Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of buying a redline monocog 29er. i convirted my old hardtail to a single speed, and i am really digging the single speed. howerer, i am thinking of selling that, and getting a 29er single speed. i like to sub $500 price tag of the redline. i also like that i can upgrade it as i go. i would want to put on disk breaks, and possibly a squishy fork. i know its disk ready, but i am not sure if it can take a squishy fork. from what i have heard, they are decent bikes for the money. any thoughts? thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Captain_America1976 said:
i am thinking of buying a redline monocog 29er. i convirted my old hardtail to a single speed, and i am really digging the single speed. howerer, i am thinking of selling that, and getting a 29er single speed. i like to sub $500 price tag of the redline. i also like that i can upgrade it as i go. i would want to put on disk breaks, and possibly a squishy fork. i know its disk ready, but i am not sure if it can take a squishy fork. from what i have heard, they are decent bikes for the money. any thoughts? thanks

I put a front disc brake and a suspension fork on mine... so yes you can.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,745 Posts
Soo...

You are going to buy a sub $500 bike then spend 600+ upgrading it? I'm not saying it's a horrible idea, I bought a MC 29er and love the bike and have already bought discs for it and a new carbon bar... (carbon bar was $50, disc brakes $65 for the set). I was thinking about getting a fork for it but the Reba's aint cheap. If you are really thinking about this from the economy standpoint you should seriously look at how much it would cost to get a fully kitted bike and compare that to the cost of getting the MC and upgrading it because right now the cost of the fork alone will darn near double the cost of the bike.

On the other hand if all you have is $500 right now then buying the MC is clearly the best bet. Then you can upgrade and accessorize as the money comes in.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
basicly like shiggy said do a search and you'll see that it is a great bike and very popular. I just got one and am lovin it. I put some bb7s on it jsut this afternoon and as soon as I get up sunday im gonna take it for a spin and try them out. It is my first 29er and all I can say is everything peeps say about 29ers is true. maybe it's just my size (tall), but the 29" wheel base just feels so right. SOme say its heavy but I dunno, I haven't owned a steel bike since college and I was surprised a steel bike could feel so *light. bottom line: pull the trigger and I doubt youll regret it

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
for a less expensive susp. fork option, the marz. mx is like $200 at jenson. since the reba is typically about the same $$ as the dedgum bike.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Sure....

0gre said:
You are going to buy a sub $500 bike then spend 600+ upgrading it?

.... Why not?

You can upgrade everything, and then someday get a nicer frame and have a whole new bike. The bonus is that you can put the old one back together and sell it, or use it for something else. The only investment you really loose in the process is paying for parts whilly nilly and losing on the depreciation.

But who cares? It's easier to buy a sub $500 bike and spend a few bucks here and there over the months and years.

I plan to someday stick a Reba on my MC29er. Yep, I'm going to put a $500 fork on a $460 bike.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Xayden said:
you get what you pay for
That's deep.

*edit*

Sometimes you don't. I have a bud who spent $5k on a custom Moots and hated it. He said it was like a really hot chick who sucked in bed.

Following that rule to the letter is a shortcut to thinking I guess.

Just don't whip out the tired cliche of "lighter, stronger, cheaper... pick two." I can name so many exceptions to that rule (both ways) that it doesn't mean anything to me.

·
dreamer
56 Posts
Or you can buy a sub 500$ bike put a $300 carbon fork, $500 wheel set, some more bits here and there and be totally stoked!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You get what you pay for and then some. IMHO the best bang for your buck for a complete bike for under $850. I've looked at other bikes and the only thing I seen that comes close is $850 and up. I've had mine for a month now and can't stay off it. It is still a great value even after adding disk brakes and a suspension fork. Also great looking frame, paint and graphics. Only sub-par part is headset and you can have your LBS put one on for under $40. I don't know how Redline sells these for $460. Read all the posts in this forum and you will see the MC29er love.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But who cares? It's easier to buy a sub $500 bike and spend a few bucks here and there over the months and years.
that's exactly why i am looking at a $500 bike to start. there are a few upgrades that i am going to do, then a few i may do. as i ride it, i can see what i want to do to it. i may love it ridgid, i may want a carbon fork, i may want a suspention fork. i am not sure yet, that's why i am looking at this bike. the possabilites are endless.

·
I like endos
493 Posts
I love my monocog

I love it so much that I bought another frame to attempt to put some gears on it. I like the geo better than anything else I"ve ridden in the price range and I like the versatility and the upgradability. Mine's right at 25lbs now, which isn't too bad considering I've got all of $650 in it. Eventually it will get a Bonty switchblade carbon fork and some discs and maybe a nicer crank and then I'm done. I'll be in it ifor all of $900 all together and it will weight about 24lbs. I'm not sure you can beat that.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,745 Posts
Then

that's exactly why i am looking at a $500 bike to start. there are a few upgrades that i am going to do, then a few i may do. as i ride it, i can see what i want to do to it. i may love it ridgid, i may want a carbon fork, i may want a suspention fork. i am not sure yet, that's why i am looking at this bike. the possabilites are endless.
I stink this may be the bike for you. The point I was trying to make is that if you are going to spend $1000 on a bike (bike plus fork and whatnot) then you should really compare it to the $1000 bikes out there. The real advantage of the MC is that you can spread the $1000+ investment over time and be riding a fun bike the entire time.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The real advantage of the MC is that you can spread the $1000+ investment over time and be riding a fun bike the entire time.
this is the most attractive feature to me. also, a $500 bike will sound better to my wife. i got a $2000 bike is september, so this one will be a little easier to slip by her. as time goes on i can spend $100 here and there as opposed to $1000 to start.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You get what you pay for? Are you kidding me? The Monocog is a SCREAMING deal! I paid $469 for mine, and then another $160 on pedals, grips, bar and stem. So I'm out a whopping $630 and the damn thing rides great -- stable, solid handling, quick in the turns, weighs about 26 1/2 pounds. There's just no way that $1260 would buy me twice as much bike. It's a singlespeed, fercryinoutloud!

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
ParkerFly said:
I love it so much that I bought another frame to attempt to put some gears on it. I like the geo better than anything else I"ve ridden in the price range and I like the versatility and the upgradability. Mine's right at 25lbs now, which isn't too bad considering I've got all of $650 in it. Eventually it will get a Bonty switchblade carbon fork and some discs and maybe a nicer crank and then I'm done. I'll be in it ifor all of $900 all together and it will weight about 24lbs. I'm not sure you can beat that.
lemme know when you get those gears going!!

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
and w228 code will get you 10% off of that price.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to ask a stupid question but did you mean " . . . with 228 code . . . " or is the code "w/228"?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts