Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'll let you know how they respond...

"Hi,

I'm writing as it relates to an issue a number of 29er MTBers are having. Many of the current suspension forks have issues contacting the DT when turned near or past 90 degrees in either direction.

Many folks are solving this by running taller cup-height, non-CK headsets. I don't want to do this. I've run CK headsets on every bike I've ever owned - MTB and road. What many of us really need is simply a new crown race that has an additional 3-4mm of stack height.

I was wondering since you do all your own machining if you could turn out a few hundred of these for retail sale. I know they would sell like hotcakes. Many 29er riders are jury-rigging their steeds by double-stacking extra crown races that have been ground down.

I just think that it would be simple and worthwhile for you to offer these. Not asking for a freebie. Just asking for a quality solution to an increasingly common issue.

If you question the validity of this issue simply post a casual inquiry on this issue to the www.mtbr.com 29er board.

Thanks and keep making great stuff,

Sean"

·
Registered
361 Posts
There's No Way King Will Ever Do This!

None of you will ever have a chance to ridicule me for being wrong. First, the root of the problem is not King's issue. Second, I don't hear a bunch of Freeriders calling and mailing King and begging for a headset that stops their fork from hitting the frame. Finally, Is this really an issue? For years all sorts of components have come into contact with the frame. Handlebars hit TT's, brakes on road frames hit downtubes, etc...

Yes, your frame will dent if you stack hard enough and the front wheel gets jacked. I've seen the same happen with handlebars on TT's. It is a little annoying and it keeps me awake at night knowing that my frame may get dented by my fork.

The issue is not small parts manufacturers, but rather equal responsibility of frame and fork manufacturer's. Lenz Sport shapes his downtube to avoid this issue and many others could to. Fork manufacturer's could drop the crowns slightly to accomodate for the clearance issue. You, yes you could put a pad of some sort, discreet even, on your fork or downtube to stop dents, scratches and paint chips. Or you could become "old school, purist, hardcore" and ride rigid.

Right now we're all lucky anyone makes a fork for this market. The same way mountain bikers were lucky when Rockshox, Manitou, and a few others started making forks in the late 80's, early 90's.

So until, and if, this market continues to grow you'll just have to take what's available and give your feedback to the manufacturer's of component's, the ones the issue actually affects.

You wouldn't consider ducttape a permanent fix for a broken headlight, why would you consider the solution your proposing as a permanent fix for this issue?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,017 Posts
Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? Jeez. All soupboy is doing is asking King to do is produce a race that is a bit taller. I don't see a single bit of blame being aimed at King from his message. This is certainly not an impossible feat for a company like King.

We all know that this little design problem is not the fault of the headset. Like you pointed out oh so rudely, it has to do w/the builders of frames and the forks(and where the hell did the free rider thing come in? They've already got the Hopey damper.). This is something that can be worked out for future set ups. But what about the stuff out there now? A pad? Please...Putting a crease or dimple in a frame at that juncture is much closer to a disaster than putting a dent in your top tube mid way from bar ends or brake levers. Where the forks are hitting now is typically a butt transition, and possibly a tad weaker/more suseptable spot for bending/breaking. I'm not a metalurgist, nor expert builder myself, but that spot on the downtube is NOT a spot I'd want damaged in anyway or form. King making a slightly taller race is more than a fair request. If not them, I'm sure that there's another maching shop out there that can take a King base plate and make one taller.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,909 Posts
aosty said:
*bingo*

I had one made... it ain't on the bike yet - specs and pix to come. :D
I thought about this also. With the longer insertions of a Steelset and a spacer wider than the frame's headtube tubing, it *seems* like it will work ok. If that's what you had made, let us know how it goes.

G

·
Carleton said:
which you would press in, the press the ck bottom bearing cup into?
or use a CK Steel set lower bearing cup with a spacer between the cup and the head tube? Those things are wicked long. :D

Nice Drevil, looks like great minds think alike. We were probably typing the same response at the same time.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,017 Posts
For that matter, if you're having a customer frame built, have the builder make the head tube longer on the low end, and you can avoid the issue all together. Seems like the spacer idea is a good one, but then you're out a lower cup(if you go the steelset route)[read:$$$$] and the cost of the spacer. If King decides they can make a taller race, I can't see that cost nearly as much as this set up. Just sayin', thats all.

·
hispanic mechanic
2,686 Posts
Yup...

~martini~ said:
For that matter, if you're having a customer frame built, have the builder make the head tube longer on the low end, and you can avoid the issue all together. Seems like the spacer idea is a good one, but then you're out a lower cup(if you go the steelset route)[read:$$$$] and the cost of the spacer. If King decides they can make a taller race, I can't see that cost nearly as much as this set up. Just sayin', thats all.
Dat's what I did. Of course, now it doesn't look like I'll be going back to a suspension fork, so I guess it was a moot point for me.
One might be better served asking someone like J&B or QBP to source out a spacer from Taiwan.

the los

·
No Reputation!
1,742 Posts
I'd buy one

Yeah in a perfect world nobody would ever need one, that is for sure. But I could use one and would buy one and I'm sure at least a few other pople would.

Let's say they could make a profit of 20$ per cup or something and did 100 of 'em, well they'd clear a whopping $200,000..no...$20,000...no...it's $2000 and.....hey, anybody have pics of other solutions? Unfortunately I think we are on our own with this problem.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just pleading for CK's...

...help, not criticizing them at all. This ain't their problem.

I do think it would be simpler, easier, cleaner, cheaper and more structurally sounderer to have a slightly taller race than monkey around with spacing out the lower cup.
I'm no engineer but that seems like it might compromise the integrity of a fairly highly stressed area of the frame.

JMKM - Freeriders can run any headset they want but their fork/frame issues are not comparable to what I'm discussing as they are running dual crown forks.

If I hear back from CK I'll let y'all know. No word as of this writing.

Sean

·
Recovering couch patato
13,971 Posts
I never came further than a nylon prototype for a headtub extension cup. Meant to use 26" disc forks in 29" frames and not mess up geometry. I think this issue is the fork maker's responsibility though. If you make a 29" fork, make it work with 29" bikes.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,533 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
Anybody have pics of other solutions? Unfortunately I think we are on our own with this problem.
Cane Creek has already made the HS that is being requested of King in this thread. It came stock on my Sugar. Surely it's available from any Trek/Fisher dealer, or QBP. The bottom cup stack is friggin huge... This is the higher end S-6 I beleive, bearing/design looks similar to King.

I see no issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.