Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'10" and thus right between Medium and Large size Stumpjumper FSR. I chose a medium and I am generally happy that I did. The bike is super maneuverable, and stable enough while descending, although I do have to be careful to get my weight back.

I got a 400mm Ritchey Comp seatpost that was light and pretty inexpensive, and allows me to raise the seatpost enough to get full leg extension on climbs. The mount on it is set back a bit from being directly above the shaft, like a lot of seatposts.

Even with my seat all the way back, I feel like I might benefit from a bit more distance between the seat and bars. I'm running a 105mm stem, and don't really want to be any farther forward.

When I bought the Ritchey post, it looked to me like the setback was about the same as a Thomson angled post, because the Thomson mount is directly above the shaft, whereas the Ritchey is set back a bit- seemed like both would put the rider at about the same place.

I am curious if I have this right- does the Thomson setback post really set you back farther than the many posts that have the mount back a bit already? More specifically, would a Thomson 30.9 x 367 be a better choice than the later version 2-bolt mount Ritchey Comp 30.9 x 400mm if I want to stretch the cockpit out a tad?

Thanks for any clues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The lay back sets you back exactly as far as any Easton. The straight Thompson on the other hand really pushes you forward. IMO the lay back should be thought of as the "standard". Go to your LBS and line them all up side by side and you'll see what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Position doesn't change THAT much

The setback in this posts is to compensate the tendency that two bolt adjustment systems usually position the seat a little forward. The final seat position when compared to a single bolt adjust doesn't change that much. However it looks really cool, I love my Thomson.

I am around 5' 11", but I use a Large (Epic Comp).

Hope I could help....

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
riverrat said:
I am curious if I have this right- does the Thomson setback post really set you back farther than the many posts that have the mount back a bit already? More specifically, would a Thomson 30.9 x 367 be a better choice than the later version 2-bolt mount Ritchey Comp 30.9 x 400mm if I want to stretch the cockpit out a tad?
Thomson layback fall short in this area. They only provide for about 16mm of setback compared to a straight post. Considering also that Thomson uses a relatively large 40mm rail clamp compared to others, you're not getting a whole lot of rearward shift.

By comparision, Salsa Shaft give about 23mm, as *I believe* do the Ritcheys. Race Face XY is closer to 25mm, as is Easton. They all have smaller clamps, so they all provide additional setback compared to Thomson.

But then you miss out on the Thomson 1 piece quality and superior strength. I haven't had a problem with Ritchey, Race Face or Salsa post, but Thomson stands tall as the better post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.