricant.
I researched a fair bit what people liked to use for pressfit and found the Teflon grease was very popular and successful.
So I've been using that ever since with (knock on wood) great results.
It's ultra creamy and BB just slides in.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use it whenever I press the BB into the frame.
Yeti actually recommends (or did I when I called them about 1 1/2 years ago when I got my SB5) to press the BB in dry. Guy I spoke with says that's how they assemble their builds.
I tried that and TBH it worked fine. No creaks. But it just didn't seem or feel right to me pressing it in without a lubricant.
I researched a fair bit what people liked to use for pressfit and found the Teflon grease was very popular and successful.
So I've been using that ever since with (knock on wood) great results.
It's ultra creamy and BB just slides in.
Do you remove your stock BB regularly for maintenance? I always thought when you removed a PF BB, you damage it slightly since you have to "drift" it out with somethingl like the Park Tool driver. If the stock BB can be re-used, I might try to remove it and use the grease you spoke about (I have it on hand). Just curious if it's ok to re-install a PF BB shell after it's been removed... mainly a stock one.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,080 Posts
Why would you remove a BB for maintenance purposes? That makes no sense.

Also, as opposed to buying multiple BBs over the lifetime of your bike, buy right and buy once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Also, as opposed to buying multiple BBs over the lifetime of your bike, buy right and buy once.

I'm assuming to stay ahead of creaking by re-applying grease to the shell.

Care to share your recommended "right one" bb?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

I never use grease when installing press-fit BB. I just use a very small amount of Honda-Bond around cups... acts like a lube to slide in then dries making a perfect removable bond that will never creak and is impervious to water. One of the reason's I don't mind press-fit at all!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.