Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
work a bit of an odd schedule during the week, generally 2pm-sometime between 1:30 and 2 am.

sleep 3am-11am.

currently doing a mixture of riding (3-5 hrs on trainer and 3-5 hrs of winter mountain biking), snowshoeing (sometimes as a serious workout rather than biking), and lifting.

goals are overall fitness at this point, but with the main focus being prepared for mountain bike racing and soccer (I can't run too much because of knee injuries so I ride for my fitness and otherwise only to some plyometrics for soccer)

so far as my nutrition goes generally- I just try to avoid "bad" foods when possible and try to keep up with my calorie needs.

my question-

how effective are late night workouts on my trainer? I'm often up for riding an hr-1.5 from 1:30-3 am or so and then winding down for a bit and going to sleep.

I'm also never sure how I should deal with working out right before going to sleep nutritionally- thoughts? I usually just eat a bagel with natural peanut butter or some yogurt plus my skim chocolate milk (major staple of my diet).

Is it a better idea to use that time to hit the gym?

Should I just do what I can to shift my schedule so that I have more time in the morning?

thank for any advice

-Drew

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
I have similar questions, although my hours are a bit different. I have 2 kids and work 45+ hours per week. Other than my one night per week in the woods, I spend my time spinning on my trainer after the kids are in bed.

This results in something like an hour workout from 8 to 9 and then bed at 9:30 or 10.

I try to eat a very light dinner or snack between 5 and 6. After my workout, I drink some type of recovery drink so I have the juice to do it again the next night. Pretty sure excess calories right before bed are not really good for you and if I eat a bunch of food, I have a tough time sleeping. I also make sure my recovery drink gives me what I need without having a ton of extra carbs or calories.

I'm not expert though, I know what works for me right now.

·
Mark
204 Posts
I think each body is different.
I'm a morning workout person (5A-7AM) and I really have little interest in working out after 2PM. I think is it a daylight thing with me because I especially don't like exercise before/after dark.

If I do do a late workout it messes with my sleep schedule and I can't get to bed at my normal 9PM. My wife on the other hand would just as soon puke in the morning as workout. Consequently we have no contention for the exercise equipment or space in our house ;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes- that absolutely sucks!

It's better to get more fit certainly, but I know it's not as effective as training at sunrise would be for racing at sunrise.

I try to move my schedule around as much as possible in the 3-5 days preceding a race or other morning event so that I'm more prepared.

I raced last Sunday (winter/snow race) and was lucky enough due to the Holiday being on wed/thurs that I was able to start getting to sleep around 12 and up at 8 or so during that 4 day "run-up".

I think it's more the not used to being awake thing than anything else that sucks.

I remember the same issue a bit with my ski racing days- usually trained afternoons and obviously a lot of races were early morning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How about working out during a lunch break, or in your case, a dinner break during your work schedule? I know that's not always easy but I would sometimes workout during my lunch break when I had to go into work early. Maybe that way you can have a big meal after your workout and then have time for your body to unwind before you have to get to bed.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
i have a similair schedule, cept not so late.

i prefer to workout before my job. that way anything done after riding the bike is extra and counts as high calorie burn.

if you have to workout just before bed time, remember that you must fuel the engine right after a workout. that might not be possible that late for most people. full recovery will take longer if you cannot refuel right away.

its good to get a shot of protien right before sleep on a hard day anyways so you can do some muscle repair as yoou sleep. a good protein shake works great and is fast absorbing.

this advice is more for cardio type of workouts. lifting, you will be just fine late at night. in fact yoga and core workout is good just before sleeping.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no way I can get a long enough lunch out of here to get a decent cardio workout.

Should I be trying to limit my calorie intake immediately before bed? or should I be worrying about getting enough to refuel.

Looking over my workout log for the past few weeks I don't think I've had any problems with refueling after late workouts with the way I've been doing things.

It may be best if i focus on lifting after work and cardio before hand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.