Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gnarbar
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me: 220lb clunker, like to rip fast/technical DH / singletrack. Speccing a bike for light freeride duty. Max air is 5 foot to tranny and nothing huge or super gnarly.

Was thinking of going with the 819's for strength and weight saving over the 823's. Bike needs to be able do some uphill (25% of riding) but be able to pay back with sweet solid DH. Trails here are hard packed, dry and rocky.

Will the 819's handle my style of ripping ?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Freeride777 said:
Me: 220lb clunker, like to rip fast/technical DH / singletrack. Speccing a bike for light freeride duty. Max air is 5 foot to tranny and nothing huge or super gnarly.

Was thinking of going with the 819's for strength and weight saving over the 823's. Bike needs to be able do some uphill (25% of riding) but be able to pay back with sweet solid DH. Trails here are hard packed, dry and rocky.

Will the 819's handle my style of ripping ?
At your weight and riding style the 823 is the better choice. You are likely to burp/roll tires on the narrower 819.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
comptiger5000 said:
The only CORRECT way to do tubeless (that will stand up to pounding) is UST.
I'm going to agree that the safest way is UST. A burp or bead blow out at the wrong time is a problem as in the pic bellow I got from the norcal forum. Looks like bead blow off with a Stans cloud. The tire is totally off the rim in the 2nd pic. (thanks Tracy!! I hope you didnt DNF)

Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Mountain bike

Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Mountain bike Spoke

·
Gnarbar
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cable0guy said:
Look into Mavic 721s. You can convert it to tubeless if you need to. 823's are kind of heavy for light FR. You can also try out DT Swiss 5.1Ds.
I ran 6.1's and they do DT (Dent Tremendously). :nono:

Running 729's right now and they're solid. Just wanted a clean UST setup light and strong.

Hmmmm ? 823's are like 20 gms less than my 729's ? Then there is the huge gain by not having toobs.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Freeride777 said:
I ran 6.1's and they do DT (Dent Tremendously). :nono:

Running 729's right now and they're solid. Just wanted a clean UST setup light and strong.

Hmmmm ? 823's are like 20 gms less than my 729's ? Then there is the huge gain by not having toobs.
If you run UST tires, then you dont save a huge amount. Typically, UST tires are about 150 gr more than their tubed counterpart. Now, if you run tubeless ready tires like myself, then you save decent weight.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Love the look on his face

He is going over the bars into the rocks and he has a 'yahoo' look on his face. I love it. I run 819 rims with 2.3 Maxxis High Roller and have never rolled or burped my tires. You get into the 2.5 tires and it might be an issue. I have no clue why anyone would not run UST tires except lack of tire choice. You just throw them on, put some Stan's in, and forget about flats.

Jaybo

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I would run the 823 rims, great rims, am on my 3rd set..... In defence of the 6.1's, this was more or less the first batch that had issues, know peeps having a good run with 6.1's....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you want to stick with Mavic, the 823s are the right call. I'm your size and used 823s as my trail rims a few years back, and run 729s on my DH bike (favorite rims of all time). I didn't like the narrow profile of the 823s, especially in hard cornering. If you're not running tubeless, the DT 5.1s are awesome rims for guys our size and the riding you described; I've been running them on my trail/FR bike for the last year and a half. Everybody I know who runs them loves them. They are stiff and wide and lightish and TOUGH (unlike the 6.1s which dent when you look at them crossways).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.