Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some real rides in this weekend on my Large Ripmo. I'm coming from an XL Ripley v3. Ripley is built up fairly light. It's a trail build: Fox Factory 36 Grip2 fork, Factory DPX2 shock, XTR 12 speed drivetrain, carbon bars & crank, I9 Trail 270 wheel set, XR4 tires - 2.6" & 2.4," CB Mallet E pedals, etc. Weighs about 27.7 lbs w/ pedals.

I must say this is hands down the best bike I've ever owned. I really don't "need" this much travel for my riding. I'm in Reno/Tahoe and ride mostly trail type stuff.

This bike truly splits the difference between a Ripley and the HD4.

Climbing: I definitely notice the steeper seat tube angle. When climbing steep stuff it's awesome. Better than the Ripley. When climbing flats it doesn't feel as natural or as balanced at the Ripley. This may go away with time. Balance is almost as good as the Ripley but do notice that you are a bit higher off the ground. Overall, the Ripley does climb a bit better but not much. The Rimpo is excellent in the steeps. You just keep grinding and don't even realize how fast you are going. It's stealthy fast whereas the Ripley is quick.

Descending: All is can say is wow! Going from Fox 34 to 36 is what I needed. The head tube angle is perfect. Not too slack and not too steep. This bike just hauls ass. Compared to the Ripley, it is just as agile so you can pick your lines. Or you can just bulldoze over just about anything. It's eerily similar to the HD4. And you can pop off anything - just like the HD4. It's very playful even with the longer wheelbase. I'm not a jumper but I find myself jumping now. So much confidence. And I love NOT getting too many pedal strikes. I had so many on my Ripley. The bottom bracket height is perfect. Really makes a difference when hauling ass down the trail.

Other notes:

-Shimano 12 speed drivetrain: It's silky smooth. Shimano nailed the gearing on the cassette. Very clean setup on bars - I got the I-spec dropper remote. Using a Race Fact Next SL crank w/ 30t RF ring and put on a SRAM quicklink on the chain. It works flawlessly.

-Shimano 4 piston XTR brakes: These are amazing stoppers with great power and modulation. I swapped over my ice tech 180/160 rotors from previous bike and was going to get larger rotors but am going to hold off for now. I'm not sure I'll need it with these brakes.

-Bonty XR4 tires: Pleasently surprised by how well these performed. The 2.6" looks like a 2.5" and the 2.4" in rear looks like a 2.3." But, these roll super well and provide really predictable grip. Maybe it was the early season mostly moist trail conditions. I'm sure I'll go back to my 2.5" DHF/Aggressor setup later in the season. In the meantime, I love the speed these tires give you along with the traction it gives you - especially in the turns.

-CB Mallet E pedals: I've never been an SPD guy. I just couldn't get along with them. I've almost always used CB Candys or eggbeaters. So, despite the weight and despite some of the negative reviews in regard to clipping out, I bought some of these. Amazing. No problems getting in and out. These provide a perfect platform for my style of riding. And you can use them w/ regular shoes.

Summary: The Ripmo is a blast to ride. Going uphill it more than does the job. Not quite as good as the Ripley but better than the HD4. Ripmo just motors along and does it quickly. It's great in steep climbing. Descending is simply amazing. Makes you a better rider and puts a huge grin on your face. It carves great and gives you amazing confidence. Extremely poppy - maybe it's the Factory DPX2 I have on there. I'm sure the new Ripley 4 will be the latest and greatest and climb better than the Ripmo. But I'm starting to be all about the downs now as climbing is just a means to the end. I just can't imagine a better all around bike than the Ripmo.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Good analysis. Just rode my Ripmo in Fruita/Grand Junction and it was hard to believe I was on a “long-travel” bike on the climbs. The STA negates the weight advantage over my Ripley v3, maybe not for sheer speed but for comfort/ease. And going down, forget it. Not close. Fantastic all-arounder on steep, rocky terrain.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good analysis. Just rode my Ripmo in Fruita/Grand Junction and it was hard to believe I was on a "long-travel" bike on the climbs. The STA negates the weight advantage over my Ripley v3, maybe not for sheer speed but for comfort/ease. And going down, forget it. Not close. Fantastic all-arounder on steep, rocky terrain.
How do yo like your SB100? Does it complement the Ripmo?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.