Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I just sold my bike (Giant Trance 2 2017) to get something more aggressive, I'm in love on SC bikes and the Hightower ticks all the boxes for me:

-Aggresive Geo, I want something that I can use for rowdy tracks, we have a lot of rocks on my local trails but also something that I can pedal in long rides.
-29er
-Size L seems spot on for me (I'm 5,10) last bike was M and it felt a bit small.
-Alu frame

What do you think about the R build, is it worth?

There are also other good options that I can get like the Commencal 2019 am 29 brushed, Transition Sentinel and the Devinci Troy GX Eagle LTD (this one is for sale since it's a demo bike but I'm kinda scared with carbon).

I plan to keep this bike long term, maybe getting some upgrades later on...

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
The S build is always the sweet spot for performance and price IMO. S build has the better fork, shock, Eagle 10-50, better brakes (but still SRAM...), and nice DT hubs. Definitely $700 worth of upgrades there.

Another option would be to buy the frame and then find used parts that are fairly new take offs. It takes some time and effort, but you can save 50% or more. You also get exactly what you want vs stock build with a mix of things you may like and not like.

The R build isn't bad, its just at that price the S build is worth it. However keep in mind..."The enemy of good is better".

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The "R" build is fine but the "S" comes with a dropper post (Rockshox) while the "R" does not. That, alone, is about $300 of the difference in price. For a bike like the Hightower, I would not want to be without a dropper post.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So to me it depends on how much you will upgrade the bike over time. Personally I would be replacing the dropper, wheels and brakes. You could pocket the $700 and apply that to those upgrades. I would replace the fork and shock after a year or two instead of servicing them. I prefer Fox over Rockshox for suspension. So to me it depends on if you will be happier with the components on the S build. If you aren't, get the cheaper model and upgrade those parts over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I know the S build is a way better option but where I live the difference is like paying 4k for the R build and 5k for the S build, It's quite a big jump.

I just want to be sure if at least the R build is a solid option, considering the shock it's a FOX Float Performance DPS and also considering I can get for the same price or maybe cheaper options like:
-Stumpjumper 29er EVO al (this one is around the same as the R build)
-Commencal META AM 29 ESSENTIAL 2020 (this one is cheaper)

·
Registered
158 Posts
The R build is solid, my girlfriend has an R build Strega. The Yari fork is great and the NX drivetrain has held up for the past nine months we have had it. I think the fork is probably the biggest advantage over the D build, down the road the Yari can be upgraded with the higher end damper the Lyrik uses if you feel it is necessary. As for the rear shock, I wouldn't be worried about the DPS. Its not like the Rockshox that comes on the higher build is fantastic anyway (at least in my experience, it made my Nomad feel like the rear end was made of wood).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, thanks for the input!, that makes me feel more confident about the bike, now I will go to my local dealer and see how much I need to wait for it... and maybe I will pull the trigger!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.