Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on a Mavic Reflex tubular rim and a Dugast 45 MM tire for a race only, cross country race with mild technical terrain?

I would like to build a light rear race only wheel and have most of these parts on hand (less the tire). It would be a disc wheel.

I am trying to determine if this would be any lighter than a Stans 355 (or the new Stans race 29er wheel) and a light tire like a Crow or my favorite, the Bonti DXD 1.75 tire. I currently run the DXD tire on a Stans 355 rim and like it already - - the narrow tire works well for me around here.

If TUFO made a 29er tire, I would be there already.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well you are in luck! I happen to work at a shop that built these two wheelsets up for a customer. His intentions were just that of yours, he wanted a super light, fast rolling, XC killing wheelset. I can't remember the exact weights but I remember for a fact that the Dugast wheelset was over a half pound lighter (and rode super sweet) than the Stans setup. I had a chance to take both wheelsets out on his superfly and the Dugast was by far the coolest, smoothest, most supple, and fastest wheelset of the two (and maybe of any wheelset I've ever ridden!)

So if you are dead set that this is going to be a race only wheelset then build up a pair of those Dugasts, you won't regret it!

And for goodness sake please don't use the tufo tape for this particular application.

Good luck!

·
Banned
822 Posts
parkgesicht said:
So if you are dead set that this is going to be a race only wheelset then build up a pair of those Dugasts, you won't regret it!

And for goodness sake please don't use the tufo tape for this particular application.

Good luck!
+10000000.

If you use Tufo tape with a pair of Dugast tires, I will hunt you down and slap you myself.

How wide are Reflex rims? I know a guy with about a dozen NOS Wolber Aspin rims sitting around that might be well suited for this sort of thing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.