Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
pants on head retarded
256 Posts
They're sort of generic brand bikes, but not by any means bad. There's a Motobecane forum here on MTBR-- take a peek. Hard to go wrong at their prices, especially for a beginner.

·
Registered
531 Posts
firstcut said:
i just found the biggest joy is building a bike from the ground up for a fraction of the price.
seems to me a brand new ground up build will usually cost you about twice what the same complete bike from a shop would cost. unless you are talking about used parts...

it is nice to pick all your parts though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Riding...

Plan on riding trails here in GA and getting into racing/xterra tri's. I'm 5'6 145. what about the fantom pro or the 29er? Some of those bikes are decked out with xtr with the sid race fork. How can you wrong at under $1500?

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
JTPATE78 said:
Plan on riding trails here in GA and getting into racing/xterra tri's. I'm 5'6 145. what about the fantom pro or the 29er? Some of those bikes are decked out with xtr with the sid race fork. How can you wrong at under $1500?
Make sure whatever you buy fits correctly . If you have to ship it back because it dosent fit your initial savings are going to dwindle .

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
its not a "too good to be true" deal. its pretty good for 1200 though. i paid the same for my last-year but brand new/warrantied full xt/x9 trance 1 with a reba.. but i had local support, and much better wheels ;)

weighed more, but the components were comparable quality and cost.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
JTPATE78 said:
How can you wrong at under $1500?
You can't if the bike works for you. As others say, develop a good relationship with your LBS for quality work on the fixes you can't make and have them assemble it up front if you are not comfortable with your mechanical ability/bike assembly is unfamiliar. Safer and cheaper that way.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
006_007 said:
ie someone who knows how to install a pair of pedals?
I think you kinda know there is more to setting up a BD ride than this. I mean, it's not the same as a Wallybike out of the box but before I cruised into a significant downhill, I would want to know either my abilities were up to it or a pro checked and adjusted everything.

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
Malibu412 said:
I think you kinda know there is more to setting up a BD ride than this. I mean, it's not the same as a Wallybike out of the box but before I cruised into a significant downhill, I would want to know either my abilities were up to it or a pro checked and adjusted everything.
Was giving lou a hard time regarding his pedal installation difficulty. First thing I would do with any BD bike (if I ever ordered one) would be completely disassemble and start from scratch.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=581070

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
its EXTREMELY easy to setup the bd bikes. it shouldnt even be an issue.

the only thing you have to worry about is tuning the deraileurs, which is fair enough that not everyone knows how to do. the rest of it could be done by any elementary school kid who has a marginal ability to read and follow simple directions.

theres some validity to getting a local bike, but building the thing isnt one of them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.