Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in other threads for just a bit more cash you can go hydraulic. As seen here:

By the way of a simple google search I found this:

The cheapest BB7 setup: http://greenfishsports.com/product/363_364_367-Brakes-Disc/3900-Avid-Bike-Brake-Avid-Disc-Brake-BB7-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-2009.html

And for only 15 bucks more: http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3864

Why mess with mechanical setups? Get the power of hydraulics. I see these Hayes brakes offered at this price every time I read my MBA Magazine from at least one advertiser.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I can't speak for everyone, but I didn't go with BB7s to save money. They have more than enough power for my needs (XC), and are ridiculously easy to adjust for feel and elimination of rotor rub. This is coming from somebody who had hydros, went to mechanicals, and just built a 29er with little expenses spared.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:madman:

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Kona0197 said:
As I said in other threads for just a bit more cash you can go hydraulic. As seen here:

By the way of a simple google search I found this:

The cheapest BB7 setup: http://greenfishsports.com/product/363_364_367-Brakes-Disc/3900-Avid-Bike-Brake-Avid-Disc-Brake-BB7-Mechanical-Disc-Brake-2009.html

And for only 15 bucks more: http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3864

Why mess with mechanical setups? Get the power of hydraulics. I see these Hayes brakes offered at this price every time I read my MBA Magazine from at least one advertiser.
Your point being....?

Fill us in.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My point is simple. Hydraulics can be had just as cheap as BB7s and are a bit more powerful in my experience. Just my opinion.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
I am really considering taking off my stroker carbons and putting my bb7s' back on my xc race bike. To each their own but I wouldn't trade my bb7s' for nines. The op is right on one account you can get hydros for the same price. I don't know where I'm going with this, but this is a silly thread.

I've said too much......going to bed

·
Live 2 Ride
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I disagree. Bleeding kits are cheap. Bleeding is easy. Not as easy as replacing cables you got me there.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hayes 9s are terrible. Mine frequently drag a pad and dont grab any where near as hard as my BB7. Of course I also find the juicy 3 and hayes sol to be inferior to the BB7. The shimano deore also fails to perform as well. Every time i use my BB7s I am amazed they work so well. All the other cable pull discs seem to be complete rubbish some are worse that v-brakes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Personally, I don't have any difficulty bleeding my hydraulic brakes, but after having to cut three rides short in the last 6 weeks because of other problems with the hydros, my BB7s are back on my bike. I've had *very* few problems with BB7s and nothing that couldn't be corrected in a few seconds on the trails. In my case they were significantly cheaper and the difference in weight wouldn't be a realistic issue unless I was competing at high performance levels, which I can absolutely guarantee will *never* be the case.

·
Registered
445 Posts
As ric426 said, you can adjust anything on the trail that might go wrong the BB7. Simplicity is worth something.

·
Class Clown
3,378 Posts
well i am considering bb7's actually. having had a set of shimano's mech disc for a couple years now they have always been great. easy to adjust and all that. i'm just not sold on the hydro's at this point (took me awhile to get a cell phone). maybe i'll see if I can try them out at the lbs and compare before i decide. I just love the simplicity as bhc said.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Kona0197 said:
My point is simple. Hydraulics can be had just as cheap as BB7s and are a bit more powerful in my experience. Just my opinion.
We are glad you are happy.

Those of us running BB7's are just as happy and are just as entitled to let others know. BB7's are not an inferior product and price is actually not the issue for many.

BB

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Kona0197 said:
Well, sure hydros are more powerful and most of the time lighter, and I'd never go back to cable operated brakes personally...but...people are different and either from expense, simplicity, or both, many feel more comfortable staying with cable discs. No need to bash your head on the wall, it's just a personal choice that some make. Choices are good. I think most people who are leary of hydros eventually come around to them after riding with friends and others who have excellent service from hydros. And if they don't, it's still one's right to stay with decently operating cable discs if they so choose.

The only time I get a little ticked is when I hear someone crowing about how their BB7's or whatever are kicking the tail out of everyone's hydros in stopping performance. One guy even came on here and claimed that his BB7's were stronger than his Code 5's. Yeah right...Code 5's without any brake fluid in them maybe. BB7's are the best cable operated brakes around IMO, but there's a measurable performance difference compared to quality hydros unless something is wrong with the hydros. But...they work well enough to be better than rim brakes...until the guy comes around here saying that his rim brakes are better than disc brakes in general in stopping performance.:D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Berkley said:
Yes
Berkley said:
NO
Berkley said:
not cheap
NO
What I used to bleed my hayes:
- Dot3 = $4
- Syringe + needle = $1.50
- Rubber tubing = $0.50
- Small crescent wrench = $5
- Small Phillips driver = $3.50
Grand total = $14.50

To replace cables:
- Cable = $4
- Allen wrench = $3
- Cable cutter = $17
Grand total = $24

If you throw all the tools out the window, a cable replacement still costs $4/wheel. A bleed costs $4 for.... well I've bleed 4 times on the same bottle.

Also, don't forget that for your $45, BB7 doesn't come w/ levers or cables. For your $60, the HFX9 comes w/ everything. So the Hayes are really cheaper as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
so if you want the cheapest solution go with Hayes... I want something more reputable so either BB7 or Elixir - have them both

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My experience with Hydro's vs. Mechanicals, you need to pay closer attention to the maintenance on the Hydros because you can't really fix them if something goes wrong on the trail. With the BB7's, you can adjust them out on the trail very easily.

On my XC bike with 4 inch travel, BB7's were excellent brakes. On my AM bike (5 1'2 inch travel, the BB7's were not slowing me down, so went with Hydros.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Don't understand the bashing 9's. I have them on my Heckler and they work great. They have yet to fail me in any situation after about 3 years. Bleeding them is cake.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts