Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you folks think about the On One Mary bars. Currently I'm using the Race Face Deus riser bar.

Are there any clear benfits or are they just cool looking?

I'm riding a Surly 1x1 - rigid and primarly use it for XC mountain biking.

If you have photos of the bar on your bike please post them. I would like to check out your setup.

Thanks,
Mr. A

·
Registered
245 Posts
Love 'em

I'm buying a second pair for the Surly Big Dummy I don't even own yet.
They are not as good as bar-ends for really spirited out-of-the-seat climbing but I got hooked on a vine at 35mph once and did a "Superman" (bike stops... you don't) so I don't ride bar-ends offroad anymore anyway. It's also harder to position some lights etc.
The angle just feels so natural and comfortable.

Attachments

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
jesusburger, would you mind explaining a bit about your grips? I see where the Cane Creek lock-on grips start end end, but it seems that you've got a separate grip piece between the lock-on grip and the brake levers - what are those? Are they non-lock-on grip sections that you slipped on there? How does the grip locking clamp feel when your hand grips that position - is there a 'ridge' of sorts under your hands when you hold that section?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
IMO, no mountain bike should be without Mary, just as no commuter bike should be without a Midge or Mungo. Marys are nice and wide, offer a great wrist position, and are well made and relatively cheap. Hell, Haro built a whole bike around them!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Grips

Yeah, you guys are on to it.
The levers are set up for one finger braking and I filled in the gap with a piece of normal grip (hairsprayed) as I found my hand resting there sometimes. It ends up the same diameter as the lock-on, and you can feel the metal band, but it's better than not having it.

·
DOD Member
352 Posts
Switched to Mary bars on my SS for the last two rides. I think it is a great position providing great leverage when in 2nd gear (standing). More natural position on the wrists for long days, strong position on downhill,,,,can't think of a negative.

I ride Mungo on my road fixie too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.