Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was married. I love working on cars. I bought a car for me to restore. My wife got a new car every 3 years and i never tweaked or modded her car. EVER. When she was ready we get her a new car. i made car suggestions and she drove them and got what SHE wanted. I would mod and tweak my project car to my hearts content. Modding and tweaking things may not make them better. Always a compromise and when it comes to a wifes happiness, i wouldnt say honey lemme wrench on your xxxx because its fun for me…

In this situation, have her ride a NICE bike. If she likes is spend the cash. Do nothing but keep it working like its supposed to work. Wrench on your bike. The options you gave her both kinda suck. Honey ride this old, outdated mongoose “full suspension mountain type” bike or honey ride a $250 walmart bike that i will put hand me down parts on and wrench on for fun. I say, have her ride a $800-1000 bike and if she likes it buy it and enjoy tye smile on her face when you two ride.

Your life, your wife. do what makes you guys happy.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,915 Posts
Well, I bought her the Schwinn this past Saturday night while we were out. She was basically begging for it so I bought it. I wanted to go look at the Trek in person but the closest place in stock according to their site is 2 hours away, and she didn't want to go that far.

She has rode it a few times; I took it town one day and rode around the track by myself. I actually started getting used to it and getting comfortable on it, and I'm 6'0". Tonight we went riding, and I am glad that I bought this Schwinn first. She is trying to get used to it, but I do not think she is liking it. No, it doesn't have anything to do with it being a Walmart Schwinn. I believe she is not liking the 27.5 wheels. She says it is harder to pedal than her other bike, and she cannot find a comfortable gear. She told me tonight that she was averaging 9 mph on her other bike, and she was averaging 7 mph on this. Each time we've rode since getting the Schwinn I have noticed that I catch and lap her more easily. She says she's going to give it a couple of more tries.

I find it odd that she can't find a good gear for her. I was able to find a gear that I liked going around the track. I rode beside her tonight to talk to her about what she was feeling; one gear she said was too easy and she was having to pedal more. The next gear she said was too hard.

Any way, might get to save myself $260 if I have to take it back. But we're learning some stuff about what she likes. She said she likes the trigger shifters more on the Schwinn over the grip shifters on the Mongoose. So if we go back to the other bike I may upgrade her shifters.
You bought her a heavy POS. What do you expect?

Why do you think it so odd that she can't find comfortable gearing? She's not the same as you. If she doesn't like it, who are you to doubt it?

I learned a long time ago that my wife ought to be riding bikes at least as nice as what I ride, if not nicer, if I want her to enjoy riding with me. Doesn't matter if she rides at the same level I do (she doesn't). She gets what SHE enjoys. In some cases, it took her time to figure out what worked for her and what didn't. That's fine. It took me time to figure those things out, too. We all start somewhere. When she wants something different, she tells me she wants something different and I make it happen. Otherwise, I don't mess with her stuff.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I actually started getting used to it and getting comfortable on it, and I'm 6'0".
Sounds like you should ride it!

And keeping her away from that trek was a savvy move, my friend ;)
4 hours drive just for hundreds of hours of quality riding?- no brainer.

Seriously tho, the bike fits a 6' rider and you are saying you are surprised it is not fitting your wife?
Is she under 5'10"?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Sounds like you should ride it!

And keeping her away from that trek was a savvy move, my friend ;)
4 hours drive just for hundreds of hours of quality riding?- no brainer.

Seriously tho, the bike fits a 6' rider and you are saying you are surprised it is not fitting your wife?
Is she under 5'10"?
She is 5'5". The bike is a 16". It is crammed for me, but just for riding around it is comfortable.

You guys act like she's coming from a high end bike. You want to talk about weight? She's been riding a KMart Mongoose that is full suspension with a coil "shock". The rear triangle is probably steel on that thing.

And, no, I cannot get her to go to a bike shop.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,915 Posts
She is 5'5". The bike is a 16". It is crammed for me, but just for riding around it is comfortable.
WTF is this? Show some actual documentation that this is supposedly a 16" frame. Like a geo chart. Everything I've seen in this thread tells me this is a larger bike, and nowhere have I seen a "measured" size (that method of determining frame size is antiquated meaningless BS, anyway). Because under zero circumstances should you be remotely comfortable on a bike that's supposedly at least 2 sizes too small for you. I can physically pedal my wife's bike that's 2 sizes too small to check it for being in good maintenance, but this is in no way "comfortable".

You guys act like she's coming from a high end bike. You want to talk about weight? She's been riding a KMart Mongoose that is full suspension with a coil "shock". The rear triangle is probably steel on that thing.

And, no, I cannot get her to go to a bike shop.
You are acting like this is something you yourself can solve. It isn't. It's no surprise she can't find a gear she likes to pedal on that bike. And it's not what you think. She's obviously very much a beginner "non-rider" sort of person. There's a lot she doesn't know and may not be comfortable with. I highly doubt it's the wheel size that's bothering her because 27.5 wheels are almost imperceptibly different than 26" wheels. Especially to a beginner. She probably has a fairly narrow range of what "feels" comfortable to pedal is all, and gearing on low end bikes is rarely well-considered. That's it.

Why won't she go to a bike shop? Sounds to me like she needs to be educated that if she wants to get into riding bicycles for fitness, she needs to understand how to select one that works for HER, and why that's important. The last bike my wife bought, we drove 16hrs round trip (plus lodging) so she could TEST RIDE one in her size before driving home to order it locally. The last bike I bought, I bought used from a guy who lived 3+hrs away from me. I met him around 2hrs from my house on two separate occasions over the course of about 3mo. First to test ride the bike, and second to purchase just the frame from him. Driving a bit to buy the right bike, or at least just to find one to test ride, might be the right thing to do.

Choosing a bicycle for someone else is like choosing clothes for someone else. It might work out, but chances are it won't. My wife hates to be anywhere around me when I'm shoe shopping because it's so difficult for me to find shoes that are comfortable. My feet are different enough that it really makes it a challenge for me to find shoes where BOTH of them are comfortable. There's no way I could send her to the store to buy me something. There's no way my wife would send me to the store to buy her pants, as those are her biggest challenge.

It's entirely possible that you need to get completely out of this process to force the issue.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
She is trying to get used to it, but I do not think she is liking it. No, it doesn't have anything to do with it being a Walmart Schwinn. I believe she is not liking the 27.5 wheels. She says it is harder to pedal than her other bike, and she cannot find a comfortable gear.
Trust us. It has everything to do with it being a Walmart Schwinn. None of what she is reporting is big surprise.

Grab the crowbar, pry open your wallet and splurge on a decent bike fercripesakes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Trust us. It has everything to do with it being a Walmart Schwinn. None of what she is reporting is big surprise.

Grab the crowbar, pry open your wallet and splurge on a decent bike fercripesakes.
I think he has his wallet where the sun doesn't shine. Dude already got his mind made up and we all know how this will play out. "She doesn't like the 27.5 wheels" honestly made me laugh.

And gonna need more than a crow bar to pry those cheeks open!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'm just going to go ahead say something that I've been refraining from saying but since everyone else here is going to act like assholes I will too and tell the majority of you to both kiss my ass and go to Hell. I've heard all the stories about the bike snobs here but for some reason I thought someone would have some useful information. I guess not. Everyone wants to talk about a department store bike being crap but she's OK with her other department store bike but apparently you don't think that one is heavy or crap for whatever reason.

For anyone who wants to know how I've arrived at a 16" frame, I don't know, I just go by the video from the guy who actually does a decent job at reviewing these things. Is he wrong? Hell, I don't know. I know for one of the Mongooses he reviewed he actually had Mongoose send him a spec sheet with the dimensions. But I'll take a measurement of anything, any way you want me to. I ride my son's GT Aggressor that I bought for him when he turned 11; that's a Small, and I'm comfortable on that too. But, damn, I guess GT doesn't know how to measure a frame either.

I like how people like to dismiss facts when it's convenient for them. All I see on here is 29" wheels are harder to get going but easier to keep momentum. By that fact a 27.5" would be harder than a 26", if only slightly. It could be the simple fact that the Schwinn has knobby tires where her Mongoose basically has a street design down the middle of the tires. I noticed the bike being slightly harder the first day I rode it too. But after I rode it for myself for an extended period of time and went through the gears I was able to find the sweet spot. She doesn't change her gears enough so that's why she hasn't found it. She wants to keep it on 2 - 6 like she did on the 26", but the gearing on this could be different and combined with 27.5 wheels it changes the rollout. That too is fact. I had to go up to the largest sprocket to find the spot, or spotS, depending on some slight inclines of the pavement.

Funny comments about the wallet. But you'd be wrong. I don't mind spending the money on something. If she wanted to go rip some trails I'd buy her whatever I'd spend on me. I'm looking to get a Trek Slash that is $3600 if the damn thing ever becomes available. But she doesn't want or need something like that, not even close. Most of you don't seem to know how to put things in perspective. No frame is going to fall apart riding around a school's walking track. I merely wanted to change her to a hardtail because I thought it would be more efficient. I also wouldn't go to a bike shop and spend $200 on a 16" bike for a 5 year old. I think the ones that do are nuts. We bought our oldest son a nice, used Mitsubishi Lancer the other year when he was turning 16. We didn't get him a new Corvette because he doesn't need it and it wouldn't make sense. By your logic though that seems to be what we should have done so as not to be called "tight" or "cheap".

·
Registered
267 Posts
Im gonna agree with you that name calling and insults are out of line. I also am still gonna disagree with you on your choice for your wifes bike. Im not saying spend $4k on a bike for her. Just that i know that a $250 is going to be worse than a $1000 bike. Happy wife. Happy life. Also, whats your time worth? Also how does she HONESTLY feel about you by
buying a $4k bike but she gets a $250 Walmart beater? Come on man…swallow your pride here and say I get it and get her a bike she will enjoy riding. There is a sweet spot between performance and cost. Find it for you and buy a bike there but I would bet that a $600-$700 Trek Marlin 5 or 6 would ride alot better and she would like it better than the $250 Schwinn.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Believe it or not, the vast majority of our responses have been made out of a wealth of experience and expressly for your and your wife's benefit.

Unfortunately we have not been able to affirm your underlying decision, and that is understandably frustrating.
And the fact there is complete unity in the responses should be a clue.

And when you speak for your wife by saying she has no interest in a quality bike because she has never ridden one; well that has piqued a strong response from this bike-centric community.
As I'm sure you might imagine.

But really, no one here has any interest in giving out bad advice in bad faith.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Blammo YOU asked for people's opinions and advice when you clearly had your mind made up from the start. Then when people gave you the advice and opinions that YOU asked for, you rejected all of it. Clearly you just wanted people to agree with you and then got offended when they didn't. You then bought the bike that everyone said would be **** and it was.
Moral of this story: don't ask for advice when you don't want it and you get what you pay for.
Better luck next time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most of you don't seem to know how to put things in perspective. No frame is going to fall apart riding around a school's walking track. I merely wanted to change her to a hardtail because I thought it would be more efficient.
So...how did tapered head tube, hydraulic brake upgrades, crank upgrades and air shocks get thrown into the equation for a bike to ride around a walking track?

This were things important to you...None of them would make the bike for efficient to ride around a walking track. Maybe a lighter fork, but she probably wouldn't know the difference.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've heard all the stories about the bike snobs here but for some reason I thought someone would have some useful information. I guess not.
You were given a lot of useful information here about staying away from that bike and the reasons why you should...but you chose to ignore it. Then because you ignored it, you came back and reported she was unhappy with the bike.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead say something that I've been refraining from saying but since everyone else here is going to act like assholes I will too and tell the majority of you to both kiss my ass and go to Hell. I've heard all the stories about the bike snobs here but for some reason I thought someone would have some useful information. I guess not. Everyone wants to talk about a department store bike being crap but she's OK with her other department store bike but apparently you don't think that one is heavy or crap for whatever reason.

For anyone who wants to know how I've arrived at a 16" frame, I don't know, I just go by the video from the guy who actually does a decent job at reviewing these things. Is he wrong? Hell, I don't know. I know for one of the Mongooses he reviewed he actually had Mongoose send him a spec sheet with the dimensions. But I'll take a measurement of anything, any way you want me to. I ride my son's GT Aggressor that I bought for him when he turned 11; that's a Small, and I'm comfortable on that too. But, damn, I guess GT doesn't know how to measure a frame either.

I like how people like to dismiss facts when it's convenient for them. All I see on here is 29" wheels are harder to get going but easier to keep momentum. By that fact a 27.5" would be harder than a 26", if only slightly. It could be the simple fact that the Schwinn has knobby tires where her Mongoose basically has a street design down the middle of the tires. I noticed the bike being slightly harder the first day I rode it too. But after I rode it for myself for an extended period of time and went through the gears I was able to find the sweet spot. She doesn't change her gears enough so that's why she hasn't found it. She wants to keep it on 2 - 6 like she did on the 26", but the gearing on this could be different and combined with 27.5 wheels it changes the rollout. That too is fact. I had to go up to the largest sprocket to find the spot, or spotS, depending on some slight inclines of the pavement.

Funny comments about the wallet. But you'd be wrong. I don't mind spending the money on something. If she wanted to go rip some trails I'd buy her whatever I'd spend on me. I'm looking to get a Trek Slash that is $3600 if the damn thing ever becomes available. But she doesn't want or need something like that, not even close. Most of you don't seem to know how to put things in perspective. No frame is going to fall apart riding around a school's walking track. I merely wanted to change her to a hardtail because I thought it would be more efficient. I also wouldn't go to a bike shop and spend $200 on a 16" bike for a 5 year old. I think the ones that do are nuts. We bought our oldest son a nice, used Mitsubishi Lancer the other year when he was turning 16. We didn't get him a new Corvette because he doesn't need it and it wouldn't make sense. By your logic though that seems to be what we should have done so as not to be called "tight" or "cheap".
It's not personal, no need to be so sensitive. People ask for advice, and that's what they get. Seems you had your mind made up before asking the question, so when the advice of so many was ignored, and the outcome we all predicted came to fruition, people are gonna take off the kids gloves so there's no misunderstanding. And the advice is well intended. I'll speak for everyone on this thread and say our intentions were simply to make you and your wife happy.

In my opinion, buying a $260 Walmart bike is being cheap. That's not an indictment on you personally, and doesn't mean anyone thinks you're a bad person. YOU asked for opinions, and that's what you got.

Hope you stick around, thought you got some good advice, and despite disagreeing with pretty much everything you said, I enjoy engaging with people that have different thoughts and opinions from my own.

Peace and love!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Everyone needs to realize that this is at least 90% relationship counseling and 10% technical discussion.

I once bought my wife a nice light $800 hybrid bike that was recommend and fitted to her in person by a good bike shop. She rode it one time, decided something about it rubbed her wrong, and it hung in the garage for 3 more years until we moved. I sold it on Craigslist for $200. I wish I were exaggerating.

Currently my wife rides a bike she bought one day at Walmart because it came with a cute basket, that weighs almost as much as my cargo bike, and has brakes that barely work even with all of my expert brake massaging. I curse it every time I have a take a bolted wheel off to fix a flat or lift it onto the car rack, but she bought it herself, it works for her, and she actually rides it. This makes no sense anywhere in my brain, but that's women for you, or at least my woman. I've surely learned enough after 14 years to know better than to try to buy her a better one at this point. Every so often I offer to fix her up a nice old roadie or even build her a frame, but that would probably just end up in disaster again. She doesn't like my music either, but so what, she has other redeeming qualities.

I have no advice to offer anyone who tries to buy a bike for their spouse, except good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have no advice to offer anyone who tries to buy a bike for their spouse, except good luck.
LOL yes they are special creatures. I once took my wife to the bike shop to get her a bike. She was adamant that she was not getting a bike with gears because she hated them. I ended up convincing her to get an 8 speed hub gear bike. She loved it straight away and still does and has even admitted a couple of times that she would like more gears haha 😄

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That's a issue for sure , people think they know what will work for them or that they know that they have a good idea if whatever. When in reality they don't have a clue , and nothing you say will change their mind, sometimes people just have learn the hard way.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
We went riding this morning and I took both of her bikes with us so she could compare back-to-back. She started off on the Schwinn and then switched to her Mongoose. She said her Mongoose didn't feel right either. She thinks it's because she's missed some days of riding lately because she's been working OT and has been too tired to go ride in the afternoon. But she gave me the OK to return the Schwinn since she feels like she's not gaining anything by keeping it.

Out of curiosity, I weighed each bike this morning before we left. The Schwinn weighed 37 lbs. The Mongoose weighed 35 lbs. However, I had her big cushy seat on the Schwinn at the time and I feel like that's worth a pound itself. I think if I switched them back I'd get 36 lbs on each one. Either way, not enough of a difference to squabble over.

We went by the bike shop yesterday but they didn't have squat. If we can get to a shop at some point that has anything in stock we'll revisit the idea. But I don't feel confident in her ability to determine anything with a test ride in the parking lot so I will be leery of spending the money only for her to say she doesn't like something again.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts