Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a really light set of "Usable" endurance XC racing wheels. I'm 145 lbs and ride pretty smooth. I was thinking about DT 240 hubs 28or 32 hole(?) (maybe center lock?), DT revolution spokes(maybe 2x's), ZTR rims and Scrub rotors. I want them to be reliable not ridiculous weight weenie for street use only! Thoughts are welcomed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just a caution on the "really light " and "reliable" specs. First, I assume by reliable you mean durable or strong or both. 'Really light and 'strong' are conflicting requirements in wheel design. Heavier is stronger. Lighter is weaker. That being said you are light (145) and ride 'smooth' terrain (I again assume you meant terrain). If my assumptions are in the ball park you can probably get by with really light wheels. Just be advised that they will not be really strong.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you both have misunderstood me? I trying to get some thoughts on this parts selection and hopefully some personal experience with them as well. I'm well of Keith Bontragers motto of "light, strong, expensive choose 2 of the 3." Lite weight wheels pay a huge dividend in race situations (I'm sure you know this). If your rider weight isn't an issue and your riding style lends itself to not destroying parts, then the wheels can be justified. These are not daily training wheels anyways.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
All things considered...

sounds like a good wheel set for you. For the sake of reliability and strength I'd go with the 32 spoke and a 3 cross. The weight savings compared to a 28 hole 2 cross isn't going to be that significant. A 28/2 would be a bit lighter, but for the added stiffness and strength a 32/3 would be the better way to go. Esspecially considering the wheels are for endurance racing where reliability is particularly important. The components you have in mind are all high quality and well suited for your intended purpose. At your weight and given your riding style I'd say they'd be fine. Considering weight and riding style and with a good high quality build I'd say you could like ride AM on them with few if any problems.

I say go for it. As a race day only wheel set they'll likely last you a good long time.

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.