Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up mountain biking a few months ago, and my 9 year old wants to go hit the trails with me. I wouldn't take him on anything gnarly or steep, so I don't think a suspension fork is necessary at the moment. My primary concern is how much most of these 24" bikes weigh, even without a suspension fork, and the Wahoo seems to be about the lightest I can find without spending a ton of money (they are also fairly common used). Not looking to spend a crazy amount of money, but if he takes to the sport I will definitely look at a more serious bike when he outgrows this.

Are there other lightweight bikes that I should look into that I'm missing?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Keeping budget and weight in mind without sacrificing too much on build spec, I would keep an eye out for a Scott Scale Rigid (<23 lbs), Scott Roxter 24 (<25 lbs) or Vitus Kids 24 Plus (<24 lbs). A Haro Beasley (<25 lbs) might also be a good option.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on the trek wahoo vs the vitus 24? Weights seem about the same (21lb) and when you include shipping to the USA for the vitus from CRC, the vitus is about the same price (maybe $20 more). I was looking for a bike for my son to use temporarily while we are visiting relatives to ride around the neighborhood and for my nephew to keep once we leave. Would primarily be for riding around the neighborhood on paved roads so don’t need a suspension fork or anything ,

·
Registered
282 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on the trek wahoo vs the vitus 24? Weights seem about the same (21lb) and when you include shipping to the USA for the vitus from CRC, the vitus is about the same price (maybe $20 more). I was looking for a bike for my son to use temporarily while we are visiting relatives to ride around the neighborhood and for my nephew to keep once we leave. Would primarily be for riding around the neighborhood on paved roads so don’t need a suspension fork or anything ,
I don't see enough appreciable difference between the two to say one is a better choice than the other for neighborhood rides. Some very minor pros and cons to each, but not enough to tip the scales IMO. For a neighborhood bike, I would probably go with the Trek. Mostly, because it is a better known brand here in the US and if you need something like a derailleur hanger, you're more likely to find what you need for the Trek. It will also be easier to sell down the road with a the "TREK" on the frame.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't see enough appreciable difference between the two to say one is a better choice than the other for neighborhood rides. Some very minor pros and cons to each, but not enough to tip the scales IMO. For a neighborhood bike, I would probably go with the Trek. Mostly, because it is a better known brand here in the US and if you need something like a derailleur hanger, you're more likely to find what you need for the Trek. It will also be easier to sell down the road with a the "TREK" on the frame.
Thanks. I landed on the trek also, mainly because I’m leaving this with my non-bike knowledgeable sister and she can go to the LBS for warranty/repairs vs the Vitus. Found one in stock near her so ordered and having her pick it up. Thanks for your thoughts, some good points I didn’t think of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts