Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An experienced rider who is a Clydesdale (over 200lbs) recommended I replace my rear rotor (160mm) with a larger rotor (180?) for more stopping power.

I'd appreciate thoughts from other riders on this. Does it make a big difference? I'm only in my first year of riding and haven't ever noticed any braking issues (I use both front and rear and am pretty good at modulating the brakes).

On the other hand, I recently found myself on about the steepest long downhill I'd ever ridden (with switchbacks so I couldn't just fly) and I was surprised at how hard I was laying on the brakes to stick to what was (for me) a comfortable speed.

So maybe a larger rotor (or rotors) would help in those situations?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SWriverstone said:
An experienced rider who is a Clydesdale (over 200lbs) recommended I replace my rear rotor (160mm) with a larger rotor (180?) for more stopping power.

I'd appreciate thoughts from other riders on this. Does it make a big difference? I'm only in my first year of riding and haven't ever noticed any braking issues (I use both front and rear and am pretty good at modulating the brakes).

On the other hand, I recently found myself on about the steepest long downhill I'd ever ridden (with switchbacks so I couldn't just fly) and I was surprised at how hard I was laying on the brakes to stick to what was (for me) a comfortable speed.

So maybe a larger rotor (or rotors) would help in those situations?

Thanks,
Scott
Put the larger rotor on the front if you are replacing just one.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they're Avid Elixir brakes—the stock brakes on a Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29er...(and one thing I'm wondering is...doesn't a larger rotor necessitate a different caliper mounting bracket?)

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy said:
Put the larger rotor on the front if you are replacing just one.
Right, makes sense, since the front has more stopping power.

Just checked my specs: Avid Elixir R, 185mm front, 160 rear.

Scott

·
Registered
231 Posts
SWriverstone said:

Scott
Seems like you've got an adequate setup as is! Maybe try bleeding your brakes or doing some fine tune adjustments to get them a bit tighter. I had to do alota tweaking on my Hayes Stroker Trail to get just the right feel, and I also have a 180mm/160mm setup. I upgraded my rotors to Alligator Serration rotors,; they work great!

·
Registered
78 Posts
my bike came with 185s front and rear and I upgraded the front to a 203.
I glazed a front rotor is why I went to a 203 in the front and now its go SOOO much breaking in the front I got to be carefull but I dont seem to glaze it anymore.
I wouldnt go more then 185 in the rear the rear feels great with a 185 and I am 265lbs.
Id say 185/185 or 203/185. love the 203/185.
Ron

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
SWriverstone said:

Scott
I had the same setup on my Paragon and no issues with stopping power. Both levers set for one finger stopping. Again, no issues. I'm 250lbs. You should be fine with the 185mm front and 160mm rear. In my experience, the front brake is for stopping power, the rear brake is for control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts