Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up my first FS ride and a fellow rider in my area has an '09 Stumpjumper FSR Comp that he is looking to unload at what seems like a really good price. He got the bike in August, rode it a few times throughout the summer and is moving on to a Blur LT so this is up for grabs.

The Stumpjumper was on my short list anyways, and while I was thinking of buying new this spring, his asking price is right and a lot less than I had initially planned on spending (which works out well, considering that my wife and I just found out we're expecting our first). The bike is annodized black, stock, with the exception of an upgraded rear shock (from the Triad to a new 2010 rp23 with boost valve).

I was wondering what the consensus was on the '09 vs the '10 model (and components). Given that he is asking a bit less than I was planning on spending, I would have a little money banked for some additional upgrades. That being said, what would be the next upgrade you would make?

Finally, what do you think is a fair price for this bike? I am planning a test ride next week, so I will be able to see what condition it is in, but from the pictures and his description, it seems like it is in great condition!

Let me know what you think?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well there are a few things that I need to help answer your questions better. First what SJ were you planning on buying (Comp, Elite, Pro, etc.). The components are almost Identical (with the exception of tires) between the comps, so really it depends where you ride. If it's mostly xc then you should be fine with the used bike, but if you're getting into extended rock gardens and all-mountain type stuff the new one would defiantly be more plush. You get a little less than an inch more with the new frame so is the $$ you save by buying the 09 worth 20 less mm of suspension travel and a brand new unused bike? Oh and I've seen a barley used 2010 SJ Comp sell for $1200, but he wanted $1400. How much is he asking for the 09.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...so I'd be looking at a Comp if I were looking at the '10

I primarily ride XC, but having the option to take on some drops or some more technical stuff would be appreciated. That being said, I'm riding my local trails now on a HT so the FS would be a step up for me regardless...

He is asking $1100...

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
The '09 model has 120mm of travel while the '10 has 140mm - that's a major difference that you definitely don't want to overlook. Your buddy is moving to a Blur LT which also has 140mm of travel. Obviously it isn't all about travel, geometry and component spec plays a huge role as well.

Nonetheless, some of the 09s came with the Talas, so no reason you couldn't stick a 140mm fork on there if the 120 isn't cuttin' it. Also, the upgrade to the RP23 is huge. I haven't ridden the newer Triads, but my '05 sucked and the RP23 was a major upgrade. I can't imagine the Triads have improved much, meanwhile the RP23 has remained the industry flagship in terms of air shocks for years.

I would probably go for the 09. Seems like a solid deal.

My $.02, YMMV

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the manual online for the '09 and it says that the max the frame will take is a 120 mm fork...

Brian

Berkley said:
The '09 model has 120mm of travel while the '10 has 140mm - that's a major difference that you definitely don't want to overlook. Your buddy is moving to a Blur LT which also has 140mm of travel. Obviously it isn't all about travel, geometry and component spec plays a huge role as well.

Nonetheless, some of the 09s came with the Talas, so no reason you couldn't stick a 140mm fork on there if the 120 isn't cuttin' it. Also, the upgrade to the RP23 is huge. I haven't ridden the newer Triads, but my '05 sucked and the RP23 was a major upgrade. I can't imagine the Triads have improved much, meanwhile the RP23 has remained the industry flagship in terms of air shocks for years.

I would probably go for the 09. Seems like a solid deal.

My $.02, YMMV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.