Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike was stolen today and I am thinking of using the insurance money to get a RFX. I am a big guy 225 lbs, so thinking this over a 5spot. I have a 36 RC2 that arrived in the mail today and would build the rest of the bike with x9, thompson, crossmax xl wheels, race face cranks...

thoughts? don't huck the bike, but like to trailride and get speed on the downhills.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Go for it.

Rontele said:
my bike was stolen today and I am thinking of using the insurance money to get a RFX. I am a big guy 225 lbs, so thinking this over a 5spot. I have a 36 RC2 that arrived in the mail today and would build the rest of the bike with x9, thompson, crossmax xl wheels, race face cranks...

thoughts? don't huck the bike, but like to trailride and get speed on the downhills.
That should work well for you!!! The crossmax XL makes it easier to climb.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
I've got a Six Pack and a Burner. Guess which one I flog all the time, yep the Six Pack. A bit heavier but the grin factor negates that. Don't worry about the geometry like I was for trail riding because it is just fine and a guy your size should be able to throw the bike around those corners no problem.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Check the setups database in the FAQ and you'll see many RFXs are set up as burly trailbikes. the little bit of extra weight might even make you a stronger rider. The only problem is when the the inspiriration hits to take it up a notch, you won't have an excuse...you'll just have to do it.:thumbsup:

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Hey rontele, bummer about the bike. That was your 575 right? Was it stolen in Chi-town or the People's Republic (can't keep up with where you are)?

RFX should be a hoot. I was surprised by the RFX/6-pack's overall feel and competent pedaling, esp. given my XC sensibilities. For my tastes the five spot is a better all-around bike (will probably have one sooner than later), although I would love to spend some time banging around on a bike like the RFX if I could swing having two bikes (flux + RFX = cowdog's dream = not mrs. cowdog's dream). Of course, there are folks around here who chug along up and down on the pack/rfx and seem to have more than enough fun. Good luck with the decision/purchase. And, again, bummer that your bike was stollen. That sucks.

BTW, make sure you let Gonz know that you are a tele skier. That should make this thread more interesting. :madman::madman:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indeed, it was the 575. Stolen from Denver. I am leaning towards the RFX at this moment unless dobish tells me that they have an Intense 5.5 or 6.6 at Bent Gate that they can build up for me VERY QUICKLY :D

the best skiers are tele skiers. did you see my cover shot over cesare over on ttips today?

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
When the snow melts from my yard, I mostly stop playing on teletips. But I just looked. Great picture rontele! Congrats. And good to see cesare front and center skiing. He's one of the all time good guys, even if he doesn't ride a bike.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
My small frame RFX weighs in at 32 pounds with a simular parts list as yours with no girly man parts on it.(perhaps gonzo approved even) I did a mini-me shoot out between a Pack and a 575 with all the same parts swapping bike to bike. The 575 was sold soon after even though I loved that bike. Would definitely by another and would most likely take one over a simular type 5 Spot sometime if I desired but the 6" Turner was just more fun to ride.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Runnin the '06 RFX w/ a Vanilla 36rc2 and it rocks for trail riding. It's built up moderate @ 33lbs. The only "light" products are the CNT bars and carbon XO medium cage rear der. The thing rails the same trails we hit on our DH bikes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
6-pack as front range trail bike

I'm riding one locally and love it. It also is a replacement for a stolen bike. I've got to say, I'm glad it was stolen, cause I couldn't have afforded this bike otherwise, and the Pack is fantastic. Here's my thoughts on it.

Mine's built to 32 lbs, as an aggressive trail bike build. A lot of my riding buddies ride 575's and depending on build, they're usually a little lighter. I came off of a Weyless xp (heckler clone) and noticed a huge difference in the suspension performance. I've done some longer rides (20+ miles at Buffalo Creek, Indian Creek, Monarch Pass and in Fruita) and definately notice the weight, but the bike rides really well and I don't hesitate to take it on the long rides. The bike climbs the techy stuff well, and I probably don't need to tell you that it will give you a prema-grin on the descents. I think the Geometry is really good for trail riding if you're not super xc guy.

Couple things to consider: The Medium frame is the same size as a large spot frame. I really think an adjustable fork is the way to go with this bike. I've got an 05 Z1 on it and am very happy with it. I had problems getting a Pike to clear the downtube and have seen other people with this problem as well.

This forum is a great resource so do some research and you'll find tons of info on the bike. PM me if you want to see the bike, I'm in Denver.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
He is going to get a good bike I am sure but he is missing the love, and in the long term, the ride.
I would have said the Spot was a good one for him as he didn't really need that fork anymore; the five pack if he had to keep the fork, a Spot if he didn’t and or he could sell it/send it back.

Intense forum 0 Turner forum 14

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Prof said:
He is going to get a good bike I am sure but he is missing the love, and in the long term, the ride.
Yeah I've been weeping steadily ever since I got my 6.6 built up. Just feels like there's something I'm missing. :skep:

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Prof said:
Metaphorical / figurative ride.
What's that? The personal justification of posting on the turner board?:p

Just yankin your chain a little I guess, but I'm just not sure what you mean.

I prefer the way my 6.6 rides over an rfx.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cowDawg said:
For rontele it looks like he decided on a 6.6. He moves fast.
I have to move fast. I only have two more months in Colorado before I go back to school in Chicagohell...

The catalyst was the pricepoint. BentGate just started selling bikes and they carry Intense. My ski partner, bike partner, and good friend works there and they were able to hook up a pretty schweet deal. It killed any Turner's LBS price for an RFX and anything on-line.

When I have the Turner lust, I will just ride my dad's Burner :D

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
6.6 is a very appealing bike - great choice. I'm envious.

Turner forum is far more interesting than Intense forum here at MTBR, so make sure you ride that Burner every now and then so you can post here. You'll get way better information (and have more fun), even if you ride that 6.6 95% of the time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.