Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a frame.
Anybody have any experience with one? Thoughts, heard anything?

I have an 04 s-works epic I'm keeping -- sweetnes. Have another bike I'll be selling the frame and want to move the parts to something else. Was going to get a more squishy full suspension but most what I'd get are all disc specific, but I don't have disc wheels or brakes to move over. I have a titanium road bike. Thinking a steel hard tail will give me the totally different experience I'm looking to own, and other than the epic. Which is afterall, only firm when it's flat, ANY other bumps I'm riding full suspension.

Anybody have some thoughts on this?

·
climb
2,293 Posts
I have one, and I love it. But I'm also in the process of putting together a full-squishy. I would do a search on the discussion board and see what everyone has to say. They are coming out with a FS Ti bike this fall...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have one and,

as my screen name implies, I love it. I've had it about 3 years. I don't ride super technical stuff, so I can't comment on that. I have spoken to other owners who do and say they don't miss their old duallies at all. Of course, they aren't made for hucking 10ft drops. The only reasons I would part with it are if I were getting another one (why), or if this one were unrepairable and I was getting another one (Oh, that's why).

Happy Trails,
Bob

·
Gulpttub
31 Posts
You can't go wrong with an IF

I ride a steel deluxe and love it (see avatar). Check out ifrider.com and ifbikes.com for more info.

Nev said:

I have an 04 s-works epic I'm keeping -- sweetnes. Have another bike I'll be selling the frame and want to move the parts to something else. Was going to get a more squishy full suspension but most what I'd get are all disc specific, but I don't have disc wheels or brakes to move over. I have a titanium road bike. Thinking a steel hard tail will give me the totally different experience I'm looking to own, and other than the epic. Which is afterall, only firm when it's flat, ANY other bumps I'm riding full suspension.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If?

I'm looking into getting a steel frame .... um ... Jamis, Ionic, Zion, etc. But WHAT is an IF .. and do they have a websit?

They are also prototyping a different model using the Tungsten Electrode full suspension design. IF Owners who register their IFs on the site have access to photos of it in the members only section of the site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kish

Nev said:

IF is good, for about same price you could go custom steel. Jim kish teaches the TI frame building class at UBI he does steel also. Really good builder and nice guy!!!
www.kishbike.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
IF not custom?

dirtshark said:
IF is good, for about same price you could go custom steel. Jim kish teaches the TI frame building class at UBI he does steel also. Really good builder and nice guy!!!
www.kishbike.com
I would bet that the folks at IF would be surprised to hear that they don't build custom frames. They once provided either "off the shelf" or custom. But since about 2002 they have been basically pure custom. By the way, they also offer custom TI frames and are about to release their custom dual bounce bike.

I guess you could say that they are custom after all...

Happy trails,
Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Custom

IndyFan said:
I would bet that the folks at IF would be surprised to hear that they don't build custom frames. They once provided either "off the shelf" or custom. But since about 2002 they have been basically pure custom. By the way, they also offer custom TI frames and are about to release their custom dual bounce bike.

I guess you could say that they are custom after all...

Happy trails,
Bob
I did not say that they did not build custom frames, it depends if Nev was buying off the shelf from a shop or he was going to have one made. They are as you said "basically custom" and there are mods that they will do as in tube selection and SS option and what not. It is not a secret that they build great bikes and im not disputing that, what i was saying is a full custom Kish steel retails for about $1100-$1300. He does Ti custom as well and is probably about the same price or less than a IF. I think IF's are great and i have a FAT city TI that is a killer riding bike probably built by one of the guys now at IF and if only 1 inch steerers were still around on manitou or marzocchi.
When I think of custom I think- Kish, Desalvo, Land shark.
I guess we will agree to disagree,
Keep the rubber side down
dirtshark

·
Registered
61 Posts
I didn't mean to flame on you...

dirtshark said:
I did not say that they did not build custom frames, it depends if Nev was buying off the shelf from a shop or he was going to have one made. They are as you said "basically custom" and there are mods that they will do as in tube selection and SS option and what not. It is not a secret that they build great bikes and im not disputing that, what i was saying is a full custom Kish steel retails for about $1100-$1300. He does Ti custom as well and is probably about the same price or less than a IF. I think IF's are great and i have a FAT city TI that is a killer riding bike probably built by one of the guys now at IF and if only 1 inch steerers were still around on manitou or marzocchi.
When I think of custom I think- Kish, Desalvo, Land shark.
I guess we will agree to disagree,
Keep the rubber side down
dirtshark
Mainly inform, but unfortunately I do get in a "mood" at my day job anymore. So, if I did get unruly, I do apologize. Yeah, the Deluxe has gone up a bit since I got mine. I think it's now about $1425, but that does include custom geometry and tubes, and their basic paint options (single colors or 2 color fades from their color pallette). The really fancy paint, like flames (which they are well known for), flowers, aliens or whatever does cost a bit.

About 1" forks. We have a customer at the shop (my "other" job- much better mood there) with a really sweet Merlin that is of the vintage for 1" steerer tubes. He wanted to get a suspension fork for it. At first we were skeptical, but there are at least two makers we found that still make a 1" steerer suspension fork. They are RST and Marzzochi. Neither model was extremely high end, but at least there is an option there. So if your Fat City TI is fully rigid, and you want to make the change, you might look into it.

Bob

·
Registered
331 Posts
Buy it

Bought a deluxe in '97. Sold it two years ago needed the money. Best bike I ever owned. One of the worst mistakes I ever made. My wife even says so. Buy one, flawless paint, welds and customer service.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got a '97 as well- my precious... It is an amazing ride. It's been through many incarnations, currently 2x8, fat tires and a Thudbuster on it- semi FS for my 41 year old ass. Mine is an off the shelf model. I do wish it had a slightly longer wheelbase, as I live in a desert rock garden region.

I'm contemplating a 29'er and trying to figure out how to pay for it. Many have said "just sell the IF"- not even a possibility. There's something about my Deluxe that I can't see myself parting with. It's an intangible sense of value and quality that is hard to desrcribe. You won't regret it .

·
415 Posts
nice bikes

It's easy to like a frame that you spent over $1000 on... :D ... That said I've had a lot of bikes over the years and my independent is the best riding hardtail I've owned.

As was already pointed out - all sizes are "custom". For my own frame there were some features I wanted (karate monkey style rear dropouts so I could run ss or gears), otherwise I knew what the top tube length should be and I knew that I wanted the frame to be adjusted to run a 100mm travel fork. Everything else was left up to IF to determine, including the tubing size, which are optimized for your weight.

I ended up with a frame that had a 15" seat tube, 71.5 head tube angle, 72.0 seat angle, with 30.27" of stand over. Not sure how this matches up to other frames out there but it looks very "konaish" to me with the sloping top tube. I like the ride and it fits great, which is the most important thing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just ordered mine!

After lots of debate on what type of bike to buy, I finally decided on an IF. Today the LBS placed the order for my Steel Deluxe. This is my first IF and I can't wait to get it. Hopefully IF delivers it within the next 6-8 weeks so that I can have it for the summer. I'll be sure to post pics... :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mtn Mike said:
After lots of debate on what type of bike to buy, I finally decided on an IF. Today the LBS placed the order for my Steel Deluxe. This is my first IF and I can't wait to get it. Hopefully IF delivers it within the next 6-8 weeks so that I can have it for the summer. I'll be sure to post pics... :D
I think it is peak build season right now, so it could definitely be a while. Make sure your parts are all ordered. It really sucks to have your frame arrive after a long wait, then have to wait longer because certain parts are backordered.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts