Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
as opposed to a somewhat fickle lover, that no longer appears in the lineup........
Which is why I sold mine last fall after talking to the factory mechanics. I loved the fork but don't want to worry about being able to service it in two years.

How hard is it to shim the SL for the Caffeine29?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Cannondale4Life said:
Just wondering what people think of the Lefty with Fox TT internals. If you had the choice would you go with the 2006 Lefty Speed Carbon with Fox TT or the 2007 Lefty Speed Carbon SL?
Hey, I was making the same decision last month, I didnt know which one to buy the Fox Lexty or the SL, After trying the Fox from my friends bike. All i can say its I loved it, its just awesome...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Fox Lefty has been good to me

Cannondale4Life, I have had no problems with my Fox Lefty on my 2006 Scalpel 3000-it has been a joy to ride. Swift, stiff and suple bump absorption. I use my Scalpel for very, very light mountain and mainly just XC cruising around on flat stuff. I keep mine tuned 4 clicks out from fully open tuned or low damping. If I ever have any problems I'll send it to Mendon for a fix.:)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Fox Lefty

C4L-I have never had any problems with my Fox Lefty. But if I ever do Mendon is the man to go to- I try to do an annual sevice on my Leftys depending on how much trail time they have gotten. I believe the Lefty would be covered by the general warranty against defects in workmanship etc. Cannondale is good about taking care of their customers imho. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
879 Posts
skinl19 said:
Which is why I sold mine last fall after talking to the factory mechanics. I loved the fork but don't want to worry about being able to service it in two years.

How hard is it to shim the SL for the Caffeine29?
You have to service it every two years? Ouch! :eek:

To everyone else: Some of us noticed from the pic of Tinker's Carbon Rush that Dan posted that his bike is equipped with the TT Lefty. This is interesting, especially considering that he is basically The Man at Cdale racing and probably has access to all kinds of Cdale bikes, probably ones that are still prototypes. Maybe there is some technical reason he prefers it.

Now is this Terralogic an electronic sensor, or is it similar to the SmartShock seen on other bikes?

·
Registered
704 Posts
the setting on my fox its from - to + i have 10 clicks, Im still adjusting the fork, I just got it last week, I had a race today and it was awesome.... I star with 5 click then add one more and one more,, when going uphill with 5 click it react too easy to the bumps.with 10 im happy so far..... Let me ask you somehting Cannondale4Life does yours have a full lockout of there its a small suspension before it locks...

·
Registered
91 Posts
terra! terra! logic??

hi,
i am a new owner of a terralogic from 2006... well i think it's a little bit tricky to set up simply because standing still it's almost completely locked out!

I look at it as a "animated" beast and i am still looking to understand its logic!! :madman:

what its certain is that on the trail is much more efficient: you discover how with previous fork most of the effort was gone in bobbing!! Ok manual lockout can be a valid alternative, but this is very different as atcs all the time and belive me is good!! your speed increases and reactivity too!! :thumbsup:

what i see as a problem is that it's not so easy to adjust: in my case i run it on the minimum thresold (= maximum sensibility of terralogic) , but i have the impression that some hits are not adsorbed becaue the valvle remain closed!!
Some people say that they can even decide from the thresold setting the dimension of the gravel they want the TT to be activated.... :eekster:

the question is : my fork is okay??

as far as maintenance i think it's the same...

ciao

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
michelefiorentin said:
what i see as a problem is that it's not so easy to adjust: in my case i run it on the minimum thresold (= maximum sensibility of terralogic) , but i have the impression that some hits are not adsorbed becaue the valvle remain closed!!
Some people say that they can even decide from the thresold setting the dimension of the gravel they want the TT to be activated.... :eekster:

the question is : my fork is okay??
Hey there, it is a funny fork to set up. The Terra Logic is an opinionated beast. The settings, near as I can tell do not allow you to go to a toptally "open" fork. There is always some level of "logic" lockout going on, and you feel the transition from lock to moving. Since this is the case, I think most people who like that sort of suspension design, want to fell it, and will interpret their impressions of it, through the filter of wanting it, if that makes any sense. Basically, they like the feeling of it, so they find the lightest settings to be a point worth waxing poetic about=:)

·
Registered
91 Posts
logic or crazy??

MendonCycleSmith said:
I think most people who like that sort of suspension design, want to fell it, and will interpret their impressions of it, through the filter of wanting it, if that makes any sense. Basically, they like the feeling of it, so they find the lightest settings to be a point worth waxing poetic about=:)
ok Mendon, took me 5 minutes to understand your post (I am italian ! sorry :p ) and if I got right you ( a lefty fan indeed) are suggesting me not to bother to make any sense about the behaviour of a crazy TT logic!!
Well you could be right, but I want also to say that i am much faster with it and this is something which is above poetry!! :D

my final idea about TT is that the advantage of a faster ride is paid by a strange logic..
I hope to undestand it at best in order to get both advantages!! I am starting also to wonder the real sense of the fork in a front bike, as everybody has one whithout be conscious how much energy you loose in it!!

thinkk about...

ciao:thumbsup:

·
16,484 Posts
michelefiorentin said:
ok Mendon, took me 5 minutes to understand your post (I am italian ! sorry :p )
Well, I'm sure you did far better, than if I tried to understand an Italian posting:D Sadly I am in the category of Americans who are not multi linguistic, unlike the rest of the world. Seems like most of them speak at least 2 if not more languages.

As for my post, what I was trying to get at, was, the fork is designed to be locked out, till a bump big enough to unlock it, get's hit. The trail tune allows you to lessen the lockout feeling or threshold, but there is not a level low enough to make it be responsive to impacts as slight as a piece of gravel in the road. Which is too bad, cause I could like a fork that allowed me to have that broad of a range. As it stands though, I far prefer the plushness of open free moving travel, to the wrist numbing ride of a Terra Logic. That's the beauty of suspension, we can choose what we like! Terra Logic is great for racing,or any efficiency minded rider, of which I am neither. As for the benefits of suspension, they do indeed make you faster than ridgid, as I learned, back when suspension first came out, and all my buddies suddenly got faster....till I got it too:D Enjoy it!

·
Registered
91 Posts
missing option

Well,

thanks mendon for your advice in TT logic... now I will not get crazy anymore on the settings( pressure, rebound and thresold) : I understand that this fork is in normal "lockout mode" and you arms get tired faster (your legs less..)

It's not easy to get used too the sudden change from "piece of wood" to lefty characteristc plush travel(which as you know it's still to be supassed by competition) !! sometimes i get suprised and i am worring for an endo! It's a fact also that with TT you loose the famous feeling of lefty ;(

Anyway i heard about an italian shop (leonaXdi) who "modifies" the TT.. I am not sure - he want to talk about this mod on the phone only- but he can make broader the terra settings.
I think it's not that complicated from a mechanical point of view (just keep the crazy valve open!!) but gives you the choiche from a smooth ride and a controlld lockout...:thumbsup:

anyone in the US did it already??

·
16,484 Posts
michelefiorentin said:
Anyway i heard about an italian shop (leonadi) who "modifies" the TT.. I am not sure - he want to talk about this mod on the phone only- but he can make broader the terra settings.
I think it's not that complicated from a mechanical point of view (just keep the crazy valve open!!) but gives you the choiche from a smooth ride and a controlld lockout...:thumbsup:

anyone in the US did it already??
Interesting, I've not heard of anyone here doing it, but it's col that someone is. I guess there won't be too many getting done though, since they are no longer making the forks. Cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Terra is dead?

dear Mendon,
I also know that Canondale modified TT behaviour from 2005 to 2006. This complicated more facts about TT and creates lots of confusion between users.
Do you know exactly what is changed and how i can check the year of my model (purchased on ebay)??
I asked to a lefty mechanic and he sai that is impossible to chck the year without open the fork...is this true??
I have no sag or very little which is difficult to notice...this is not very smart...:madman:
In any case many people think lefty TT as the best XC fork of ever!!:eek:

ciao

·
16,484 Posts
michelefiorentin said:
dear Mendon,
I also know that Canondale modified TT behaviour from 2005 to 2006. This complicated more facts about TT and creates lots of confusion between users.
Do you know exactly what is changed and how i can check the year of my model (purchased on ebay)??
I asked to a lefty mechanic and he sai that is impossible to chck the year without open the fork...is this true??
I have no sag or very little which is difficult to notice...this is not very smart...:madman:
In any case many people think lefty TT as the best XC fork of ever!!:eek:

ciao
Hey there, unfortunately, you cannot tell from the outside, sorry. In '05, the forks had the original Terra technology, which had a very harsh platform edge. You had to really WHACK it before it turned on. Then it would turn off, and you'd have to repeat the process. It was very unpopular, except with efficiency obsessed racers. Then, in '06 they added Trail Tuned technology to the fork, which helped with that sharp edge, and now the racers were howling, since their supper harsh, effiecient fork was gone. After two years of getting yelled at by one faction or another, and having alot of problems that only sending it to Fox could solve, they dumped the fork. Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the Fox on my 2006 Rush and it was nice once I got used to it. I had the bump threshold set on the lowest (most sensitive) setting and there was still a bit of hesitation before the valve would open. It is also a little difficult to service the air accurately. I think the chamber is pretty small and it is difficult to get the pump to open the valve. This could be an operator issue (my fault), though. That said, I had a chance to trade up to the Speed Carbon SL for a good price and did it. I am looking for a fairly plush ride and am willing to lock the fork out for a slightly more plush ride. The Fox internals are not electronic, they are actuated by a brass weight. I hope that helped.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.