Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Ride On!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just broke a rail on my Ergon SMC4 Comp seat, I don't really have much to complain about after a year of use and being 30lbs over the recommended 220 lbs max. I am pretty sure that Ergon would deny the warranty as both rails were bent a bit for some time. I have still have my stock Ibis seat for now, although it creeks quite a bit. Since the Ergon seats seem to be out of range for my 250 lbs. Any recommendations on what your using or what is a good seat for a clyde sized rider? - Cheers

· Registered
337 Posts
I'm a 6'4" 270# Clyde.

I use a C19 Carved Brooks on my rigid frame XC bike (Salsa Fargo) on Kenetic XL Suspension post. I feel the suspension post helps lower the max impulse stresses on the seat rails. Kinetic Post is very well engineered.

You got a rigid, front suspension or full suspension bike?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

· Ride On!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a 6'4" 270# Clyde.

I use a C19 Carved Brooks on my rigid frame XC bike (Salsa Fargo) on Kenetic XL Suspension post. I feel the suspension post helps lower the max impulse stresses on the seat rails. Kinetic Post is very well engineered.

m

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. I'm on a full-suspension bike (Ripmo) and thankful that I did not end up needing stitches or something, could of very easily ended up in a bad situation.

· Registered
337 Posts
m

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. I'm on a full-suspension bike (Ripmo) and thankful that I did not end up needing stitches or something, could of very easily ended up in a bad situation.
Yeah a seat break could end badly…

Check out the specs on seat rails. Some brands may have inferior steel alloys. Stainless Steel will not be as strong as Carbon steels. Forget Aluminum tails.

· Registered
411 Posts
I'm a 6'4" 270# Clyde.

How comfy is that seat with no padding?

· Registered
77 Posts
I’m a huge fan of the WTB Silverado model. I think have 3 or 4 of them (one on each of my bikes and a spare) and it is pretty much the only saddle I like to ride. Haven’t had any issues with them in the last 10 years. I think most are titanium rails except the spare.

If the long and narrow profile isn’t your thing, check out the other WTB models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,990 Posts
I'm bigger than you and have great luck with Specialized Body Geometry saddles. They have the right combination of multiple widths (the 155mm fits my hips) and chromoly rails (which are tough). I have them on almost all my bikes.

The only non-Specialized saddle I have is a WTB Rocket on my trail bike. They're similar - available in multiple widths and cromoly rails.

· Registered
Santacruz HT CC XXL
160 Posts
I've used WTB for nearly 30 yrs. 6'-7" (215-270lbs). Most comfortable I've found and never had a failure or problem. I'd say had around 8 +/- over that time frame. Even the sleek light ones held up well.

· Registered
10 Posts
Timely thread. I was just looking at saddles recently for my hard tail bike. I have an old Specialized Rival 143 on it. While it's ok I'm now learning more about sit bone width and realizing a different saddle (as in wider) would probably be better for me.

I'll mention the Brooks C series saddles again. I have a C17 Carved on one of my street bikes. It's heavy due to the rails and looking at it you wouldn't think much of it at all but it really is a great saddle. The rubber bends with you...I wouldn't say springy, but it's not like sitting on a rigid hard piece of plastic either. Very comfy if you take the time to fine-tune the adjustments, which Brooks saddles always need.

In my own recent searches I'm close to pulling the trigger on the WTB Rocket (also mentioned above). A used bike I bought off CL had a worn WTB saddle (not sure which one) which was comfy even though it was worn out. The Rocket comes in wide width, has thick padding, and choice of rails (price points). Right now for me it's between the Rocket and another C17 Carved.

· Registered
429 Posts
I've been running SQ Lab saddles on all of my bikes for a while now. Think they're the 610 model, which is technically a touring saddle, but I don't mind. And I'm heavier than you.

Something that took me too long to figure out, was the right saddle width. Was a huge WTB saddle guy. I'd even demoed a few wide saddles from local shop. But couple years ago I tried a 16cm SQ Lab saddle. What a difference. Finally found something my ass fit on properly. No more irritated hamstring tendon.

· Registered
429 Posts
I'm going to do a SIT bone fitting. Local shop has the gear and I fractured my pelvis about 10+ years ago so I need best fit possible.
Good call. I tried doing the at-home sit bone measurement, but obviously wasn't very exact.

TBH, I never thought much about saddle width, but if you're spending 2-3 hours riding 2-3x week, the wrong size will take its toll.

I'm still dealing with the damage I did do to my hamstring tendon from too many years on the wrong size saddle b/c it was already in bad shape from pulling my hammy a couple of times in high school.

· Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,138 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in. Been a WTB guy since the SST98 days (still have that on the SS!) Other MTBs - various other WTB models. Silverado on the Roadie. Main MTB has been a Chromag saddle for the past year and change. Surprisingly happy with that saddle. It came with the build kit so I gave it a shot with the idea being to swap when I got a chance.... still on it with no complaints.

· change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
I’ve broken so many from different manufacturers. Unfortunately I load the seat with my big load. I always have a back up. I go through 3 seats on my FS a year. I’ve broken saddles from every manufacturer mentioned in this thread except Brooks which I never tried. That said, they’re all good. To the OP, I’d say you got your money’s worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· CEO Product Failure
2,410 Posts
Specialized BG "Power" saddle in a 155mm with chromoly rails. Do not spend the extra $$$ on any saddle with CF rails. The weight savings is not worth the sacrifice in strength and durability.

The Power saddle has shorter rails than most saddles. Shorter rails are less likely to fail as your body weight isn't cantilevering and pressuring the rails' connection points.

*edited to add: the 155mm is specific to my wide arse. The Power saddle is available in a variety of widths.

· CEO Product Failure
2,410 Posts
Which power saddle exactly ? Went to their site and I can’t find a specific BG Power? There’s a crap ton of seat options lol.
I have this model on my mtb and on my gravel bike.

· Registered
Beers. Bikes. Battlestar Galactica.
333 Posts
I've been through a few in the past couple of years.

Fabric Scoop Radius - too narrow and rounded - felt like sitting on a metal pole.

Ergon SM Enduro Comp M/L and SM Sport M/L - shape is good but the padding isn't firm enough. Above a certain weight any pressure distribution benefits of the "orthopedic foam" are lost. You end up sinking into it and the tissue around the sit bones gets rocked around leading to swelling and soreness. Weight limit wasn't an issue in terms of durability for my 110kg. The chromo rails are still perfectly straight and there was no creaking or undue wear. Rode both for at least 6 months each.

Specialized Power Comp with MIMIC 168mm - this might be the one. Much shorter than the SM Enduro (which is short) but it works. Padding is thin, which puts your sit bones right on the shell with all the pressure directly on them. When you first sit down it feels horrible, but it passes after a few minutes. Still get some pain after 2 hours or so, but it's manageable. Most important thing is no tissue irritation or swelling, so the sit bones will toughen up over time and get used to it. It's definitely not for someone who likes to move around a lot. You need to find a comfortable position and stay put. The MIMIC stuff is ok. It's very soft memory foam so it doesn't create pressure, but you might need to tilt the nose down slightly to avoid the "fondling effect".

I'm interested to try an SQLab but all of the trail-specific ones have a 100kg limit. There's the 602 Ergolux Active 2.0 (medium to long distance) and the 602 M-D Active (short to medium distance) which max out at 130kg and 150kg respectively. I'm not sure what kind of weight range the padding is designed for though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.