Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to build a new wheelset....question is tubeless or not. Like everything there are pros and cons to both. Wanting to hear from people that have run tubeless on a FR/DH setup. Mostly curious as to why the A-list pros on the WC DH Circuit run tubes instead of tubeless.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
have been running tubeless deemax for 3 seasons and love it.
with UST tires I never roll a bead...only 3 puncture flats.
rolling resistance diff is noticeable vs tubes.

cons = UST tires are big $$$ and they don't last very long.

try it...you can always run tubes if you want...

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
My buddy does what the "A-List" does and has more DNF's than not so... I run tubeless and never have those issues, LOL!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yep like stated above tubeless is alot less hassle and handles some really nasty stuff as well as alot of course can be done on single ply now that snake bites have been weeded out as well as lower PSI if needed.

Go ghetto and then almost any rim works perfect, UST tires Ive had problems with ballooning and then blowing out... Most tires are fine run stans in any set up it helps I put a rock through the tread and dented the recess in the center of my rim and although it ruined the tire with a hefty gash I was able to ride the 4 miles on 10 psi... Beats walking, and still keep a tube in the pack for when this type of hit happens it would have taken out a tubed set up as well...

Tubeless is great works with single plys, DH casings (AVOID KENDAS AT ALL COST) and works on almost any rim.....

Good luck, Ive been beating tubeless 5 years now.... Racing and freeride...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Tubeless, definitely. Lower pressures with no flats, less rotational weight, the occasional burp or smaller puncture is instantly sealed with stan's or whatever your sealant of choice. I think the concept kinda sells itself, I can't understand why more people don't do it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
been running maxxis dh tires with 823's for 5 years of rock north east DH, never had a flat. Tubeless all the way!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I went through this very debate a little while ago. I opted for tubes because when things do go sideways, it is an easy, no hassle fix. I heard too many horror stories of tubeless mishaps on the trail that took forever to fix. Tubes are cheap, simple, not complex. All good points in my book.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ran ghetto tubeless with some stans and the 20 inch inter-tube cut open. 909 front and a dhf minion rear. It was a good setup. Never had a flat.

My only issue was that I had to check air pressure after every ride because the tires would burp out air sometime. Some rides I wouldn't check it and not really notice till i heard my rims clinking on rocks. Sucked. It's a nice setup otherwise.

·
Underskilled
4,750 Posts
Techfreak said:
I went through this very debate a little while ago. I opted for tubes because when things do go sideways, it is an easy, no hassle fix. I heard too many horror stories of tubeless mishaps on the trail that took forever to fix. Tubes are cheap, simple, not complex. All good points in my book.
Forever to fix?

When you get a flat

1: Is it completely flat?

If yes, get out CO2 pump, If not regular.

Pump tyre back up 95% of times it goes straight back up and stays there.

If it still has a slow puncture, find leak and put that at bottom so sealant above.

It should stop,

This all takes seconds.

If there is still a leak (normally from a large hole or tear).

pop off one bead and stick a self adhesive patch on the hole.

If that doesn't work stick in new tube.

Easy.

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
Techfreak said:
That's why you have a spare tube in your backpack. No way I would start trying to fix up a tubeless tire that did not just pump back up on the trail. I would just take the tube from my backpack and use it for the rest of the ride.

All my tubes have gone to co-riders who ride tubed and had bad punctures till now though. Few years and no flats with tubeless.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have been running an Azonic Outlaw wheelset with yellow tape and a Stan's freeride rim strip for the past three years and only had one flat when I cased a gap and landed the rear tire square on a sharp rock.

Maxxis 2-ply tires have worked great with sealant, I usually use a mix of 2/3 Stan's and 1/3 Slime sealant.

Whatever you do, do not use Schwalbe UST tires on a converted rim, ghetto or otherwise. There have been many instances of tire blowoffs with this configuration and Schwalbe recommends against it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you tend to flat a lot at the tire pressures you'd like to run it's worth exploring. If you rarely flat then you need to weigh the slight weight drop against the possibilities of burping and having to air up more often.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I just converted to tubeless. Im loving it so far. It does actually roll and feel different. Its hard to explain. Im running Flows, regular Muddy Marys, Stans yellow rim tape and goo. They lose are after a few days but no more than tubes. I carry a tube just in case.

·
Antitheist & Kitten lover
996 Posts
After three seasons of using UST rims with misc tires, tubes, and sealants, I am getting rid of my DeeMax. The lack of a deep center makes it difficult to mount tires with tubes, and changing tires before a race run is a daunting task.

UST is a reliable alternative for some, but lacks the speed an convenience I need.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What I love about the ghetto setup is the rubber strip to rubber tire gets glued together by the Stans and almost never burps. Whistler and the shore, almost no problems ever. When I get a puncture, the Schwalbe 20" strips include removable Schraeder core, pump in a little bottle of Stans, reinsert core, and inflate. WAY easier and faster than pulling DH tire beads.

I run standard issue, dual ply Nevegals on my DH bike and single ply Neves on the AM bike, both with this setup. It's been the most trouble free my tires have ever been and I have no thoughts of changing. I had several rim pingers at Whistler last w/e that would have been pinch flats for sure with tubes, no problemo with tubeless.

·
Registered
461 Posts
miklorsmith said:
When I get a puncture, the Schwalbe 20" strips include removable Schraeder core, pump in a little bottle of Stans, reinsert core, and inflate. WAY easier and faster than pulling DH tire beads.
Do you carry a valve core puller, a bottle of Stan's, and an air compressor with you on the trail?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
nybike1971 said:
Whatever you do, do not use Schwalbe UST tires on a converted rim, ghetto or otherwise. There have been many instances of tire blowoffs with this configuration and Schwalbe recommends against it.
That wasn't just UST on ghetto but UST on UST as well. They changed their tires this year to make the bead strong enuff to handle tubeless regardless of what setup and they weigh 100 grams more too as a result (look it up on their website if you don't believe me). I roll a 2010 UST Big Betty ghetto on my FR rig and no issues whatsoever; at 1100 grams it is a heavy tire tho for trail/FR use but rolls really well so the tradeoff is fine with me.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
jcook1989 said:
Do you carry a valve core puller, a bottle of Stan's, and an air compressor with you on the trail?
LOL - have you ever seen a valve core remover? Basically a tiny inverted screwdriver that weighs maybe 5 grams! And have you ever heard of CO2 cartridges? Lighter than a hand pump. Ignorance is bliss I guess! Just wish my friends would figure it out so I don't have to wait on their asses with all their pinch flats.

Have FUN!

G MAN

1 - 20 of 30 Posts