Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see if anyone has any experance or thoughts on running a 120 travel 34 m fox fork on a tallboy carbon? Rocky terain of New England. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just changed my revelation out for a 120 Pike and the difference is huge! I am close to 200 with gear and the extra stiffness is very apparent. So IMO any upgrade to a stiffer fork is a plus. Also FYI I did try a 130mm on my tb and I didn't like it for climbing. Front end wandered more than I liked.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I put a factory talas 140/110 on my tallboy. Mostly use the 110 but when its all down and rocky from here I switch it....very sweet

I weigh 160

·
Registered
945 Posts
I put a Fox 140 on my TB2 and overall didn't like the longer fork length, raked the bike out too much on climbs. I lowered the fork to 130 and it was better. I think 120mm is the ideal for that bike. The larger fork legs does improve steering and control. The good is you can change the fork travel if you want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree...140 is too tall except for going down the steeps. It climbs best at 100mm but IMO the downhill suffers (I'm not good enough). 110 or 120 is a good all around length. Or just get a talas or dual air.

·
Registered
314 Posts
guys looks like 120 is the sweet spot for the Tallboy, however I ordered a 140 mm Float 34, can we use a zero stack headset to lower the stack height but keeping the 140 mm, what will fit a tapered fork? I did a bit of research and FSA Orbit E 1.5R might do the job but can't find it anywhere... any other option out there? thanks...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have run 10mm increments between 100-140 on the tallboy 2; and 120 and 130 where the best by far and the choice between the two comes down to riding style. I preferred 120 FWIW. I thought it was the perfect combo between descending and climbing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've got a Fox 34 running at 130mm on my XL TB2. I like it but the front end gets a tad light on super steep uphill sections. I like the 130mm for the steeper DH stuff I've been working lately.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just changed my revelation out for a 120 Pike and the difference is huge! I am close to 200 with gear and the extra stiffness is very apparent. So IMO any upgrade to a stiffer fork is a plus. Also FYI I did try a 130mm on my tb and I didn't like it for climbing. Front end wandered more than I liked.
+1 for the pike. Had a 120 tower pro that performed well, but the pike is another level. 120 seems to be just right for this frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts