Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a few bikes. The Trek Fuel EX 6, a Rush 6, and an Ibex Asta 7. My local dealer has the Trek and the Rush, but I don't know anything really about the Cannondale. I've been out of the scene for quite some time now, and I need some help deciding. Opinions would be great. I'm gonna be test riding some bikes tomorrow. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm no Rock Shox expert, but I believe that the Recon on the Rush is a step up from the Tora on the Fuel.

The travel of both bikes is about the same, but the head angles are different. The Rush is 69 degrees which is more on the trail/enduro side and the Trek is 71 degrees which is more on the XC side. In others words the Trek will have tighter steering, but seem more twitchy. The Rush will have slightly slower steering but seem more stable.

Both the Rush 400 (this year's 6) and the Fuel 6 have gotten some good press and reviews over the last year, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Ibex I know little about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an upgraded Rush 400 and found it to be very capable. :thumbsup:

It's the same frame as the non-carbon higher-end models so it's great for upgrading as your skills/budget dictate.

That being said, ride both bikes and buy the one that fits/feels the best. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Truely you can't go wrong with either the Trek or the Cannondale. They are both great bikes. I just picked up a Cannondale Rush 400 and realy like it. Cannondale puts alot of engineering into their frames. Mine came with a Rock Shox Recon which seams to work great. Are you getting the lefty or a standard fork? I do not no much about the lefty but it scares me. Both front and rear shocks are air adjustible which is a nice feature. Go by what feels right. Once your sitting onYOUR new bike youl know it! Its also nice to build a relationship with your LBS.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Aren't Ibex only sold online? If yes, stay away from them. You'll have a much better biking experience by buying from a bike shop that knows how to assemble a bike, fit you on a bike, repair a bike, adjust a bike, deal with warranty and help you find the right bike... It's the reason why Cannondale, Trek and most reputable bike companies don't allow their bikes to be sold through the internet.Paying a little more to buy a bike from the shop is worth it. It's like if you were to buy a car from a company that only sells their cars online: a big NO.

As for the Trek vs. the Rush... As MAC4Runner said, try to test both and see which you like best and fits you best.

Personally, I find Cannondale manufacturing and build quality to be higher than Trek's, better welds, better paint, better finish and they are usually stronger and more durable.

I also prefer a single pivot suspension, it requires less maintenance and before someone tells me a linkage bike works better than a single pivot, look at the linkage. A Trek Fuel has only one pivot between the main pivot and the rear wheel, that means it's effectively a single pivot too but with more bearings/bushings to become slack or wear out...

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
jfatkd said:
Are you getting the lefty or a standard fork? I do not no much about the lefty but it scares me.
If your budget permits it, get a Lefty. It's way ahead of anything else. It might look scary but it just works better. Most people who try it can't go back to a regular fork since they all feel flexy after you try a Lefty.

I don't get why people are scared of a Lefty, a bolted on wheel is much more solid than a wimpy quick-release and when you think about it, look at the wheels on a car, they are bolted and are hold by one side only...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Get a Reba shock

Dan Gerous said:
If your budget permits it, get a Lefty. It's way ahead of anything else. It might look scary but it just works better. Most people who try it can't go back to a regular fork since they all feel flexy after you try a Lefty.

I don't get why people are scared of a Lefty, a bolted on wheel is much more solid than a wimpy quick-release and when you think about it, look at the wheels on a car, they are bolted and are hold by one side only...
Get some reducers or headset that has reducers like cane creek and get a reba fork.

Your rush will come to live.....

And you got more options with a normal fork that the lefty.

I was a cannondale monkey from 1997-2003 and I hated the limitations of stems, forks, etc. Now I am a Turner Monkey and never looked back. I have to admit I have looked at the rush a couple of times and been close to buying one.

I have an 2006 Flux and a 2005 HL 5 spot both great bikes.

I had a cannondale raven with a lefty when they were cool, and swap the lefty for a marzocchi bomber Z2 and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about lefties now but they feel just like the headshocks. I hate that needle bering feel.

Instead of the lefty I would get a reba, get your RP3 pushed and a nice set of custom wheels from Mike Garcia and you have a killer Machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.