Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a freshly rebuild, but used, DHS rear, 7.5x2.25, which came off a Karpiel frame. The previous owner was 140lbs and due to a high leverage ratio was running a 600lb spring. I'm putting this pup in service on a Turner RFX (old school one). I'm about 170-185lbs depending on how late in the season. The 600lb spring will work with 6in plates for me, but not the current 5in plates. I'm gonna need to go lighter, like 500lb. I'm also awaiting the 5.5in plates to be available aftermarket.

I emailed Craig at Avalanche and got a very laconic response, essentially telling me to send it in and he would get it ready for my application. The shock is freshly rebuilt and even though I got it for a song, it still wasn't free and I don't want to spend more money getting it tuned at the moment, especially since the fluid and gas are fresh. In addition, I might be running 2.5:1 and then either 2.75:1 or 3:1 leverage ratio, so I want to hold off while I decide on the setup.

I'm wondering if the compression piston shimming will work for me, since I am heavier on a lower leverage frame? In the application in which the 600lb spring will work, I should be OK, right? I might have too much compression damping when I throw a 500lb spring on, but it will most likely manifest itself it less than optimal small bump compliance? Rebound shouldn't matter, since it is a coil shock and it is linear and as long as it is fast enough, all is good, right? And, anyone wants to part with a 500lb spring? :D

Thanks in advance.

_MK

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
No one knows. Trial and error getting the right spring. It would be well worth sending to Craig.

I'm thinking out getting one, but I'd need a much better fork than my Nixon to balance the quality... pushed vanilla RLC? so it gets really expensive. ...but so t's up!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.