Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Manitou Markhor, Circus and Machete. Rockshox Judy Silver, Judy Gold, Reba, Suntour XCR Air, Epixon. You can even find some new Fox's in a straight tube still around. All good options...WAY more shock than your wife will need.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Manitou Markhor, Circus and Machete. Rockshox Judy Silver, Judy Gold, Reba, Suntour XCR Air, Epixon. You can even find some new Fox's in a straight tube still around. All good options...WAY more shock than your wife will need.
For myself, I'd like to know where the Fox straight tube forks are. I haven't came across any. X Fusion used to have one; I believe it was the Slide but now I can't find any. Do the others mentioned have lock out and/or remote lockout? That might be why I've overlooked some options if it doesn't.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For myself, I'd like to know where the Fox straight tube forks are. I haven't came across any. X Fusion used to have one; I believe it was the Slide but now I can't find any. Do the others mentioned have lock out and/or remote lockout? That might be why I've overlooked some options if it doesn't.
Pretty sure all of them have lockouts. I searched for a Fox for a long time...decided to get a new bike with a better fork since all the Fox forks I found were about $600-700. Why put a $700 fork on a bike that cost me $700.

Literally searched google for fox straight tube and this came up...so took me 15 seconds to find one for you....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Pretty sure all of them have lockouts. I searched for a Fox for a long time...decided to get a new bike with a better fork since all the Fox forks I found were about $600-700. Why put a $700 fork on a bike that cost me $700.

Literally searched google for fox straight tube and this came up...so took me 15 seconds to find one for you....
It says travel is 100mm, and I've been looking for 120mm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
You're acting like the frame on this Schwinn is in the same league as the Kona. They're far, far from being "the same" or even remotely comparable. It's not just "nice-looking". The build quality doesn't even compare. The support from the manufacturer doesn't compare. The assembly from the dealer and the support the dealer offers don't compare. Then there's the fact that the Kona comes in more than one size!

Department store bikes are effectively disposable. What's the point in servicing or repairing it when you can buy a whole new one for less? It's like computer printers. Why buy replacement ink when you can buy a whole new one (that includes the ink) for the same or less? You're going to wind up spending more on this Schwinn under your plan to upgrade it. Either buy it and let her ride it as-is, or forget the Schwinn and get something that's exactly what SHE WANTS to start with.
I'd like to know how you arrive at this conclusion. Have you seen this particular Schwinn and this particular Kona? You're only generalizing based on name and price. I've seen the Schwinn right in front of me, and the welds looked very good. It has thickness where it counts, like at the dropouts, and it has a replaceable derailleur hanger instead of built-in to the frame like a lot of department store bikes.

As far as manufacturer, I've dealt with Pacific Cycles, and they are very easy to deal with. If you have a problem, they're almost a "no questions asked" type. I've called about a problem and they sent out a replacement. I had a friend that had a problem with a Suntour fork on his bike and they sent him 2 because they didn't know what type of disc mounts his fork had. I've heard stories from other people with similar stories.

Now dealer support, that's where you got me. But I can work on bikes so that's not an issue. And if I ordered something like the Kona from online I wouldn't have dealer support any way.

Someone brought up different frame sizes for other bikes vs the Schwinn. I don't see where different sizes matter if the one size it comes in fits. It's like saying Brand X shirt only comes in small but Brand Y comes in XS to 2X. Doesn't matter if you happen to wear a small. The Schwinn is a 16"; I think Trek's small is 15". So I'd say they're comparable.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Exactly! <phew>

whispers 'get the kona!!!'
I'll tell you...if I thought my wife was going to keep riding I'd have no problem buying whatever she wanted (within reason). But the last few months she's been into a diet/exercise kick. The real test is going to be the next few months when it starts to get cold, and I'll see if she's going to stick to it. She used to walk but then when cold weather set in she stopped and she didn't go back to it. So I kind of have to see if this is a fad or something she's going to want to continue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You are making alot of assumptions...but your mind is set. So get the Schwinn!! People are giving you advice. Do you think that Schwinn frame (or any Schwinn Frame) weighs what a Kona or Trek or Spesh weigh? The "high end" $500 Schwinn Axum bike weighs in at over 36 pounds..Thats a porker. My $700 Rockhopper was 29.5. Do you think your wife will feel the weight in the wheels, and the frame? Im sure she will. Fact. Lighter bikes are better to ride. Again...you keep going on about how the Schwinn bikes are comparable to Trek, Giant, Specialized, Kona, and whatever brand you wanna mention, but the frames are not the same. The Wheels won't be the same. Even if some of the parts are the same. Thats why people are saying buy a decent frame and build it since you want to tinker or buy something that you won't dump $1000 into to get a decent $700 bike. Let us know how the Schwinn upgrades go. I'm not saying the Schwinn doesnt have a place...if it fits, and she rides it with little or no upgrades...you win. You say you plan on replacing the fork...well thats at least $500. Brakes another $100. Now your $250 bike is a $850 bike...and it may be worse to ride than a $800 bike.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,915 Posts
I'd like to know how you arrive at this conclusion. Have you seen this particular Schwinn and this particular Kona? You're only generalizing based on name and price. I've seen the Schwinn right in front of me, and the welds looked very good. It has thickness where it counts, like at the dropouts, and it has a replaceable derailleur hanger instead of built-in to the frame like a lot of department store bikes.
I know a little something about bikes. As do most people on this forum. Do you know the differences in how the tubing is shaped? Subtle differences in the alloys? Quality control demanded by the respective brands? Permitted mfg tolerances? I don't know what they are, but I guarantee there are differences between this shwinn and other name brand bikes. This schwinn is light years better than the usual sub-$100 department store bikes, sure. But it's still not at the same level as a low end bike shop bike. The costs are cut SOMEWHERE.

Now dealer support, that's where you got me. But I can work on bikes so that's not an issue. And if I ordered something like the Kona from online I wouldn't have dealer support any way.
Each brand handles dealer support for online purchases differently. But for most of the "traditional" brands with dealer networks who have begun offering online purchasing to compete on some level with direct-to-consumer brands, they DO offer some level of dealer support with the purchase. Based on your comments here, though, I'm going to suspect you don't know half as much about wrenching on bikes as you think.

Someone brought up different frame sizes for other bikes vs the Schwinn. I don't see where different sizes matter if the one size it comes in fits. It's like saying Brand X shirt only comes in small but Brand Y comes in XS to 2X. Doesn't matter if you happen to wear a small. The Schwinn is a 16"; I think Trek's small is 15". So I'd say they're comparable.
I brought up frame sizes. How can you say the Schwinn is a 16" size (bonus points if you can tell me why measuring frames that way doesn't actually make sense)? The product page posted earlier in the thread doesn't say what the frame size is. Just the range of people it can fit. Which is 64" to 74" tall. That's about 5'4 to 6'2. Most 16" frames SOLIDLY fit someone who's 5'4, plus or minus a couple inches. For the Schwinn to START there, I'm going to suspect that the frame size is much larger. It'd probably equate to most brands' large frame sizes. Possibly a medium. Yeah, it's not so bad if the bike happens to be a size that just so happens to fit you. But that kind of range of heights to fit this bike is absolutely ridiculous. There's no way someone who's 5'4 is going to fit the same frame size as someone who's 6'2. It's physically impossible. They just slap those numbers on there so they can convince more people to buy their one-size bicycle. People at the extreme ends of the sizing will either cram themselves onto the bike or stretch themselves onto the bike not knowing any better. Realistically, the bike actually fits people most likely in the middle of the range the mfr provides. Probably somewhere around 5'7 to 5'10, give or take.

I hope your wife is more engaged in this process than it seems so far. If she's a come-and-go fitness type, then a bike like this Schwinn is going to push her away from riding bicycles for fitness rather than encourage her to continue with it. This Schwinn isn't meant for that kind of use. It's a general purpose casual bike. It's not going to be especially enjoyable to hammer out the miles on. Or even enjoy much as a brew cruise sort of bike. With your fixation on this bike, it seems like you'd prefer her not to pursue fitness-oriented activities.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't know if the post was missed or not, but on the question of quality straight steerer QR budget forks, I don't think you can beat the Manitou Markhor on a budget. The fork is good out of the box, has easily adjustable travel (80-120mm) and can be upgraded to the ABS+ damper. You can also get a remote lock out (why?) for either the kwik toggle or ABS+ damper. Unless you're a very heavy rider and want 120mm travel, I wouldn't consider much else in the category.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lol. I cant help but laugh thinking about someones wife trying to ride up hills on that bike. 1x7 with a 14-34? Id say stop trying to convince us and buy the bike and mod away. The video answered my earlier question. Its a 35 pound 27.5 er bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Well, I bought her the Schwinn this past Saturday night while we were out. She was basically begging for it so I bought it. I wanted to go look at the Trek in person but the closest place in stock according to their site is 2 hours away, and she didn't want to go that far.

She has rode it a few times; I took it town one day and rode around the track by myself. I actually started getting used to it and getting comfortable on it, and I'm 6'0". Tonight we went riding, and I am glad that I bought this Schwinn first. She is trying to get used to it, but I do not think she is liking it. No, it doesn't have anything to do with it being a Walmart Schwinn. I believe she is not liking the 27.5 wheels. She says it is harder to pedal than her other bike, and she cannot find a comfortable gear. She told me tonight that she was averaging 9 mph on her other bike, and she was averaging 7 mph on this. Each time we've rode since getting the Schwinn I have noticed that I catch and lap her more easily. She says she's going to give it a couple of more tries.

I find it odd that she can't find a good gear for her. I was able to find a gear that I liked going around the track. I rode beside her tonight to talk to her about what she was feeling; one gear she said was too easy and she was having to pedal more. The next gear she said was too hard.

Any way, might get to save myself $260 if I have to take it back. But we're learning some stuff about what she likes. She said she likes the trigger shifters more on the Schwinn over the grip shifters on the Mongoose. So if we go back to the other bike I may upgrade her shifters.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought this cheap Walmart bike was supposed to include some upgrades from the start.

Both options you're giving your wife are bad ones, and sending her out on a cheap Walmart bike isn't gonna make her want to continue riding.

If you wanna squeeze pennies, do it with your own stuff. If you want your wife to enjoy mountain biking with you, get her a decent bike.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts