Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to figure out what wheelset to throw on my 29er for this summer and I thought that I would come to the experts to try and figure out what the best weight-for-the-money ratio was for something under $900.

My local shop is a Trek dealer and I can get a 29er Race X Lite wheelset for around $900:

-1692g
-Tubeless ready
-center-lock hubs
-Scandium rims

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Anything else out there that I should be looking at?...I've got no problem building up a set either.

thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you would be willing to get some ZTR wheels their race wheelset is only $950 and much lighter, or you could go with a 355 for around $500 and depending on how you spec it would be about the same weight as the RXL. Good Luck.

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
One thing you must keep in mind with the Bontrager RXL wheelset. The advertised weight = 1692. If you want to run the set up Tubeless you must add the TLR Rim Stip and valves which brings the weight of the wheelset up too very close to 1800g at least.

Just weighed a set of XXX 29'er Wheels and with strips and valves they weighed 1798g on the shop scales! :eekster: :skep:

Do not get me wrong. Bontrager makes some good products and has a great warranty but a "race" wheelset can be had for much less and weigh less.

I will be giving the 2010 American Classic 29'er Tubeless Wheelset a try in a month or so. The rim width is wider and stronger then before. 1600g for the set. They retail for 780.

·
Registered
366 Posts
As said earlier, the Race x lites are not that light when you add in the strips and valves. Plus mine were already a little over claimed weight. If it is a race only set I would go stans rims and whatever hub you prefer. if you go to their site there is a weight calculator that is pretty accurate so you can build you own set however you like then you can either order it through them or have you shop get it and they should still be able to give you the price on the stans site.

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
I'm building the new Crest 29er rim w/American Classic hubs sometime in the next couple of weeks. Getting a good deal on parts, it's going to cost around $500. Not sure what they'll weigh, but should be a good deal less than the Arch/HopeII wheels I've got now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.