Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering either the Bontrager Line Comp 30s or the Mavic XA wheelset for my 17 Trek Fuel EX Plus bike. There's a few videos and reviews on the Line series, but I don't see much on the Mavic XAs with their new (?) ID360 freehub.

Any thoughts on the ID360 or which wheelset to go with?

I like that the Bontragers can be upgraded to 108t, but I hate that I have to either buy a $99 XD driver, or purchase a new Shimano cassette to go with my SRAM GX 11 shifter/rear-d.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pack66, I see you crossed off the Mavic wheels from your list and best of luck with what you went with.
I just figure to reply to your post since I picked up a pair of XA Carbon Elite with the id360 hub.
The wheels did come with a Shimano freehub and I had to install an XD driver. Very simple, simply pull the axle end cap, and them pull the freehub off. No tools, very similar to the DT Swiss system which I have to believe the id360 is heavily inspired by. Installing the XD driver was just as easy. Simply rotate the driver as you install and clicks right into place. Then finish off with the axle end cap and task complete.
I mounted up some Vee Tire Co. Crown Gem 29x2.35 with Finish Line tire sealant. Mounted up with no issues and very quickly. Very happy about that.
I mounted the wheels on my hardtail. I only have two rides so far and honestly, this is my first carbon mtb wheel set. I have a set of XA Elite alloy wheels Ive been riding for about two years with great service and reliability. Very happy with those wheels. On to the XA Carbon Elite wheels.
So far they do feel like the spool up to speed a bit quicker and they do feel stiffer laterally, vertically they are stiffer as well however not quite as noticable as the lateral stiffness. Afterall, they are fresh new wheels.
Again, only a couple rides so far. I have to put more time on them to further define what Im feeling.
The free hub has a nice sound, not too loud.
Im still dialing in the air pressure. This is my first set of Vee tires. Been running WTB Trail Boss for a few seasons and figure to try something new.
So far so good. If ya like I can send a couple pics and update once I have more rides on the wheels.
-RVV

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
For those wondering, I've crossed the Mavics off the list. They're 24h, which makes finding replacement rims difficult.
Smart. If I had a nickel for every dead Mavic freehub I've seen/replaced I could buy this whole forum a root beer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.