Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like these 2 for my next trail bike. any thoughts on strengths/weaknesses of these bikes? i'm looking for a low 30 pounder for epic rides, but still solid in real steep terrain. one thing, looks like the rune has more active suspension while braking.
thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
both good, pivots on rune need more maintenance/ servicing. rune doesn't pedal as well with 22t front ring, need 26t or bigger(pedal jack), but it handles square edge bumps better. both build up in the 30-35lb range. covert is a low single pivot with linkage driven shock.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I narrowed it down to these same two bikes then went with the Rune.
Rune I think has a slacker HA, Covert is slightly lighter, bushings (rune) vs. bearings (covert). Rune is very soldi (new coverts look beefy as well).
I did all the research for last years models and went with the Rune for my only bike (AM/ light freeride). Although I just went to drop n zone in bellingham yesterday and saw some SICK new covert frames in stock. If I were building a bike today I'd take another look at the covert.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Both bikes rock and I think with either you will be extremely happy. Hammershmidt, get the Covert hands down. VF4B handles it ok if you run a 26T small ring, Covert you can opt for the 22T without any pedal feedback. Bushings Vrs Bearings is another area to consider. Both are priced very close to each other and both companies rock for service:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. i do climb in 22T, but most of my climbing is fireroad type of stuff, so not a problem to flip propedal on the rear making pedal jack not a big issue. a question for the HA (i do like slack as i like the steeps) both are listed as 67. but someone with the rune has a k9 reducer to make it 65.5. for the covert, can you make it 66 or so with a standard 6 inch fork?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.