Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the story on the NY Times website. Do you think he's guilty? Innocent? What's going on with him? I hope he isn't guilty of blood doping but it doesn't look good.

D.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Based on his reputation, some fishy circumstances around the tests and the strong possibility of mistakes, manipulation, conspiracy (he did win the gold with a Russian taking silver!), etc, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, I was climbing into Ward (high above Boulder, CO) yesterday afternoon as Tyler passed me heading down the canyon. We exchanged waves - his a big wave and smile. After getting home from the ride, I heard the news. No matter what the truth is, I will always admire him for being a stand-up guy in a sport of prima donnas. I think it's funny that a large number of "serious" roadies couldn't be bothered to lift a hand for a wave and then there's Tyler waving, smiling, talking to folks at the local coffee shop, etc.

I believe him.

On tangent, anyone find it interesting that steroids have yet to pop up in pro/college basketball? How about the 6'9 250 lbs power forward with 6% body fat and ridiculous speed, endurance and strength? Guys didn't look like that 10-15 years ago! S

·
Registered
105 Posts
The moderator for Tyler's guestbook let one slip thru-

Dear Tyler,

I am saddened by the news of the verdict. How unfair this justice system turned out to be! Although it is clear you are guilty, they suspended you. Cycling needs more characters like you who fight doping even though you swap blood. You are an inspiration to children who follow cycling, and will follow your wheel!

Keep fighting!! Ron

Ron Mexico
Atlanta, GA* USA
Apr 19, 2005 at 12:00 PM
E-mail:[email protected]

Ron Mexico, HA!

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
DBomb said:
Saw the story on the NY Times website. Do you think he's guilty? Innocent? What's going on with him? I hope he isn't guilty of blood doping but it doesn't look good.

D.
I don't want to believe it, but it sure looks like he got caught. Suprising to me.

G

·
I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but in the hearings they revealed that the authorities had warned Tyler and Phonak about questionable test results a number of times before the positive tests and he didn't do anything about it. If he or his team had questions about the testing procedures, they should have done something after the warnings, not after a positive test.
I wish it wouldn't have gone down that way, especially since Lance is retiring, Hamilton could have had a real chance to be America's best pro rider. Doping is really hurting pro cycling, something has to be done or the sport will have no credibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guilty- along with the rest of the peleton...

Tyler is the fall guy for the whole pro tour. IMO he's a doper and he got caught and now he's paying the price. Plain and simple. What's unfortunate is that everyone else on the pro tour is on some kind of juice- and it's not Gatorade. They're just not getting caught because the detection technology hasn't caught up to the doping technology. Makes me a strong believer in the 'All Drug Olympics'- a classic old skit from SNL where the weightlifter rips his arms out of the sockets trying to lift a huge barbell... Unfortunately, drugs in sport are here to stay. So in keeping with this theme, I'm going to go smoke a bowl and ride my bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.