Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walk into this bike shop (high end one with expensive things), with my Downhill bike asking them if I could buy 2 feet of shifting cable housing. They cut me the length and I proceed to put it on the bike stand they have on the open floor. Guy says you have to take your bike off the bike stand. "You can't install it here, it is for customers". I asked him well If I paid for this then I would be a paying customer and I should be able to install it. His response was "If you want me to install it for you then sure but the bike stands are not used for people to install their parts". So I ask him how much for "you" to install the housing from my shifter to top tube socket he said 10 bucks. Mind you I got 2 ft because it was just a little over 1 ft, but I was not going to ask him if he could trim it to size as that would be asking him to actually do work.
Last thing he said was "Sorry dude bike shop is in the business to make money".
It is kinda funny because they usually do the odd jobs for people who walk in with out charging. Like minor derailleur adjustments, inflating tires, installing purchased parts, a little lube here and there ect...

Usually Bike shops are good in these area's but this one was really? I said no thanks gave back the housing and walked out. Took my business to a rickety old bike shop that has been around for 30 yrs. Old guy had no problem helping me cut it to length and me doing the rest of the work. Hell saved my self 12 bucks.

What are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
I walk into this bike shop..............

Here are mine-

Shop space is valuable and when a shop gets busy they need every square foot of it. I am a softie and learned the hard way (as usual) that most folks are far from pro by letting people borrow a few tools and perform simple jobs such as changing a flat. 30 minutes later, with greasy parts strewn all over the floor and customers tripping over them I very much regretted my generosity. This was by no means an isolated incident, and it took many, many lessons on my part before I mended my ways.

You may well be able to change a cable in 5 minutes but then again it may take 30 or more, and additional tool loans, and questions..... how is the shop owner to know?

I had a stand in front of the counter at my shop too but it was for evaluating customer repairs. There may have been an empty stand or two in the back but chances are within 5 minutes they would be full.

$10 is totally reasonable to size a cable, install it, and adjust the gears.

It's great that you found an old guy to help you out but chances are he wasn't too pressed for time. The guy in the shop was right, they're there to make money. Otherwise they won't be there.

I'm not such an old curmudgeon and I've helped out plenty of people in my day but I had a (mostly) firm policy about customers doing repairs inside, and we charged $ to do work.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sounds to me the guy wasn't to interested in building their customer base. A good experience there and maybe later you'd come back and buy a $5k bike, but I'm assuming you won't do that now. Who knows maybe he's got so many people lined up at the door to buy those expensive bikes he doesn't have stand time for somebody like you only paying a few bikes. I've been in the service based sales industry long enough to know that there's alot of people there that just don't belong. Note I've never worked in the bike industry so this is outside looking in.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Somebody else's bike stand is not for you to presume you can just throw your bike on there and start throwing on parts.

I'm siding with the shop.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Somebody else's bike stand is not for you to presume you can just throw your bike on there and start throwing on parts.

I'm siding with the shop.
Yep, I agree here. If you would have asked, the guy probably would have cut it to any size. And he may even have let you use the stand, if you asked. But, you blame him for you buying two feet and then proceed to use his stand without asking. That's extremely rude on your part.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
I'll side on the shop with this one. Bike shops are in the business to make money. I understand if they don't want you wrenching in their space. They don't know how competent you are and there is a small thing called liability.

I know there is not much danger in working on a bike in a stand, but...

Like JB said above, 10 bucks is reasonable for that service.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sounds to me the guy wasn't to interested in building their customer base. A good experience there and maybe later you'd come back and buy a $5k bike...
OP is too cheap to consider paying $10 to get the shop do the job for him. I don't think he would even consider buying a $5000 bike at all.

And what he did was rude...trying to use shop's equipment without asking first.

Reactions: beshannon

·
Registered
874 Posts
It is hard to tell whether you are serious or not. Who the heck would just throw their bike in a shop stand and presume they could do their own work on the stand the shop uses to make money? That really is absurd. Then he even offered to do the work for $10 and you walked out? You have got problems in my opinion, and the shop was right.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,404 Posts
I walk into this bike shop (high end one with expensive things), with my Downhill bike asking them if I could buy 2 feet of shifting cable housing. They cut me the length and I proceed to put it on the bike stand they have on the open floor. Guy says you have to take your bike off the bike stand. "You can't install it here, it is for customers". I asked him well If I paid for this then I would be a paying customer and I should be able to install it. His response was "If you want me to install it for you then sure but the bike stands are not used for people to install their parts". So I ask him how much for "you" to install the housing from my shifter to top tube socket he said 10 bucks. Mind you I got 2 ft because it was just a little over 1 ft, but I was not going to ask him if he could trim it to size as that would be asking him to actually do work.
Last thing he said was "Sorry dude bike shop is in the business to make money".
It is kinda funny because they usually do the odd jobs for people who walk in with out charging. Like minor derailleur adjustments, inflating tires, installing purchased parts, a little lube here and there ect...

Usually Bike shops are good in these area's but this one was really? I said no thanks gave back the housing and walked out. Took my business to a rickety old bike shop that has been around for 30 yrs. Old guy had no problem helping me cut it to length and me doing the rest of the work. Hell saved my self 12 bucks.

Sounds like you do not understand labor. Why did you bring your bike in the shop in the first place?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm with the shop too, part of their business is doing repairs and service, why would they let people use their equipment to lose money? Would you take your car down to a shop and drive it on their lift to do your own brakes? If I read correctly you were give the cable for free, then refused their low price to install it, and were offended?

I could see feeling mistreated if you asked how much for them to install it and they said "We have a half hour minimum and our labor rate is $50", but $10? As far as the "small jobs for free", how do you know the guys getting those jobs haven't bought a new bike from there every year, or friends with the owner or mechanics, or something else? Beyond airing up a tire which is just human decency, free perks are for loyal customers, not first timers.

Most ride areas have wash stands that would have worked, or it's not a big deal to do it on a bike rack or even leaned up against the wall outside. If you are competent and ride with guys from the shop they will probably let you come by with some beer after closing when they are hanging out and do your own service, but not as a stranger during business hours.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
It's really hard for me to picture someone walking into a bike shop with their tools, bike, buying housing and then just throwing it on a shop stand and going to work on it, without even asking. I'm betting the OP was going to ask to use the shop tools. And what about the shifter cable? Who replaces the housing without replacing the cable?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yea I have to side with the shop as well. You make them cut two feet then return it because you couldn't use their tools. Not cool. What if you messed up their stand and it fell on you or broke cutters somehow trimming your too long cable Stuff happens who would be responsible then?

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Your move to the stand threw everything off. Dedicated spaces are privileged access spaces. Your presumption creates a wtf moment.

·
ride more
2,626 Posts
Your a tool? Not sure if I completely understand, but if you got housing and no cable? You obviously don't know what your doing. Also, how about they walk into your house and give you some $ for two feet of aluminum foil and use it to wrap a roast or something and throw it in your oven? Same thing, how would you feel with some stranger just taking over your oven without asking?

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually no the 2 ft of cable was 5 bucks.

I'm with the shop too, part of their business is doing repairs and service, why would they let people use their equipment to lose money? Would you take your car down to a shop and drive it on their lift to do your own brakes? If I read correctly you were give the cable for free, then refused their low price to install it, and were offended?

I could see feeling mistreated if you asked how much for them to install it and they said "We have a half hour minimum and our labor rate is $50", but $10? As far as the "small jobs for free", how do you know the guys getting those jobs haven't bought a new bike from there every year, or friends with the owner or mechanics, or something else? Beyond airing up a tire which is just human decency, free perks are for loyal customers, not first timers.

Most ride areas have wash stands that would have worked, or it's not a big deal to do it on a bike rack or even leaned up against the wall outside. If you are competent and ride with guys from the shop they will probably let you come by with some beer after closing when they are hanging out and do your own service, but not as a stranger during business hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Owning my own shop. If you bought the cable housing from me I would have put it on for free if the stand was open. To create word of mouth and good customer service. Most bike shops also have to compete with cheaper online parts so they wont do much of anything without being paid.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
Actually no the 2 ft of cable was 5 bucks.
So, you wouldn't pay $10 to have the housing installed, which is a fair price. But, you gave back $5 worth of housing because you didn't get your way. You are totally effing unbelievable!!! TOOL is an appropriate word here. No wait, you are what I just coined as an Entitlement Tool. I'm betting you come from a mid thirties or younger generation who feels they are entitled to everything, but don't want to pay for anything.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts