Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
650b me
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a stupid question, but what exactly does the "max" line mean on my Thomson seatpost? Typically, manufacturers scribe a minimum insertion line on their seatposts. Does Thomson mean this is the maximum amount of seatpost that can be exposed out of the seat tube? I've never heard of a maximum insertion line.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
golden boy said:
Maybe a stupid question, but what exactly does the "max" line mean on my Thomson seatpost? Typically, manufacturers scribe a minimum insertion line on their seatposts. Does Thomson mean this is the maximum amount of seatpost that can be exposed out of the seat tube? I've never heard of a maximum insertion line.
Maximum extension line. Same thing as minimum insertion.

·
3,707 Posts
Note that the FRAME manufacturer may have a different standard on the minimum insertion than the seat post company. General rule of thumb--go by the frame company's recommendation.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
p nut said:
Note that the FRAME manufacturer may have a different standard on the minimum insertion than the seat post company. General rule of thumb--go by the frame company's recommendation.
I have never seen a frame that gives a seat post minimum insertion number, or one supplied with a post that has a different min line than the aftermarket post.

I have read general recommendations to have the bottom of the post below the bottom of the top tube, but it did not come from a bike company.

Do you have examples?

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
shiggy said:
I have never seen a frame that gives a seat post minimum insertion number, or one supplied with a post that has a different min line than the aftermarket post.

I have read general recommendations to have the bottom of the post below the bottom of the top tube, but it did not come from a bike company.

Do you have examples?
My Specialized SX Trail has it for SURE (2007) ... fairly certain my Enduro did too (2003). There is a hole drilled in the seattube; if you don't see a post, it's not in far enough.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,541 Posts
ettore said:
My Specialized SX Trail has it for SURE (2007) ... fairly certain my Enduro did too (2003). There is a hole drilled in the seattube; if you don't see a post, it's not in far enough.
My 03 Stumpy FSR has that little hole, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts