Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a mt. bike for months now. Just this weekend while my son and I were headed to a Rush concert (great show, BTW), we stopped in at a shop and I test rode an '08 Giant Rainier. Seemed like a fine bike for the price (right around $700). Front Marzocchi shock had lockout, brakes are Avid BB5 mechanicals, and I was hoping for an under $1,000 mt. bike with lockout (for climbing fireroads where I live) and disc brakes (for potentially wet single track where my son lives).

Does anyone have an opinion on this bike, or another bike I should take a look at?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Can you people who have experience with these new 08 models post pictures and specifications? Most of us don't know what you are talking about since the internet does not have information on it (giant website).

·
Supreme Enchilada
87 Posts
I have an 07. Excellent bike. The ergos seem to fit me like a glove. I was able to test ride the bikes my local LBS had in that price range and as soon as I rode the Rainier I knew that was the bike for me. It just felt right.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For '08 in the US, the Rainier has been replaced by the returning XTC! The XTC 2 has the ALUXX SL tubing (lighter) and a racier geometry. It has a RS Dart 3 with a lockout. The components are SRAM SX-5 (really the old X-7). They only cost about $650, too. I rode one around the shop after building one up the other day, and it really felt great! I'm so glad they have race geometry hardtails again! Buy it. You'll love it.
-Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any info/specs on the '08 Yukon or whatever the next step down would be in the hardtail line? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Yukons are essentially the same spec this year. There is a blue/silver one and a yellow/silver one. Your Giant dealer should have pics. The XTC 2 has Hayes MX-4 brakes this year. I actually like them just as much as or more than the Avid BB-5.
-Chris

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
cmon you gotta be crazy, Hayes are a step backwards! Well I think there was a fork and brake downgrade for the frame upgrade..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike_socal said:
I have an 07. Excellent bike. The ergos seem to fit me like a glove. I was able to test ride the bikes my local LBS had in that price range and as soon as I rode the Rainier I knew that was the bike for me. It just felt right.
Cool. For lack of a better way to put it, is the Rainier "trail worthy"? I'm not sure exactly what I mean by that ... perhaps just wondering if a sub-$1000 bike can survive technical single track, etc. (However, I am more worried about me surviving than the the bike:) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered the '07 Rainier from the LBS Friday. Thanks all, especially Mike for the info. I've got my fingers crossed that this bike will do the job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts