Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a fairly new MTBer, but looking to get into more intermediate trails. I have an entry-level 26 HT (Hardrock SE) that I bought to see if light trails would be fun and had a blast. Think I am going to pass it off to my wife who needs a casual bike; now researching something better equipped to handle actual trails.

I don't have a ton of money, but I know you tend to get what you pay for so I'm willing to go up to $1k. It looks like for buying new, the '13 Trek Mamba is the best option, but I just saw an ad for a used Orbea Race ($850). I think it is the 2009 model but not sure because I couldn't find any reviews on here for the bike. The lister said it had the following:

Sram x7
Avid juicy 5 discs
Rock Shox Recon ff
Fox vanilla float

Anyone out there with Orbea experience? It seems like a really sweet price for these components. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Disclaimer: my wife rides for Orbea

I assume you are looking at an Orbea Oiz. I have had excellent luck with them over the years. Their one weak spot is the pivots on the chain stays. They wear fairly quickly ( I get about 2500km out of them), replacement of the pivots is fairly simple and relatively inexpensive, but it is something you need to be aware of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disclaimer: my wife rides for Orbea

I assume you are looking at an Orbea Oiz. I have had excellent luck with them over the years. Their one weak spot is the pivots on the chain stays. They wear fairly quickly ( I get about 2500km out of them), replacement of the pivots is fairly simple and relatively inexpensive, but it is something you need to be aware of.
I believe it is the 2009 Occam Race. Don't have enough posts yet to put a link up, sorry.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The mamba is a solid bike, but IMO used is the way to go. I was about to drop 1k on a mamba until I found a used rush sl6. Just make sure it is in good shape.

I almost got burned on a pos trek 4500 I bought used. Luckily a little elbow grease fixed it and I was able to sell it for what I had in it.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
The occams are bomb proof. Those frames last forever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I pulled the trigger on the Occam, tried it out on my local trail this past weekend. Bike is super agile, I'm really happy with it. Here is a pic:

More pics and a little story here if interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts