Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Looking to Start Racing
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hope that this thread like most of my others doesn't get ignored (I feel so let down:cryin: )

Well as some of you know, I converted my 05 Trek 4300 into the glorious SS it now is. I love it. But as awesome as it is, I feel a strong compelling force towards the Trek "69er". Now I haven't heard if it's a for sure going to be a production for this fall, but I sure hope it is. And I am even more hoping that it will have a pink option, as I really want to see if I can pull off a pink bike. I like rare things, so a 29/26 PINK bike, isn't exactly common place. My buddies will all laugh at me, but as they eat dust, I'll be the one laughing.:thumbsup:

Ok, to the actual point of this thread. What are peoples thoughts on this peticular frame idea? Has anyone found any info on it?

Now, I have seen two different dropouts for this bike. One was the sliding dropouts like Kona uses, and another was a chain-tug version. Personally one of the most appealing aspects was the Sliding dropouts. For my style of riding, a tensor works ok, but I would like to eliminate it without the use of the Eno hub. Also I like the idea of having the bigger front wheel, while still having the normal rear wheel. Every review I read about 29ers seems to point toward the front having 90% of the benefit of the 29er design.

Comments are very much requested. From "pinks for girls" to "The 69er is a fad", and hopefully alot about "great idea, good design, deffinetly go for it" Any comments please. My posts seem to have like 100+ viewing, and 2 postings.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm also interested in this bike. It's not a "new" idea but the fact the Trek is going to do this is good for the 29er movement.

As for the front wheel being 90% important to the 29" advantage, heck, the front wheel is 90% important to any mountain bike, IMO. If Travis Brown is into this bike then I have to believe that there is some merit to it regardless of what dropouts are used.

What I am REALLY interested in is the pricepoint. What will this bike cost us with the cool Maverick fork????

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I just converted my Trek 4300 too, and I have also been looking at this new Trek option. I think it is a great design. I am saving my pennies now, just in case.

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
A buddy of mine is old friends with Travis Brown and spoke with him at Iron Horse this year. Travis raves about his 69'er 10x more intensely off-the-record than he does in interviews, even. I'm inclined to open my ears wide when old schoolers like Travis are talking!

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
TREK 4 Life said:
Now, I have seen two different dropouts for this bike. One was the sliding dropouts like Kona uses, and another was a chain-tug version. Personally one of the most appealing aspects was the Sliding dropouts. For my style of riding, a tensor works ok, but I would like to eliminate it without the use of the Eno hub. Also I like the idea of having the bigger front wheel, while still having the normal rear wheel. Every review I read about 29ers seems to point toward the front having 90% of the benefit of the 29er design.
Comments are very much requested. From "pinks for girls" to "The 69er is a fad", and hopefully alot about "great idea, good design, deffinetly go for it" Any comments please. My posts seem to have like 100+ viewing, and 2 postings.
here's a couple shots of Travis bike from this year's Sea Otter:

Like VeloKid said, while speaking with Travis he was very impressed with the bike and loved the Mav. fork as well. It didn't let him down on race day either ;)

hw

PS - pink is SO '05. It's time to mix it up if you're going to wow this crowd, T4L. Metallic purple to metallic charcoal fade? Bass boat blue? c'mon now....get creative. Or send it to Spectrum and tell them to surprise you. :eek:

·
Looking to Start Racing
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, OMG, do I ever love that bike. I'm abit skeptical of the fork, but if Travis likes it, then golden. But do you think you could use say a Reba 29er?

As for the colour, well....I still would like it in pink....you know how it is when you get your mind set.

And I love those drop-outs. They are great. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. If anyone else has anything to add, please do.

Also thanks for the pics, I saw a small pick of that bike and didn't know if it came before or after the pink one. So thanks again.

·
Looking to Start Racing
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I hope it comes in a Frame Only "option". I want to build it myself.

So far Travis has been using a ZR 9000 frame. But Trek recently made a OCLV version for a "special" trek fan. So it is possible to make it OCLV. But I would want it in the Aluminum.:thumbsup:

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Nice looking bike...

I'd like to see it with a rigid fork. I think that would make a much more balanced bike. Seems to me like a 29 up front with a suspended fork is a mismatch for the rear end.

But hey, what do I know.

Awesome paint job.

Mike

·
Looking to Start Racing
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just not cut out for rigid. But hey, all the power to those who do.

So I am kinda glad it has a sus fork, but I still say I would prefer a Reba 29er.:thumbsup:

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
Ok, here's some random comments:

First of all, I want that bike. Seems like a perfect compromise for those of us not-so-tall types (I'm 5'9'') who feel a little compromised when climbing aboard massive 29'' wheels.

Second, didn't Trek sorta blatantly copy the Carver "96'er" idea (see http://carverbikes.com)? Or was Trek the first to the game? I don't really care about the 'idea' copying (in fact, more companies should experiment with this!), but assuming Trek was second to this concept after Carver (which could be wrong), copying the name (well, ok, reversing it) makes me feel a little bad for the underdog.

Third and finally, anybody ridden the Carver version? MBA did a write up a few months ago, if I recall correctly they were very enthused. Trek's version is definitely better-looking... holy cow, it's hot.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
TREK 4 Life said:
Wow, OMG, do I ever love that bike. I'm abit skeptical of the fork, but if Travis likes it, then golden. But do you think you could use say a Reba 29er?

As for the colour, well....I still would like it in pink....you know how it is when you get your mind set.

And I love those drop-outs. They are great. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. If anyone else has anything to add, please do.

Also thanks for the pics, I saw a small pick of that bike and didn't know if it came before or after the pink one. So thanks again.
TREK 4 Life,
I think it is a great idea and I think Trek took their time making a good ride out of it. Yes, the dropouts look very functional. Pink's cool, go with it if that is what you want. Spectrum does do amazing work (in case you get it and have to paint it as pink may not be an option). Also, I'd truly consider the fork in the pic over the reba, it truly is a much better fork IMHO. Either way, have fun with it. :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
96ers

If you are dubious of the difference between 26" & 29" wheels, a 96er can be a revelation. I have a Ti frame with a Pace fork that I had been riding with 26" wheels front and rear. It occured to me that I could take the front wheel off of my KM and put it on the front end of the Ti bike and still have reasonable angles. Being Ti and CF, it was already a smooth bike for a full rigid set up. But with the 29" front wheel though, you can distinctly feel a delay as the front end glides over rough terrain that the rear end is bumped around by.

It is definitely a step up from a rigid 26" front end, and while not as smooth as a suspended 26" front end, I personally think the weight savings, steering precision and climbing efficiency give it an edge there too.

I think the Maverick fork on the front end is kind of overkill for XC racing unless you are dead-set against rigid forks. The Trek 69er with a Pace 29er fork would probably be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Back in the day (70's) I rode off road motorcycles. Tons of bikes had a 21" front rim and 18" back. It's not a new idea, at any rate. I sure wish I had a time machine so I could take a nice MTB back and show it to the guys I raced with. It would have blown their minds.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
29/26 is not a new idea

Barkdog said:
...didn't Trek sorta blatantly copy the Carver "96'er" idea (see http://carverbikes.com)? Or was Trek the first to the game? ... holy cow, it's hot.
I was riding 29-front/26-rear in '03 (BTW I didn't originate the idea back then, either). Although I have since reverted back to 26/26, the 29/26 combo rode well.

--Sparty

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Why the switch back?

Sparticus said:
I was riding 29-front/26-rear in '03 (BTW I didn't originate the idea back then, either). Although I have since reverted back to 26/26, the 29/26 combo rode well.

--Sparty
Was the geometry of the bike not set up for it?

What's the deal?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
Miker J said:
Was the geometry of the bike not set up for it?

What's the deal?
I rode the 29/26 for a month or two that summer with a rigid (KM) fork. The geometry was fine with the rigid fork but wouldn't have been right with a sus fork. I decided I wanted to go back to my 5" Fox Vanilla fork so that forced me back to the little wheel up front.

Then my buddy Justin folded his front wheel on his 29er so I sold him my 29er wheel... there went my option to switch back to the big wheel.

Just about the only disadvantage I can think of for running two different size wheels on the same bike is having to carry two different sized spare tubes. And even then, I s'pose a guy could just carry a 29er tube and not worry about using it with a 26" tire... or could he?

--Sparty

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was curious at first, and now I'm fixated on converting my 26" wheel frame, with a 29" wheel up front. I've been reading about how the editor at Dirt Rag and John Constanello have been tweaking with the idea. The only problem is, the more I want a rigid/disc setup in the front, more I want Horz dropouts/ Discs in the back. Thats a lot of work to a 96' (no pun intended) frame with verts and rim brakes. I might just need a new bike...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Or you could runs UST rims and tires with Stans and forget about carrying tubes. If you only want to carry one size tube, carry a 26" tube. It will stretch to fit a 29" wheel whereas a 29" tube is too big for a 26" wheel and may wrinkle or fold and cause a flat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.