Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Got a good offer on the RF Nxt carbon crank, like this one with the "old" chainrings:

https://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/images/chainsets/main/Race%20Face%20Next%20SL%20Chainset.jpg

Theres a new 2010 version with turbine rings out these days, has this one the same crankarms as the old just with diffrent rings? - Some say they last better than the old version who cracked?

I'm planing to set it up for 2x9 with a 42/27-28 combo.

Something simmilar to this

https://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...ceFaceNEXT.jpg

Only thing holding me back is that I can't find any info regarding q factor, and other people saying that the break very easily?

Don't want the QF to be extremly wide + I want a crankset that can stand racing it:)

Any final thoughts, would you recomand it?

best regards

Sorry for bad spelling

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I had a set of cranks from the 1st batch that I bought form Chain Reaction Cycles, and like many others, the chainring tabs broke. They were replaced under warranty and I tok the opportunity to upgrade to the Ti spindle version. So far so good. If it were me, I wouldn't waste my money on the Ti spindle version. It was exactly 11g lighter than my original set with Chromo spindle. I am running them 40/27, and now changing to 40/26. The 40 is on the inside of the 104 BCD tabs and the 27 (26) is mounted in the granny position. I had to space the 40 even closer to the 27 so the chain would not drop in between when shifting down.

Don't know what the Q factor is though.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
I too had one of the first production run Next cranks and they had the spider's chainring bolts break out on two arms. I have a warranty replacement set now and they have been good so far. The XTR BB is lighter than the RF BB by about 25gms.

The Q factor is 170mm with the mandatory pedal washer, it could be 168mm if you left the washers out but that is not recommended.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
BlownCivic said:
I am running them 40/27, and now changing to 40/26. The 40 is on the inside of the 104 BCD tabs and the 27 (26) is mounted in the granny position. I had to space the 40 even closer to the 27 so the chain would not drop in between when shifting down.
Rings from Mathias or someone else?

·
sometimes cheeky
128 Posts
Anyone know a cheap source for the Next ?
I've found 445GBP. Somewhere cheaper ?

@Blowncivic,
could you tell us the weight of the both crankarms (incl spindle ;-) only ?

Tanks.

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice!
Did you use any spacers for mounting the 42/28 combo?
Are you satisfied with the 2x9 setup?
How do I tell if I buy a "first batch"(craking) set or not?

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Unless you're buying used Next cranks there's almost no chance you'd have a set of early cranks, it's been about 15 months since that small first production run happened and they sold out pretty fast.

If you're buying used cranks, I'd make sure the rings get taken off to inspect the spider bolt holes.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
bottleboy said:
Nice!
Did you use any spacers for mounting the 42/28 combo?
Are you satisfied with the 2x9 setup?
How do I tell if I buy a "first batch"(craking) set or not?
I've been wondering if my crankarms are 1st or 2nd generation..
I found a picture of the 1st generation, pictured below.​

Above and below circled in red is the difference that I found on the spyders..
Below is what mine look like..
Might be that mine are second generation and that's why there holding up after a couple hits.​

"Did you use any spacers for mounting the 42/28 combo? "
No spacers needed for the GARA ringset..You can use a single ring fastener to install.
I didn't have any single fasteners so I put a spacer on the outside of the spider and used
a fastener for a double ring set-up.

"Are you satisfied with the 2x9 setup?"
Love it, the shift is flawless with my SRAM XX front dérailleur and grippers..

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Does anyone know why the RF next and other carbon cranks have the pedal washers that you have to use? I'm not quite getting how moving the pedal outboard would help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts