Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a Stickel short stay 29er have any thoughts about build parameters?

I don't need to run a 140 fork, but 120 for sure. Problem is, I also want to have a rigid fork.

Front derailleur is not necessary, but I would like it to work for next time a damage a knee.

Please post some photos if you have them on your computer.

I have my deposit finally, and won't be able to ride too much until fall, so wait is no issue right now.

Anyone have one with an EBB instead of sliders?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I love mine. You will love how easy it is to get the front wheel in the air. He will make whatever you want as long as you pay for it. I like sliders. EBB's make too much noise. I would get it built so that you can run gears just for the option. Enjoy.

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
You already know I love mine! :thumbsup:

Pretty good bit of difference in the geometry between a 120mm fork and a rigid fork, but I'm sure Steve can navigate what would work for both.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You already know I love mine! :thumbsup:

Pretty good bit of difference in the geometry between a 120mm fork and a rigid fork, but I'm sure Steve can navigate what would work for both.
I know, I know. Does yours have the sliders? Any issues with that?

Do you guys have front derailleur compatibility, or would the tire hit it? I guess with sliders you could just move the wheel back.

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
I like mine with much happiness.

Wanna talk turkey?

PM me and we can go all "old school" and talk on a "phone."

Very, very, very happy I went with Steve.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could you fix your rigid/120mm fork problem by keeping 2 different sets of lower headsets?
I thought about that. Like having an internal cup for the suspension fork and a tall external cup for the rigid.

Although after riding with suspension for the last year, I question if I really care about running it rigid anymore.

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
I thought about that. Like having an internal cup for the suspension fork and a tall external cup for the rigid.

Although after riding with suspension for the last year, I question if I really care about running it rigid anymore.
You could go with an internal lower cup and a 1 1/8" suspension fork and an external cup with a 1 1/2" rigid fork, but you're only talking about adding around 8mm to the lower on the rigid set-up.

Or use a standard 1 1/8" headset and swap lower cups from regular to a plus five.

But do you really wanna swap cups just to change forks?

You could get the TALAS fork that has travel adjust 100-120. Lower that front end for climbs and bomb the downs. That would reduce the drawbacks.

I've run my Stickel with a rigid fork, but it really shines with the Fox up front....

especially in Pisgah.

·
Category Winner
6,077 Posts
Also, I don't know what it means to "talk turkey."
It's just that I could go on, and on, and on, and on about my Stickel.

I have done so many times on my blog since I got it back in March. Rather than type a million words (some of which might not apply to your situation), I'd rather chat about my experience. Nothing but positives...

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
I know, I know. Does yours have the sliders? Any issues with that?

Do you guys have front derailleur compatibility, or would the tire hit it? I guess with sliders you could just move the wheel back.
Yeah mine has sliders and I've had zero issues with them.

Steve can easily setup your frame to use a direct mount FD, I didn't bother as mine will never see more than 1 ring up front.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brado Thats an awesome color.

Did you get that fork built for that bike? Is it designed to be only rigid and single speed? I am really into my squishy fork and my front derailleur right now. I feel like I can go out farther, because I can limp back home in the little ring. Plus, I can ride to Bent Creek in 30 minutes on my geared bikes, and it seems to take almost twice that on my SS bike.

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,326 Posts
Brado Thats an awesome color.

Did you get that fork built for that bike? Is it designed to be only rigid and single speed? I am really into my squishy fork and my front derailleur right now. I feel like I can go out farther, because I can limp back home in the little ring. Plus, I can ride to Bent Creek in 30 minutes on my geared bikes, and it seems to take almost twice that on my SS bike.
the fork was built by Waltworks, frame and fork powder coated at the same time

Frame: By:Stickel medium

71* HA
73* SA
23.625TT
16.4+ CS
12.125 BB

Fork: Waltworks

468mm Axl-Crown
ISO disc
45* rake

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone with a Stickel short stay 29er have any thoughts about build parameters?

I don't need to run a 140 fork, but 120 for sure. Problem is, I also want to have a rigid fork.

Front derailleur is not necessary, but I would like it to work for next time a damage a knee.

Please post some photos if you have them on your computer.

I have my deposit finally, and won't be able to ride too much until fall, so wait is no issue right now.

Anyone have one with an EBB instead of sliders?
I am having the same issue choosing what my frame should be built for. I was in the mindset that I wanted a 100-120 travel bike, 100 for most of the riding and 120 for downhill. I also wanted a bike that I could throw an rigid fork on every now and then.

Then I rode a Stickel with a 120-140 TALAS. I rode 120 for most of the day in Dupont, then increased it to 140 for a downhill and HOLY CRAP! That bike at 140mm screamed downhill. I decided I wanted him to build a bike that was perfect for riding around at 120mm for most of the time but still handled well at 140 when the time was right.

I'll get a cheap steely for my seldom winter rigid rides.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I just got back from riding Farlow and Daniel Ridge, and I agree about 140mm of travel being nice. I have a 100mm sid 29er, and that thing is awesome. But I want more.

I really miss my 26" big bike on those trails.

I think I will probably go the 140 route, just adds some more bucks since none of my current forks are over 120mm.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
I love mine. You will love how easy it is to get the front wheel in the air. He will make whatever you want as long as you pay for it. I like sliders. EBB's make too much noise. I would get it built so that you can run gears just for the option. Enjoy.
My experience/recommendations exactly!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts