Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a FOES FXR and am stuck on what wheelset to get. It will have the Curnett air shock and a Fox Float 36 RC2 fork. I have narrowed down to Mavic ST 20 or SX. I am 180 lbs. and the bike will be setup for aggressive trail / AM riding. No FR / hucking, but some med. jump / drops when encountered. I will be running Kenda 2.35 Nevegal UST tires. Please provide thoughts / comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd go with SX

I labored for a long time with the same decision. I wanted the weight savings of the ST, and still at times (climbing) wish I had gotten them (I got the SX's), but in the end, durability and longevity and the fact I run 2.5 tires pushed me away from the ST's. I'm 180 lbs without gear, ride a Moment, and at the biggest, 6' flat to flat. I do live in Phoenix, extremely rocky and I ride aggressively, so I suffer on the climbs with heavier wheels and tires but I can bash through anything with confidence. Not that it's important, but they look sick too. Nevegal 2.35's are big tires, probably would work better with the wider SX rim as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. I have decided to go with the ST 20s. Mavic states they are good for 2.3 tires and I like the fact they are lighter for climbing. Just about 2/3 lbs. difference for the set and as far as I can tell it is mostly the rims. I have been running Mavic SLs on my current bike and they have held up to the riding I do. I will probably hit a little bigger stuff with the STs, but they should be able to handle it. If I was building a FR bike it would not be a question of going with the SX.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.