Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross post from the wheels forum:

Looking to lighten the load from my stock Axis Elite wheelset (~1880g as weighed on my scale) on my new Specialized Diverge comp E5. Was fully set on aluminum wheels but these caught my eye at 1610g and 24mm ID I think, + DT 370 hubs. Just don't want a harsh wheelset to go with my aluminum frame and for that reason I was pretty sold on alloy wheels (from Hunt Wheels most likely) but these look like a pretty good deal...if they ride nice and not choppy/harsh then that is what I'm after. This bike will see plenty of gravel and other non-paved surfaces, plus tarmac of course. I am not anti CF for wheels, although I've never owned a set. But I do know that some ride much harsher than others. Railing turns and keeping a line at high speed is not really a consideration for me on this bike. However compliance definitely is. With aluminum I pretty much know what I'm getting so that's kind of my comfort zone.

Me:. 195lbs, live and ride in Phoenix so no buff Midwest dirt trails for me, everything off-road has rocks or at the minimum crushed granite over hard pack and is rutty and bumpy to some degree.
thks

...tldr: I'm wondering if these wheels lean towards compliant or harsh on the CF spectrum.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Cross post from the wheels forum:

Looking to lighten the load from my stock Axis Elite wheelset (~1880g as weighed on my scale) on my new Specialized Diverge comp E5. Was fully set on aluminum wheels but these caught my eye at 1610g and 24mm ID I think, + DT 370 hubs. Just don't want a harsh wheelset to go with my aluminum frame and for that reason I was pretty sold on alloy wheels (from Hunt Wheels most likely) but these look like a pretty good deal...if they ride nice and not choppy/harsh then that is what I'm after. This bike will see plenty of gravel and other non-paved surfaces, plus tarmac of course. I am not anti CF for wheels, although I've never owned a set. But I do know that some ride much harsher than others. Railing turns and keeping a line at high speed is not really a consideration for me on this bike. However compliance definitely is. With aluminum I pretty much know what I'm getting so that's kind of my comfort zone.

Me:. 195lbs, live and ride in Phoenix so no buff Midwest dirt trails for me, everything off-road has rocks or at the minimum crushed granite over hard pack and is rutty and bumpy to some degree.
thks

...tldr: I'm wondering if these wheels lean towards compliant or harsh on the CF spectrum.
Sorry, no personal experience but the Hunt and similar were on my radar before getting Bontrager Aeolus V. No regrets with the purchase. Better post-sale experience with Trek was important to me and I ride them on single track and what some might consider rough stuff for gravel. The streets I travel are worse than some of the trails and gravel roads.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm wondering if these wheels lean towards compliant or harsh on the CF spectrum.
The only attribute I ever notice a difference in when it comes to wheels is lateral stiffness. Nothing more annoying than a flexible or slow responding wheel...

Tire compliance (or not) has to completely overshadow any small differences in wheel "compliance".... unless it's a one-piece composite wheel... then I could see that being a major departure from standard spoke wheel design

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^
Thanks for the input. After much research I decided not to overthink this any further.

I'm going to go with the Roval CL (carbon) wheelset. With a 15% off code from specialized it turns out to be a pretty darn good deal and seems like a really nice wheelset for my needs. Should be fine for the off-roading I'm doing and probably will really shine on the road as they are about 1400g vs. my 1850g+ stock wheels.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
I purchased a set of Terra CL wheels shortly after they became available and my shop got 2 sets. Early July I think? Anyways, they have been great! 25mm internal, DT350 hubs with 36T star rachet, lifetime warranty, and only $1499. I have over 1,000 gravel miles on them since purchase and they still look like new. Rear hub is pretty loud for most I guess since I do get some looks on group rides. I'm used to it though since I use DT350 on all my mountain bikes. I tried running the 54T star rachet on the gravel rig and it was a bit too much.

I run them with 700x38 Vittoria Terreno Dry tires. I've been playing with air pressure between 40-50 PSI. At 50PSI they tires measure 43mm wide on the 25mm internal Terra CL wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.