Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm shopping for a frame to go with my fork-a Totem 2-Step. Long story short, I have a Titus SuperMoto with a '07 Totem 2-Step but I've realized the frame's just too short and it's time for a change. I'm looking at frames in the 6-7" travel range with a nod toward versatility. I've looked at the SS frames, but the sizing's kind of strange (great for it's intended purpose though) so that's out. I've narrowed it down to a few choices, one of which is the 6.6.

I realize at full travel (180mm) the Totem will slack the published HA and SA numbers out by at least one degree and raise the bottom bracket a bit, but will this be a deal breaker ride-wise? One plus of the fork is that it has a travel-adjust mode so I could do my climbing in the 135mm travel setting so that may help the bb height and angle woes.

Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Seems like Totem is an overkill for 6.6, if you are planning to do trails. If you want to do FR/DH, then Totem is the right fork, but 6.6 is the wrong frame. Lyrik or Talas is a good fit for 6.6, and Totem for FR/DH bikes. I think you need to figure out if you want a 6" trail bike or 7" FR/DH bike.

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
I have a 170mm marz 66 on my 6.6 with a flush headset and I wouldnt want to go any longer. My BB sits at 14.5 which works for our local rocky technical trails but many would concider it too tall
I had a VAN 36 before the current fork and that felt like it could be longer so feel like I've maxed out the fork length issue for my bike as I ride it.
My 66RC is a NON travel adjust for that climbs well enough and shines on the descent.
An adjustable fork will give you more options but at the long end may be wasted length and weight.

hope this helps

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, good points. What I'm really looking for is a FR style bike that I can run a front derailleur on and get away with pedaling if it comes to it. I have a nice full Saint build kit on the SuperMoto but it has a 135mm rear hub or I'd be looking harder at a Turner Highline. I'd consider a Socom if it had a front derailleur stop. I'm riding 29ers for all my actual trail riding and I have a Canfield F1 that's acutally wearing the Totem right now but will get a Dorado I have if I get another bike put together, but I'd like a bike I can take to the ski hill and use for occasional trail use if I was so inclined.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
You can put a FD on a Socom, but it is more of a light weight racing bike. You should really look at Uzzi VPX, VP Free, 7.7, Demo 7, Highline, etc. First 2 are no longer made, but you can find used ones easily.

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
I'm wondering why you dont seem keen on the slopestyle.
I would have thought that bike would suit your needs pretty well concidering the canefield and the 29'er already in the stable.

Truth be told If I was to buy now I would imagine that it would be the frame I would build up for all my XC?all mountain/ FR needs ( I have the demo 9 for lift assisted riding)

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
Gotta second that. The Intense SS (Slopestyle) genuinely oes seem like the perfect bike for you. Considering you were looking the Highline, (As i was) and thinking on the Socom (the SS is a more FR, less DH version) and you were looking at the 6.6 (Which the SS is a evolution of) the SS is bang on.
I do DH, FR, 4X and lots of jumping on mine, and i love it. 135mm back end (Didn't want the Turners 150 or the 83mm BB!) Totem Solo Air on the front, it rips through the rough stuff, jumps brilliantly but also pedals when i need it. Its no Mountain Goat, but its very capable for what it is.

I can't recommend mine enough. Its the best bike i've ridden to date for what i do. Any questions PM me if need be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.