Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering a new bike for Spring, which is something to do while my broken thumb heals in a cast and prevents me from riding.

Brief background. I ride a Titus ML now. I love how this bike climbs, but I would like to ride down (fast swoopy single track and steep rocky technical) with more confidence. I really like the technical challenge of slower, steeper climbing and descents as well. I don't jump much (log hops or small drops 1-3ft).

I like the weight and angles of both the 575 and the ASR5c. I would never purchase without demo to feel for myself, but until I can I thought I would seek some rider input. If what I'm looking for is bike to help me descend (while not giving up too much on climbs) it seems both these bikes could fit the bill. In my mind, the ASR5c seems "racier" and a bike that is fully capable of fast descents, but maybe a bike that requires a bit more rider influence or skill in choosing lines and guiding the bike down. This compares to my impression that the 575 would take less rider influence, allowing the me to point down and go (with a more comfy couch feel). Would one of these bikes be better suited to helping me rail corners and descend technical with more confidence?

Is this a reasonable difference, or can anyone describe the difference in the way both these bikes descend?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
My buddy had an 08 575 w/a 36 Float and he was able to rip our local AM trails with that bike. He had no problems doing the steeper downhill stunts and he was a crazy climber with that bike. He loved the feel of that bike and would still be on it but he did run into chainstay breakage issues as his riding got stronger and his drops got bigger. Supposedly the newer models are tougher and could handle more of that type of riding but that wasn't an option for him.

As far as the ASR5C goes I've read everything I could find on this bike as I'm looking to replace my Racer-X for endurance racing duties, and the 5C is high on the list. It appears this bike will have pretty stiff suspension and will require more work from the rider when things get rough and start going downhill. It sounds like this thing is a ridiculously good climber and a solid descender for someone who has the skills to handle it.

I also owned a Moto-lite awhile back and while it was a fun bike to own it was not a very capable descender. To me the ML rode like longer legged XC bike.

So based on my 2nd hand experience and e-speculation I would bet the 575 would be better suited for you. You mentioned that you want a bike that gives you confidence going on the downs. There is not doubt in my mind that a 575 w/a bigger fork would do this for you. It sounds like the stiff suspension of the 5C would require more effort and skills to operate. Just based on the geometry I'd think the 5C would be better than the ML for going down but not significantly better. I'd also be concerned about the durability of the 5C being so light and made out of carbon.

·
Not smart enough to shift
454 Posts
I absolutely love the ASR5. I have many miles on one (although I don't own one) and my wife has one that we just finished building her to replace her Intense Tracer. She hasn't lost any downhill speed or stability and is much faster on the climbs. It is really a game changer of a bike.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wow, back in the days when the Titus gang was roaming mtbr planes, this thread could not pass without a minimum of 30 emotional replies. Based on Titus rider reviewes, I used to think I chose the 575 only for the 3 day demo I got from the local dealer. This lasted over a year till I demoed the ML to find out that despite being stiffer than my 2006 575, it roed more like my HT than my Yeti.
Anyways, if you want something very different from your ML the 575 will be the way to go. I am sure though that the 5 is a great bike as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.