Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
the only parts i have any earned right to comment on are the frame, post, saddle, headset and tires, all of which are nice components, not ultralight, but built strong and able to take momentary wisdom lapses and accidental ****ups. it sounds like an awesome ride, IMO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was close to bidding on that bike, but I'm getting a frame (ebay also) and build it up myself. I will propbably end up over the $500 plus shipping that I could get the whole bike for, but the frame on this auction appears to be a 17" or 19" and I need the 21". On that note, I have e-mailed this guy 3 times to see what size the frame is with no reply, which is a little strange and may tell you something...

otherwise, for the price, it sems to be a great starter SS and you can always upgrade parts one at a time as needed.

·
mtbr remember
34 Posts
Check carefully

I have a very similar build, v-brakes rather than disc.

The bike is great. My ride comes in at 20lbs (+or- a bit), so not trick light weight, but not bad.

So far the I have 0 issues. The frame looks more blue in person, rear triangle is square not round tubes, seems over-built, which is a good thing.

Please look over feedback. Even though it is 100%, I see several comments about lack of communication and long delivery time. There are a few complaints about having to do some building upon arrival, but building and tweeking should be expected.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
bikeCOLORADO said:
from my experiences... if you have to ask, you shouldnt get it on ebay. it could be riddled with little things wrong with it that you will have to deal with.

that thing is 500 plus shipping.
retail on a gary fisher RIG is 999.
bianchi SASS is 850 (rigid)
cannondale 1fg ultra.. not sure, but i think about 900
there are a ton of new SS bikes that are not that much more than that.

yeah it's more. but it's new and purchased at a bike shop with warranty and later support and all. i suggest you go around to local bike shops and see what they have in your size in stock. you can test ride it and if it's on the shop floor, you might get a discount off of retail. if money is really that tight and you have the time

just my two cents.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
JH has a point

You could get nicer bikes for $300-$500 more, but if your budget is $500 then this looks like a good deal to me.

You may have noticed that he says the frame is new, he does not say all the parts are new. He probably bought a new frame and then built the bike out of scrounged parts maybe new, maybe used or take off OE parts. I have built a couple bikes myself that way, and I think you would be hard pressed to buy one of those frames and build it up like that for that price.

·
Registered
981 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
that thing is 500 plus shipping.
retail on a gary fisher RIG is 999.
bianchi SASS is 850 (rigid)
cannondale 1fg ultra.. not sure, but i think about 900
there are a ton of new SS bikes that are not that much more than that.
Those other bikes mentioned are almost double the price of the bike the original poster is seeking advice on. That's a big jump in price.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got one of these frames back in january off e-bay. It did come in with the left side seat stay welded misaligned. I called Fetish, and sent it back to them. They recognized the problem and sent me a knew frame back. They are w/o question, a stand by their prodct group of guys. The only problem is that it did take a while for the exchange but that's OK. I've got three rides on it including my first race on a single speed. The bike built up great! I you can, build it with at least a four inch fork, that's what the frames designed around. I built mine rigid with a fork equal to a 80mm that caused me make modifications with my stem and bar. All in all for the money this was a great purchase, i'm very well pleased. Will post pics soon.

Mcgruff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.