Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
thesacrifice said:
whats the best way to put these on? How high on the knee does the knee part go? How do the top straps work? Criss cross around the back?
I center the knee pad on my knee then criss cross the two straps and then strap the three lower straps. The shin guard bottom should rest on the top of the front of your ankle, this will also keep the pads from ever falling down. The length of the shin guard part is important for a good fit, the shin guards come in medium, large and X-large.
Erik,
Balle Racing
www.balleracing.com

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've got the Roach FR pads. I'm 6' with skinny legs so I got the medium size pads. I tried a large pair too and the straps were way too long. Even with the mediums, the straps could stand to be a little shorter and I'll have to shorten them somehow when they stretch out. The guys at RaceFace said the pad length doesn't change that much between the different sizes so I'd get what you think will fit around you legs the best--not the length. And yes, the top straps criss-cross just above the knee. I like the pads.

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
Ya ive got the rally dh leg guards.i probably would have gotten the fr but i hated getting pedal scrapes and cuts on the back of my legs so i got the total rap around protection.

·
always learning
539 Posts
I also just got a pair of FR's. I was disappointed at first to find that the lowest strap is too short. It attaches to the elastic rather that reaching the other side of the velcro. Is this okay? I figure that it will stretch out and fit fine. The most important straps (top X & top of calf) fit fine so I guess it's okay.
Should I try to stretch out the bottom strap or will they stretch out naturally?
Also, how long did it take for you guys to break in your FR's? I'll be using them for DH and urban assault so I want to make sure they'll be comfortable to pedal around the city.
Anyone ever get any chafing from them?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm deciding if I like them. I've also been eyeing the Rockgardn AirFrame knee/shins. I tried them on once and they fit real good and allowed for a great range of motion, but I know people say that there's not enough coverage on the sides of the knees.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The crossing of the two upper straps chaffed me a little bit, I'd like to find some kind of knee "sock" in an Under Armour type material to put on the knee before the pad anyways. Everything stays in place really nice... I just wanted to make sure my pads were fitting good before I went and got them dirty.

·
Registered
666 Posts
tgreathead said:
I also just got a pair of FR's. I was disappointed at first to find that the lowest strap is too short. It attaches to the elastic rather that reaching the other side of the velcro.
Mine are the same way. It reaches about half on, half off the velcro and is starting to fuzz up the elastic. May wear thru eventually, will just have to see. Mine fit like they're made for someone with really big thighs and really skinny ankles. I still like them for comfort and the coverage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wore mine about 4-5 hours today, including atleast 7 miles of just peddling. Once you get over the chaffing of the crossing straps at the knee (very quickly) the pads feel excellent. They don't move AT ALL. Worth the extra money to get these

·
always learning
539 Posts
Rode yesterday with my Rally FR knee/shins for the first time. I'm VERY impressed. They didn't slip once, and I didn't get chaffed at all. I kept looking over at my buddy with his Fox 911's and had to wait at least twice a run for him to adjust his pads.

Believe the hype, they rock.

--Taylor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts