Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a fork for my santa cruz 5010. i thought i had decided on the revelation (seemed like the best for the money) but im not so sure any more. as a bigger guy at 210 lbs i am a bit concerned with the 32mm. this bike will be used to go up and down, mostly trail riding, nothing crazy.
id like to keep the cost under 750 and somewhere in or around 140mm of travel
i have been considering the revelation, pike (shortened), xf sweep, and fox ctd 34. am i missing anything and what would best suit me with out over shooting my needs. if i can get the fork around $500 then i would be pretty happy with that!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a Fox Float 34 27.5, brand new never ridden that I just took off a new bike. I'd sell it to you for $750. I bought a Pike, just setting it up so I can't really tell you the difference. From what I have read the X-Fusion out of the box rides really nice and a price you can't beat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've heard great things about X-fusion and Pike. Fox not so much. I have a Pike on the way as well and will let you know how it is once I get a few miles in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is the first time I have had a Rockshox, always have had Fox. I'll see how it goes. Nothing bad to say about Fox forks, they are pretty awesome, but seems they require a little more maintenance to keep them going, from what I hear the Pike is set it and go. Hope I made the right choice.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
OP at your size I'd go shortened Pike, Fox 34 or Bos Deville. Never owned XF so can't comment. Deville would be first choice due to bigger stanchions and 20mm thru axle and amazing controlled damping 14' 34s are a big improvement on the 13's but Pike would be choice #2.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Was on a Revelation last season, now I'm on a XF Sweep. I'm 165-175lbs geared up. I personally never noticed much flex in the Rev (though I had in the 140mm Fox 32s). I made the change when I put an XF Vector in the rear for more aggressive descending and wanted to be sure the front would be up to the task. So far the XF has been great to me, tracks well and feels good. Even there there's really no external compression damping adjustment, it's supple over the small bumps without diving, something I had a little trouble with on the Rev.

Personally, I would really go with the Sweep. Stiffer than the Rev (and only ~30g heavier, or at least compared to my 150mm Rev), much cheaper than the Pike, and better-feeling than the CTD Fox 34. From what I've read of people claiming to have ridden the Sweep and Pike, the damping performance of the two is extremely close, with the Pike possibly slightly stiffer.

Another note about the XF forks, they're all internally travel-adjustable, if you ever want to change it or put the fork on another bike. I know the current-gen Solo Air Revelations are not. I don't know whether it's the same with the Pike or current Fox forks.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Another X-Fusion sweep owner here. I chose this fork over Fox due to concerns about the CTD performance, and over the Pike due to cost.

In the end, I think I made the best choice. This fork is stiff, supple and simple. The dampening feels great, and the support from X Fusion is awesome.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have been disappointed with the Fox air forks I have had the last few years. I have a 36 van from 2009 which has been kicking @$$ up to this point though. I tried to replace it with a 36 float R a few years back...not even close to the van so I lived with the weight penalty of the coil. The 32 Talas terralogic on my hardtail has been less than stelar as well.

Seems like Sweep and Pike are the best options these days. I think Fox peaked 4 or 5 years ago and since then they have over-engineered their way out of the top spot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I too went with the XFusion Sweep after my experience with a Slant on my Chromag Samurai build. The Sweep is matched to a CCDBA on my Banshee Spitfire and it rides great. It's lightweight, cheap and the damping is very good despite not being externally adjustable. As you may have read elsewhere, you can get the lockout functionality reshimmed from the factory to serve as a 2-function compression adjustment, but I haven't done that yet. In super gnarly terrain I sometimes wonder if I should have spent a bit more for the Metric, but in nearly every situation the Sweep has been outstanding. It's a bit sticky from the factory until you break it in a bit, but it definitely outperforms my old Fox 36 and the Lyrik RC2DH.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My current bike came with the sweep, after riding it for the past 6 weeks, I would seriously consider buying one for any other bike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a brand new 2014 Fox Talas 160 Talas (travel adjust from 160 to 130) with headset and stem that is listed for $449. If you are looking for something more expensive, I would look for a Pike 150mm on Ebay.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Have any of you tried or considered the SR Suntour forks for AM/Trail use?

I have not yet owned their newer stuff but have seen it on associates' bikes because their US office is near me. The impression I have from an owner is these can be tuned very well and get you a stiff 34 mm fork at a good price. Some feedback would be nice.

The 5010 is in my list of frames to consider but I'm only 150 lbs so may not need the larger diameter stanchions many want.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The second- and third-hand stuff I've heard is that the Suntour stuff has a good stiff chassis but that the damping is rather lacking. It's hearsay, but it's something I've heard consistently about the Auron and Durolux.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The second- and third-hand stuff I've heard is that the Suntour stuff has a good stiff chassis but that the damping is rather lacking. It's hearsay, but it's something I've heard consistently about the Auron and Durolux.
Only one review here that might be considered negative. Factor the price and it's hard to ignore. Diminishing returns as you spend can happen a lot so I can't help but wonder if that's going on with the forks.

Review: The Suntour Auron 27.5? Enduro Suspension Fork
Shredding on the SR Suntour Auron on Mag 7 in Moab, Utah | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog
SR Suntour Auron - First Ride - Pinkbike
Reviewed: Forks | BIKE Magazine
SR Suntour Auron RC2 suspension fork review - BikeRadar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUIK0UccYl8

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi All,

About the Auron. The reviews of the fork have been good thus far. We have changed the damper cartridge (RC2) on the Auron since these reviews and added a more sensitve negative coil spring for better small bump performance. It's a great fork and will have a "little brother" coming in the next few months in a Aion.

As for the Durolux. Velonews.com just did a write up on the fork. It was good, honest and not sugar coated.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
784 Posts
Very interesting.Thanks bitflogger and Nick for taking the time to educate me. I had read the BikeRadar review, which was partly responsible for my opinion, but not the others.

The new damper cartridge and negative spring sound interesting. And major props for communicating directly on MTBR. It helps show Suntour is serious about the high end market.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Bikeradar review is baffling......I honestly don't know if the reviewer even took the fork out of the box because the things he is "addressing" were from forks back in 2011 such as the Q-loc for example. The Qloc2 works with any hub and is wicked fast not to mention easy to use once you wrap your head around it. Anyway it's always difficult for us to get a true Apples to Apples comparison with our forks as there is little to compare them to at the prices that we offer and sometimes I think reviewers have a difficult time with this.

We lightened the diameter of the compression spring to give it a little more range at the low end and the negative spring that is currently shipping made a world of difference in the small bump stuff. We did a similar change to the RUX as well.

Always happy to give a shout when needed.

Cheers, Nick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts